Yes 24 bit downloads

Machinemessiah

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to this. I've just seen a site called HD tracks that is advertising 24 bit 192 and 24 bit 96 downloads of Close to the Edge, Going for the One and the Yes Album. I have ripped these CDs as WAV files to my NAS and was wondering if anybody out there has bought any of these high res downloads and what do they think of them. Any discernable difference over an uncompressed rip of a CD?

Thanks.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I would be very careful. There has never been an SACD/DVDA of Going for the One or the Yes album. An SACD of Close To The Edge is about to be released but Steve Hoffman who is responsible for this says that the HD tracks version is not based on the SACD. My suspicion is that these have just been upsampled and would be a waste of money. FIne albums though they are, I would stick to the ones you have.

Machinemessiah

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that. I suspected they might not be 24 bit remasters. I did have the dvd-a versions of Fragile and Magnification a few years ago but didn't have a system at that time that would have done them justice. No doubt someone will take the plunge, buy them and post a review somewhere. The theory of 24 bit downloads is great but I suspect we may not be able to realise the full benefit in practice. It would be nice if Linn or Mobile Fidelity were the only ones doing them!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
hammill said:
My suspicion is that these have just been upsampled and would be a waste of money. FIne albums though they are, I would stick to the ones you have.

Although of course they could have been mastered from the original analogue master-tapes, as HD Tracks say they were: 'Sourced from Analog Flat Master.'

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
hammill said:
My suspicion is that these have just been upsampled and would be a waste of money. FIne albums though they are, I would stick to the ones you have.

Although of course they could have been mastered from the original analogue master-tapes, as HD Tracks say they were: 'Sourced from Analog Flat Master.'
Well they could, but since Steve Hoffman had the analogue master tapes to create the SACD and he knows nothing about the HD tracks version, I am somewhat dubious.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
hammill said:
Well they could, but since Steve Hoffman had the analogue master tapes to create the SACD and he knows nothing about the HD tracks version, I am somewhat dubious.

Oh well, I guess it's one person's word against another's, then. One has a vested interested in the 192/24 and 96/24 downloads, and the other in the forthcoming SACD.

Y'pays y'money, and y'takes y'choice, I guess.

Machinemessiah

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Please could you tell me what a 'flat master' is? Is there something different about this type of master tape from the one referred to by another member on this thread when he was talking about Steve Hoffman and the upcoming CTTE SACD. Thanks.

Machinemessiah

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that and I apologise for my lack of knowledge here. Does that mean (in your opinion) that a flat master would be the best to use to do hd remastering or would one that had been equalised first be better for that? You see a lot of stuff that says 'remastered from the original master tapes' so it appears that there may be more than one type of master tape? I know the quality of every recording is different but just as a general principle which would be the best ones to look out for? Thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, one assumes a flat master is the one that comes out of the studio – the working master, if you like. But copies will have been made to send to various pressing plants around the world, and these may have been equalised for the purpose they are designed to serve: after all, vinyl records don't carry a 'flat' version of the music, but rather one optimised for the deficiencies of the medium, which is then re-equalised in phono stages on playback to (hopefully) get back to the original sound.

So yes, ideally the original flat master tapes would be the best starting point for remastering.

Machinemessiah

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
You learn something every day! So, going back to my original post, it would seem fair to assume that if Hd tracks have sourced their Yes 24 bit files from someone who has done a proper job of equalising a flat master for the 24 bit medium then they 'should' sound better than a 16 bit file that has also been properly equalised from a flat master?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
One would hope no equalisation would be needed to release the titles as a 24-bit/192kHz – but beyond that, not knowing who did the mastering and from which tapes, it's hard to comment further.

Machinemessiah

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I shall probably buy one and let you know how I get on. I don't have a disc player anymore so I won't be bothering with the SACD versions. Any chance of What Hifi? or Gramophone doing a review themselves?

Machinemessiah

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I've just read a review of the Going For The One 24 bit download in the July issue if HFN & Record Review. The author only gives it 75% citing the title track as being peaky and blaming poor mixing. Is that a problem with how the the 24 bit download has been engineered or a problem with the original master tapes that cannot be rectified to improve SO?

Machinemessiah

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
My quest for the best quality HD Yes music has taken another turn! I have just seen on Amazon that a (very expensive!) limited edition 16 sacd box set of Yes albums up to and including Big Generator entiltled 'High Vibration' is coming out in September this year. These have been mastered in Japan by a couple of Japanese engineers selected by Warner Atlantic Music specially for this job (not Steve Hoffman). The set even includes Yessongs, Yesshows and a bonus disc!!! What has confused me here is that the advertising for these discs says that they have been mastered in 24bit/96khz.. How so if they are sacd? Is that not DVD-audio standard? Can anyone shed any light on this?

chevvies

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
So far, this album + "Tormato" + "Tales." sound great although I know not of the HDT provenance.

I find "GFTO" and "Relayer" quite congested production wise, but I don't think that is a download issue.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Machinemessiah said:
Thanks for that. Anyone any experience of the recent Steve Wilson mastered blu-ray audio disc of Close To The Edge?

I have it. I like it. It is not the best multi channel recording I have, but I think there was only so much that could be done with the original tapes. I am glad I bought it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts