Yamaha vs Yamaha

Loup Garou

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Just arrived for our 6 month sojourn in our Indian apartment where I am completing a Home Cinema set-up. The lounge, where the Home Cinema is going to be located, is not very large in itself, but can be described as semi-open plan. The local Yamaha dealer, a friend, has offered me good discounts on 2 setups

1. Yamaha RX-V685 Receiver, P350 Speaker package (Central and two fronts), NS-SW 300 subwoofer and a pair of Musicast 20 (WX 021) rear speakers

OR

2. Yamaha YSP 2700 Soundbar (with its own subwoofer) and the pair of Musicast 20 (WX 021) rear speakers.

Which setup would be better for home movies and music (including CDs)

pras

Sep 26, 2020
Visit site
Just arrived for our 6 month sojourn in our Indian apartment where I am completing a Home Cinema set-up. The lounge, where the Home Cinema is going to be located, is not very large in itself, but can be described as semi-open plan. The local Yamaha dealer, a friend, has offered me good discounts on 2 setups

1. Yamaha RX-V685 Receiver, P350 Speaker package (Central and two fronts), NS-SW 300 subwoofer and a pair of Musicast 20 (WX 021) rear speakers

OR

2. Yamaha YSP 2700 Soundbar (with its own subwoofer) and the pair of Musicast 20 (WX 021) rear speakers.

Which setup would be better for home movies and music (including CDs)
A decent separates system should allow for better sound (stereo separation, wider soundstage etc,). It will also allow more flexibility should you wish to upgrade in the future. I would push towards the separates.

Having said that, I’ve also used that particular soundbar in a small apartment setting before and was pleasantly surprised by the results. But I gave it up to have a little dabble into 2 channel separates. Though I could have easily lived with it in a compromise situation - very high WAF.

Soundbar system easily achieved decent volumes without distortion. Decent with music and movies but movies definitely its stronger suit. The sub did lack a little depth and texture but still decent for an all-in-one system. Be aware that the sub has a very high crossover point with the soundbar so needs some extra care with volume and positioning (which was easy as it is wireless) so as not to overwhelm the rest of the sound.

May also want to check that it is compatible with the wireless surrounds - as true wireless rear surround speakers not just music cast to different zones. I’m pretty sure that when it was released it wasn’t. But there may have been some recent firmware updates to enable this?

Would always recommend a listen to help the decision if your dealer friend allows.

Good luck with the purchase.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts