New All-in-one amplifier

Aslund

Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
Hello everyone

My name is Sebastian and I have an old system from my days as a student, which consists of and NAD 114 + 216 combo together with Dali 850 speakers. I have later added a Cambridge DacMagic for digital audio.

With age comes comfort and while I am still happy about the sound of my system, then it is a bother to use. No remote control of the sound. No streaming capabilities so I have to use the TV as medium.

Original I planned to change everything and get a smaller amplifier and bookshelf speaker, but when I was at the local hifi shop I really missed my Dali 850. So I have tried to come up with another solution. My Dali 850 is quite power hungry and needs a decent amp.
I also like HDMI Arc for connecting my TV and streaming capabilities.
The only product I have found that matches the criteria is Cambridge Audio Evo 150

As an alternative I have also look at the NAD C298 poweramp but I have been unable to find a preamp that supports both HDMI Arc and Chromecast.

I must say I am really drawn to the Evo 150. It looks nice and have everything I need but it is a lot to pay. On the other hand will a NAD C298 + preamp properly be same or more.

I hope you can give your thoughts on this matter :)

Thank you.
Sebastian

D

Deleted member 116933

It depends if you really want to change everything, you could just add a streamer/DAC like the new 2021 blue sound node 2i for 500 quid. Has the eArc you want and one of the most stable streaming platforms around. This would just replace your dac magic.

I haven't heard or tried any CA products so can't comment on the EVO 150 and i doubt many can considering they have only just come on the market, but they seem to be getting good write-ups and if you want a change give it a listen sound like a good product. I'd probably also listen to the naim uniti atom as well

If you don't want to spend that much there's the Sonos amp and the blue sound power node i believe they have eArc support though a toslink will do it as well, i would be in a rush to use eArc personally but that's up to you and beyond the scope of your question.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Gray

Couple of good looking products there Sebastion.
I was interested when I first read about the C298 - and always liked the look of the CA CXN, so the Evo models caught my eye (though there seems to be a theory, from CA too?, that they may not sound better than the CXN or 851N models).
The Evo is obviously more of a 'lifestyle' option than the NAD / pre, better looking with less clutter (the sort of thing women prefer).
With 'all-in-ones' you are putting all your eggs in one basket. You can't separately change or upgrade the streaming, pre or power amp sections should you wish to. Also, if any one part fails, the whole unit goes away for repair - potential issues that may or may not bother you.

A possible alternative would be to look at using either CXN / 851N in preamp mode into the C298......though I doubt it would be cheaper - or have the HDMI ARC facility....:unsure:

Aslund

Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
It depends if you really want to change everything, you could just add a streamer/DAC like the new 2021 blue sound node 2i for 500 quid. Has the eArc you want and one of the most stable streaming platforms around. This would just replace your dac magic.

I haven't heard or tried any CA products so can't comment on the EVO 150 and i doubt many can considering they have only just come on the market, but they seem to be getting good write-ups and if you want a change give it a listen sound like a good product. I'd probably also listen to the naim uniti atom as well

If you don't want to spend that much there's the Sonos amp and the blue sound power node i believe they have eArc support though a toslink will do it as well, i would be in a rush to use eArc personally but that's up to you and beyond the scope of your question.
Thanks for the input Millennia. The new Bluesound Node 2i seems very interesting. I am just hoping to find a device that supports both HDMI Arc and Chromecast. Well. It will be a lot cheaper to buy the Bluesound Node 2i and just run Google Music over the TV. I am just wondering why not many products support these two things together. If one has Chromecast support then there is no HDMI Arc and vise versa.

Aslund

Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
Couple of good looking products there Sebastion.
I was interested when I first read about the C298 - and always liked the look of the CA CXN, so the Evo models caught my eye (though there seems to be a theory, from CA too?, that they may not sound better than the CXN or 851N models).
The Evo is obviously more of a 'lifestyle' option than the NAD / pre, better looking with less clutter (the sort of thing women prefer).
With 'all-in-ones' you are putting all your eggs in one basket. You can't separately change or upgrade the streaming, pre or power amp sections should you wish to. Also, if any one part fails, the whole unit goes away for repair - potential issues that may or may not bother you.

A possible alternative would be to look at using either CXN / 851N in preamp mode into the C298......though I doubt it would be cheaper - or have the HDMI ARC facility....:unsure:
Hey Gray. Thanks for your input. I have also looked at the CA CXN, but it does not have any support for HDMI Arc. It seems trivial but it is nice just to keep one remote. We are already running around trying to find one now >.<
I just wonder why there are no preamps or streamers with both HDMI Arc or Chromecast. I don't mind to settle but on the other hand it just so frustrating. Why can't they join two widely used technologies in one product. Only highly priced products like evo does it.

Reactions: Gray

Vincent Kars

Funny that both Cambridge and NAD are mentioned.
NAD uses the Hypex nCore it its flagship models.
After Bruno Putzey, the developer of the UCD/nCore left Hypex, he co-founded Purifi and developed the Eigentakt.
The Eigentakt is used in the Evo.
Looks like both brands come to the conclusion that these class-d amps cannot be topped by their own developments.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I just wonder why there are no preamps or streamers with both HDMI Arc or Chromecast. I don't mind to settle but on the other hand it just so frustrating. Why can't they join two widely used technologies in one product. Only highly priced products like evo does it.
....often the way that products are almost, but just not quite perfect in terms of facilities.
Some might say they can't have everything (but, as you point out, the expensive one manages to :))
As Millennia suggested above, is optical not an option from your TV?

D

Deleted member 116933

Thanks for the input Millennia. The new Bluesound Node 2i seems very interesting. I am just hoping to find a device that supports both HDMI Arc and Chromecast. Well. It will be a lot cheaper to buy the Bluesound Node 2i and just run Google Music over the TV. I am just wondering why not many products support these two things together. If one has Chromecast support then there is no HDMI Arc and vise versa.

I guess the old adage of trying to fit 5lb of poo in a 1lb bag comes to mind it already does alot and another badge another licence would make it more expensive i guess. Perhaps a move to Spotify might be a better fit?

gaburko

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Funny that both Cambridge and NAD are mentioned.
NAD uses the Hypex nCore it its flagship models.
After Bruno Putzey, the developer of the UCD/nCore left Hypex, he co-founded Purifi and developed the Eigentakt.
The Eigentakt is used in the Evo.
Looks like both brands come to the conclusion that these class-d amps cannot be topped by their own developments.
actually the Evo is not using Purifi, it's Hypex Ncore "only". The only integrated amp that I am aware of that uses the Purifi is the Nad M33. There's a bunch of power amps though

Aslund

Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
Hello everyone

This weekend I had the delight to test out the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 amplifier. Being a 60W @ 8 Ohm and 120W @ 4 Ohm amplifier I had serious concerns it could drive my speakers but boy I was wrong. It handled my speakers superbly and Room Perfect really gave the sound the extra notch.
It was a rollercoaster trying the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 as I felt the sound became more separated and defined. The bass become more agile and tight, but that meant that my speakers 8" woofer started to feel piercing even at moderate volume. The bass also did not sound too convincing, but that the NAD did better, but the warmer and softer sound of the NAD hid the ugly part of my speakers. At least that is how it felt to me as a total non-audiophile.
I am really drawn to the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 and it is 25% cheaper than Cambridge Evo 150 here in Denmark.

But that also means I might bite the bullet and consider replacing my speakers too with some that are more refined and balanced. The Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 is focused on 4 Ohm speakers, which limits the options quite a bit, but I think I have found an interesting range of options. Maybe I have to make a separate thread regarding the topic, but here is the speakers I found. Especially QR5 and Sonus Faber catches my attention with the downward bass port.
DALI OPTICON 6 MK2 - Clear, undistorted and enjoyable (dali-speakers.com)
Dynaudio Emit 50 - Your hi-fi journey starts here
QR 5 – Audiovector
Compact Tower Speaker with Minimalist Design Lumina III | Sonus faber
Luxury Professional Stand Loudspeaker Sonetto III | Sonus faber

TRENDING THREADS