Your favorite hifi publication?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
shadders said:
Hi,

People have complained that in Hifi News equipment is too expensive. So I was just asking what people deem to be expensive.

Regards,

Shadders.

There is no such thing as HiFi News equipment. They do review some expensive kit, as do all other publications, but expensive is debatable, it's all relative.

If you can afford a £50,000 pair of speakers then they are not expensive to you.

shadders

Al ears said:
shadders said:
Hi,

People have complained that in Hifi News equipment is too expensive. So I was just asking what people deem to be expensive.

Regards,

Shadders.

There is no such thing as HiFi News equipment. They do review some expensive kit, as do all other publications, but expensive is debatable, it's all relative.

If you can afford a £50,000 pair of speakers then they are not expensive to you.
Hi, I never knew that, I thought all kit reviewed was made by Hifi News. Thank you for correcting me.

Regards,

Shadders

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
shadders said:
Al ears said:
shadders said:
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi, I never knew that, I thought all kit reviewed was made by Hifi News. Thank you for correcting me.

Regards,

Shadders

?

drummerman said:
shadders said:
Al ears said:
shadders said:
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Regards,

Shadders

?

? Indeed.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
is Hifi News, yes I agree with some of the comments that most of the equipment reviewed is out of most (if not all) peoples reach but we can all dream I guess.

*music2*

shadders said:
macdiddy said:
is Hifi News, yes I agree with some of the comments that most of the equipment reviewed is out of most (if not all) peoples reach but we can all dream I guess.

*music2*
Hi,

What do you consider to be out of reach?

The Audiolab 8300A retails for £900, and receives rather good reviews. The reason I ask, is that I have designed an amplifier that essentially will be a mono block. Similar to the Musical Fidelity M8700m, but with half the rated power, same technical performance with regards to THD etc. but the power supply will be uprated to 66,000uF and a 1kVA transformer. I have used 8 pairs of output transistors to ensure low THD with high current levels, which should be able to drive difficult loudspeaker loads. I would expect my amplifier to retail at about £3,000.

Regards,

Shadders.

Interesting, but nothing to do with this thread, and I would suggest you will be lucky to sell many at that price.

shadders

Al ears said:
shadders said:
macdiddy said:

*music2*
Hi,

The Audiolab 8300A retails for £900, and receives rather good reviews. The reason I ask, is that I have designed an amplifier that essentially will be a mono block. Similar to the Musical Fidelity M8700m, but with half the rated power, same technical performance with regards to THD etc. but the power supply will be uprated to 66,000uF and a 1kVA transformer. I have used 8 pairs of output transistors to ensure low THD with high current levels, which should be able to drive difficult loudspeaker loads. I would expect my amplifier to retail at about £3,000.

Regards,

Shadders.

Interesting, but nothing to do with this thread, and I would suggest you will be lucky to sell many at that price.
Hi,

I can see that you have Tom Evans Audio Design in your signature. I checked their Web site and their power amplifier, mono version is £6,000. Did you buy a pair from them?

I agree, at the greater than £1,000 price, people spending in this region will be fewer. Economies of scale still means the cost of the parts, including metal work, power supply, etc., means the cost to build cannot be reduced very much, so not seling many is expected.

Regards,

Shadders.

shadders said:
Al ears said:
shadders said:
macdiddy said:

*music2*
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

I can see that you have Tom Evans Audio Design in your signature. I checked their Web site and their power amplifier, mono version is £6,000. Did you buy a pair from them?

I agree, at the greater than £1,000 price, people spending in this region will be fewer. Economies of scale still means the cost of the parts, including metal work, power supply, etc., means the cost to build cannot be reduced very much, so not seling many is expected.

Regards,

Shadders.

With apologies to drummerman for diverting his thread I will answer you.

I have his stereo power amplifier, and didn't pay anything like the overinflated price that dealers charge.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
to me anything over £400 would be out of reach at the moment unless my lucky numbers come up, most of my recent buys have been won through bidding on ebay, my last major purchase was a secondhand (one previous owner) naim cd5 cd player as a buy-it-now price of £550 (about half price), there is no way I could buy this new at its current price.

*music2*

shadders

Al ears said:
shadders said:
Al ears said:
shadders said:
macdiddy said:

*music2*
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

I have his stereo power amplifier, and didn't pay anything like the overinflated price that dealers charge.
Hi, Thanks. Regards, Shadders.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
shadders said:
Al ears said:
shadders said:
macdiddy said:

*music2*
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Not at all. I am sure the price range of stuff covered has a lot to do with readership demographics.

I don't think many people not interested in hifi would ever pick up a copy of HifiWorld/News&RR but they may pick up a copy of this mag if tv's or phones are covered.

If you're into Hifi the divide is perhaps less clear cut. I for one can't afford the majority of products covered in HifiNews but still like reading about it so that when I win the lottery I won't have to much research to do and just place my orders.

shadders

macdiddy said:
to me anything over £400 would be out of reach at the moment unless my lucky numbers come up, most of my recent buys have been won through bidding on ebay, my last major purchase was a secondhand (one previous owner) naim cd5 cd player as a buy-it-now price of £550 (about half price), there is no way I could buy this new at its current price.

*music2*
Hi, Thanks.

For me I would always save up for such a purchase, as changing hifi is a rare occasion for myself. So i would spend £2,000 on an integrated if I was sure I would keep it for quite some time. My previous Audiolab 8000A I had for 20 years before I purchasd the CA Azur 650A.

My preference is Hifi News, as they always have pictures of the design internals, which allows you to gauge quite accurately whether you are paying for the name or style (including current vogue in amplifier topology), or you will be receiving a product where the price contains a significant percentage of the actual costs to build. I would hate to spend such a large sum on a brand name, which is a case filled with air. With Hifi News also providing details of the system performance, which far exceeds the literature information, allows one to ascertain a reasonable understanding of the product design.

Regards,

Shadders.

drummerman said:
Al ears said:
shadders said:
Al ears said:
shadders said:
macdiddy said:

*music2*
Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Not at all. I am sure the price range of stuff covered has a lot to do with readership demographics.

I don't think many people not interested in hifi would ever pick up a copy of HifiWorld/News&RR but they may pick up a copy of this mag if tv's or phones are covered.

If you're into Hifi the divide is perhaps less clear cut. I for one can't afford the majority of products covered in HifiNews but still like reading about it so that when I win the lottery I won't have to much research to do and just place my orders.

Exactly the reason I read just about all of them on and off. Already got my lottery win system planned in my head thanks to these publications. ;-)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Covenanter said:
steve_1979 said:
I like WHF best because it's the HiFi magazine equivalent of The Sun newspaper and doesn't take itself too seriously.

But no pics of girls with their t*ts out!

Chris

Pictures of half naked women draping themselves over various pieces of HiFi equipment would definitely be an improvement.

I can't deceide which one I like more WHF or WTF magazine

lpv said:
steve_1979 said:
Covenanter said:
steve_1979 said:
I like WHF best because it's the HiFi magazine equivalent of The Sun newspaper and doesn't take itself too seriously.

But no pics of girls with their t*ts out!

Chris

Pictures of half naked women draping themselves over various pieces of HiFi equipment would definitely be an improvement.

I can't deceide which one I like more WHF or WTF magazine

Going back a bit in some publications there were women draped over kit, not half naked I admit but there anyway. Mostly the kit was the eye candy. :)

shadders

macdiddy said:

*music2*
Hi,

The Audiolab 8300A retails for £900, and receives rather good reviews. The reason I ask, is that I have designed an amplifier that essentially will be a mono block. Similar to the Musical Fidelity M8700m, but with half the rated power, same technical performance with regards to THD etc. but the power supply will be uprated to 132,000uF and a 1kVA transformer per channel. I have used 8 pairs of output transistors to ensure low THD with high current levels, which should be able to drive difficult loudspeaker loads. I would expect my amplifier to retail at about £3,000.

Regards,

Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts