Yep another question about the dac magic, sorry!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Am I right in thinking that if I bought a network hdd, hooked it up to a router, i could do so without the pc being continually on, it would then be detected by the ps3 and thus I could that as the means of then playing lossless? in addition I would then need a good interconnect to hook up the dac magic to the amp, and a good optical cable from the ps3? if so, sheesh i better get saving as this is going to cost in the region of 400.00.

Maybe it would be easier if I looked out for a cracking second hand cd player instead lol, I will have to think about that depending on what the answer is to the question above, cheers guys.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
well, I'm using a 5 quid optical lead from my Airport Express to my beresford, and RCA-DIN cable that cost me about a tenner in parts from Maplin. It sounds great...

but TBH, I reckon that 400 will easily keep up with a 600 quid CD player, with a lot more convenience.

A

Anonymous

was i correct in my assumption that the computer does need to be on when an external network hdd is connected to a router?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
So long as the NAS (Network Attached Storage) device has a DLNA enabled client installed on it, the PS3 will be able to see it without the computer being on. I managed to get TwonkyVision installed on my NAS and can play video files directly from it using the PS3. Some of the Buffalo Terastations have this pre-installed (like this one) and I'm sure there are other manufacturers who do it as well.

Also, you need to make sure that whatever format you're planning to store your music in is compatible with the PS3 so it can play the files once you have them on the NAS.

A

Anonymous

Thanks however this is making me question the point of even bothering. The thing is the general concensus is that to appreciate a dac magic you need to convert cds to lossless, well of course the PS3 does not recognise lossless and so the other alternative is to have a long usb from the pc to the dac magic and thus keeping the pc on. I can discount this as the heat from the pc would make things ridiculous.

Hmmm looks like I am in the market for a cd player which is a substantial improvement on my XB930 then lol

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
There is a way you can stream lossless files to the PS3 using TVersity - PJ Pro is your man for this - his post here goes through it. Failing that, if you use iTunes, the Apple TV might work for you
or you could look at one of the other wireless streamers but I'm not
particularly familiar with them.

Otherwise, as you say, just use the money you would have spent on a NAS on a new CD player!

A

Anonymous

Thanks any recommendations you would make on a second hand cd player if i did take that route> the only one mentioned last time was a Primare but surely there must be many better cd players than the XB930 considering it came out some 6 or 7 years ago.

A

Anonymous

Ah well no problem, although that thread you posted is confusing since FLAC is not supported by PS3 so it wouldn't matter how it was streamed.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:
My understanding is TVersity converts the FLAC to PCM on the fly and then streams it so the PS3 can accept it. It must work as old PJ's being using it for a while now as I understand!

Yep that's right. And don't forget that the PS3 does recognise wav. TVersity exploits this by transcoding flac (or whatever) into wav on the fly.

OK, you need more storage (cheap)....but the payback is simplicity.

A

Anonymous

Ah yes you are spot on thanks, didn't think it supported any lossless format

A

Anonymous

You could always install Linux on your PS3 then it will do anything you tell it.

A

Anonymous

PJPro:Octopo:You could always install Linux on your PS3 then it will do anything you tell it.Have you done that yet?

Not till I get the PS3, the headphone setup has taken priority. Though if anyone on here wants to buy a 360 I'll have it done sooner.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts