Your most disappointing upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Regrets, I've had a few.

I'm pretty useless at remembering model numbers of kit, don't know how you guys do it.

In my early days I made a number of mistakes; My first serious pair of speakers Warfdale Dentons I think, the base drivers blew and I rushed into a brand I'd never heard of Tensai and they were awful. Next I changed from a Sony cassette deck that developed a fault with a Technics which left an audible click between each track after stopping to start the next.

More recently, after buying the ATC SCM40's original model, I only lived with them for 6 months before finding Harbeth.

Now I think, certainly hope, I've found the brands I'll stay with till I shuffle off this mortal coil, or the HiFi does first.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
( EDITED ) Not an upgrade per se but I needed a second amp with phono. Bought "Yamaha AS 701" ( quite cheap ) on the spur of the moment. Although I use it with good speakers ( what saves the sound ) and has a decent phono stage, this amp is pretty average sounding. I still give it a go. The big advantage of this amp is that it goes loud clean without clipping and has a nice sounding phono. That's it. Not bad amp for the price ! I only compare it to other more expensive HiFi pieces I had.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but being a long time fan of various Creek amps, a spur of the moment impulse buy at the end of last year of their new 50A amp failed to wow me, Looked lovely, a nice remote, good features etc. but ultimately quite dull. My initial enthusiasm soon waned and when I hooked up my NVA power amp to compare I knew instantly that the Creek had to go. To be fair though the NVA amp is outstanding and I would happily pit it against any similarly priced amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts