• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Question Your be all and end all amplifier, and now it's not.....

Al ears

Have you ever bought that 'forever' amplifier only to realise that it is no longer that?
I bought my Tom Evans Audio amplification directly from the man himself and it was stunning. Not cheap I admit but in those days I had the money and it did more than I wanted and more.
These days, with my hearing failing slightly in one ear, and the wife working from home, I no longer feel I am able to use it as I once did.
It has no balance control, and perhaps more importantly, no headphone socket.
I am actively looking for a replacement that has both and this is purely down to age and current circumstances.
My thoughts are turning now to the likes of Parasound Halo Hint 6 (designed by another amplifier guru Mr. Curl) and the good old Luxman brand.
Anyone else found out their desired classic turned out to be not quite that?

DougK

Dec 8, 2013
I thought my previous amp, (Marantz Pearl Lite/PM8004), would be my be all and end all, with no need for any changes... until I plugged it in! I could hardly tell any difference from the PM6004 it replaced, I was totally underwhelmed by it. I was not in a position to do much about it and I guess over the 6 years of ownership I resigned myself to the fact that I had to be content with it, but if I'm honest I was never truly satisfied with its performance unless I cranked the volume dial. It was a good amp but just not as spectacular as I had hoped.

My recent purchase has confirmed to me that I should have jumped two levels if I wanted to hear a significant difference in performance. A lesson learnt.

Reactions: Al ears

Jez l

May 1, 2020
I think and hope I'm in the opposite camp.

Every bit of gear in my system only has one function. I like this approach as I just have to swap out one bit of gear if the upgrade bug bites.

I like the sound of my power amps and they are powerful so I see no reason to change for the foreseeable.

Reactions: Al ears

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS