Your most recent gig

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Steve Hackett at the Brook Southampton

I have been watching Steve for about 30 years, but I have never seen him and the band play as well. Music of a technically high standard played with real joy. The venue is great too. Intimate, good acoustics and decent beer.

A

Anonymous

Went to see the Levellers at Leeds academy last thursday 26/11/09 fifth time ive seen em and apart from first time probably the best! Going to see Rammstein in febuary cant wait for that gig!

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Went to Depeche Mode in the 02 ( Dublin ) last night, absoutley amazing.........

Dave Gahan is one of the best frontmen ever..........

A

Anonymous

The Union at The Garage, Islington, 15th December.

Luke Morley from Thunder with Pete Shoulder from Winterville, and ex-Thunder bassist Chris Childs. First gig for the new band, and very good they were too. When they've got some more material they'll be great value. No-one can ever replace Thunder though!

Highway

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Gary Numan at The Corporation (Sheffield).

Saw him just over a month ago performing all of the Pleasure Principle album as part of his 30th anniversary album tour. I have seen Numan on many occasions and I always come away thinking how awesome he was and this gig was no exception. Not a lavish show (the venue size does not permit it) but what there was I found exciting and complimentary to the music.

Once Numan had finished the PP album material, he segued into his more current sound which is a lot heavier and darker, where he builds tension and builds songs to the point of explosion. I just love the mix of synths and guitars in an almost NIN'esq way.

I am not surprised Numan has seen a resurgence in popularity. The albums Jagged and Pure are never off my iPod Touch, it's just a good job mp3's don't wear out !!!!

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Steve Hackett at the Brook in Southampton, almost a year since he last played there. Although he is still touring the same album, the set was changed considerably from last year and it was wonderful to hear numbers he has never played before in his 36 year solo career. He is fanatastic musician - I have yet to see a more inventive use of the guitar. A brilliant evening that made a lot of his middle aged fans very happy.

AudioPlaya

Mar 28, 2009
Visit site
The Phantom Band again last night at the Brudenell in Leeds, another awesome show from those guys.... a slightly crazy Scottish synth-guitar-folk-pop-bonkersness outfit.

Second album The Wants is another winner to join Checkmate Savage, just hope they get some success, "The best band youve never heard of"

A

Anonymous

bretty:
Grant Lee Buffalo. Melbourne, Australia. 1999.

Really?

Ludovico Einaudi 25th November 2010 Leeds Town Hall. Very Nice Indeed.

Athlete 1st Dec; Band of Horses 26th Jan and Mogwai 17th Feb.

Oh, and a small matter of RUSH 19th May in Manchester and 21st May in Newcastle!

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Massive Attack, Hammersmith Odeon (or whatever it's called these days), 11/02/2010.

A fine bunch of decent and very cool human beings who gave a fabulous performance; stunning light show plus images on the rear-screen gizmo thingy (spooky tech); an extraordinary and breathtaking sound system that was internal-organ-rumbling loud/deep, yet had zero distortion with uncanny levels of detail.
emotion-19.gif

But, the evening was ruined by the ever-present breed of peasant that seems to attend all contemporary gigs: numerous bunches of bumptious tosspots in the audience who stand around jabbering, incessantly.
emotion-39.gif

Even at the front there's no escape from the chit-chat
emotion-12.gif
- it was like standing in a packed pub with a jukebox playing - as these YouTube vids demonstrate (limitations of camcorder's SQ accepted):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg8dKTzhO5A&playnext=1&list=PL296C4738D1697CB1&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eoFoVTBNa8&playnext=2&list=PL296C4738D1697CB1

southdownswolf

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
Placebo @ Brixton Academy 27/09/10

Really dissapointed.
I have meant to go and see them for years but for one reason or another, never have. Was expecting a big show, but left feeling a little flat.

Support band - Little Fish - however, were excellant.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Graham_Thomas:bretty:

Really?

Yep. I'm not including festivals (I used to work at 'V' in Chelmsford from '96 - '04). I have to really love a band to want see them live, otherwise I find gigs boring. There's only been three gigs that i've been to that i've really loved: Counting Crows at the Apollo, Radiohead (OK Computer Tour) at the Brighton Centre and the GLB gig over in OZ.

EDIT: I forgot. My most recent gig was actually Iron Maiden at Twickenham in 2008. The Sound was so rubbish at that gig, that I couldn't wait for it to be over.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
bretty:Graham_Thomas:bretty:

Really?

Yep. I'm not including festivals (I used to work at 'V' in Chelmsford from '96 - '04). I have to really love a band to want see them live, otherwise I find gigs boring. There's only been three gigs that i've been to that i've really loved: Counting Crows at the Apollo, Radiohead (OK Computer Tour) at the Brighton Centre and the GLB gig over in OZ.

EDIT: I forgot. My most recent gig was actually Iron Maiden at Twickenham in 2008. The Sound was so rubbish at that gig, that I couldn't wait for it to be over.

What about 'Designs Of Chaos' at The Purple Turtle, Camden on 11/12?
emotion-5.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:bretty:Graham_Thomas:bretty:

Really?

What about 'Designs Of Chaos' at The Purple Turtle, Camden on 11/12?
emotion-5.gif

Oh, gutted! I'm seeing 'Sketches of Order' at the Lime Lizard, that night.
emotion-5.gif

Are you gigging much next year, BC? Keep me in the loop with the dates, I wouldn't mind checking you guys out. The few tracks you put up a while ago sounded good.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
mikegtar:Lenny Kravitz supported by Blind Melon. Sandiego University, October 1993.

Always good when the support band are better than the headliners.

What?

Anyway, R.E.M., N.E.C., Feb 23rd 2005.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Neurosis at 'Koko' in Camden last night.

Very good show, bit too much new stuff for me, but when they cranked out the classics, the crowd went nuts. There can't be many heavier bands out there.

I would like to say how good the staff at Koko were. As we walked in, someone spotted my Wife was limping, when they found out she was recovering from a broken leg, they offered her a seat in a special disabled area. We didn't have to ask or anything.

Well done Koko.
emotion-21.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Next one is 'Designs of Chaos' at The Purple Turtle in Camden, this Saturday.
emotion-21.gif
emotion-2.gif

Still debating whether to splash out on tickets for Fear Factory on 19/12/10....... Just paid £250 for a service & M.O.T, and the car insurance is gonna be about the same again, so might have to skip them this time.
emotion-6.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts