Compact floorstander with deep rhythemic punchy bass and superb soundstage sweet midrange weight around 18KG par speaker

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Compact floorstander with deep rhythemic punchy bass and superb soundstage sweet midrange weight around 18KG par speaker

Hi everyone, please help me out - I am migrating from UK and due to size as well as weight restriction for check in baggage sold B&W 603, 601'2 . Now i want floorstanders preferrably second hand - bargain or clearance etc with better sound as mentioned below for £250 to £450 with boxes. Cheaper the better

will consider a bookshelf or stand mounter as well with or without subwoofer fulfilling above mentioned requirements as it will help me greatly in weight and size

i have Arcam AVR 250 home cinema reciever and will bi amp them using one extra rear channel ampliifcation .

restrictions are -

Boxed weight with good packaging - maximum 23 kgs par speaker - can not exceed in any way

Dimensions total Height + depth+ width - not more then 158 cm for each box

Requirement- Solid, deep, fast moving punchy bass with superb soundstage- should feel like a live orchestra with good positioning and sweet top end and open clear mid midrange. Out of box sound- dont like when it is easy to pin point the source . Will consider a good standmount bookshelf which fulfills all these requirements as it will save weight and size.

Room, operating envoirment- All concrete walls and concrete flooring with lots of wood furniture like bed, wood frame couch and chair, All windows have thick curtains which should absorb fair deal of sound.

Room size - not sure as of now- but will be big enough for it to breath well and i can keep speakers well clear of wall if required- 2 and half feets

Please suggest speakers Fulfilling all these requirement and if possible guide me to where to buy them from - I am happy with second hand or clearance etc as would liek to save money for rear channel and centre speakers.

I liked Dm 603 s2's but want more bass and has to be deeper and punchier, sound which is less boxy with better soundstage as i found it to be lacking in these parameters also top end was not that good.

1. I looked at Monitor Audio RS8- secondhand but weight and size more then my requirement

2. considered 603 s3 - but have not heard them so dont know how they ar

i have no brand affinity any brand with do - have heard wharfedale EVo's liked the combination of looks and superb sound stage but had evo 20 so needed evo 30 or evo 40 for bass.

will consider a bookshelf or stand mounter as well with or without subwoofer fulfilling above mentioned requirements

I need to buy one pair in 4- 5 days. I will be taking these to airport and thus would prefer if they are as compact as possible.

[EDITED BY MODS no trading, please]

A

Anonymous

Why not buy something in the country to which you're migrating?

A

Anonymous

There are not many Hifi shops , thus almost no ranage of models and prices are lot more expensive with almost no second hand market, thats why.

A

Anonymous

I would look at the Monitor Audio BX5's or the Acoustic Energy AE Neo 3's then in that case

Both superb speakers and will work well with your system IMO

A

Anonymous

i apologise for the comment regarding buying speakers. I just want to know the best possible options

A

Anonymous

re punchy bass-not from monitor audio imo. had silver 8i, gr20 and now gr60--great sound stage, amazing detail, but limited bass-apart from GR60 as long they have right cables. had demo of bronze and they were honest and detailed but neve bass rich.

have you considered b&w's--2nd on ebay all the time, great bass. 602 upwards

good luck and hope your ears get lucky.

A

Anonymous

how will you decribe the sound of these compared to B&W 603 s2

I found this deal, how good these will be for my needs - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 SPEAKERS & SW150 SUBWOOFER 2.1 SPEAKER PACKAGE for £229 delivered - weight as well as size saving- dont know how are these sound wise

Also acoustic energy radiance 3 or radiance 2 aelite 3- they still weigh 22kg packked are in just size limit-supposed to have bright top end and in case of radiance 3, bit muddled bass?

as well as in small size wise dynaudio 2/6- how good are these?

any other recommendationsi am clueless as of now

i have heard neither of these so all my selection is jsut based on reviews. dont know which one is actually befitting my requirement or is better then B&W 603 s2

A

Anonymous

Pedej0e said:
re punchy bass-not from monitor audio imo. had silver 8i, gr20 and now gr60--great sound stage, amazing detail, but limited bass-apart from GR60 as long they have right cables. had demo of bronze and they were honest and detailed but neve bass rich.

Thanks for the reply. i had 603 s2, 601 , good bass but no stereo iamging atleast with Arcam, also i found sound to be bit harsh.

A

Anonymous

ohh, i read that monitor audio BX2 have good bass for a standmount, was considering it to pair with a sub like wharfedale sw150 in a shop to see how it sounds

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
I'd say based on your requirements that from our range the Radiance 2's would best suit, in terms of tight punchy bass and imaging they are one of the best we speakers we make. I haven't submitted them to WHF for review yet but they did get nominated for a speaker of the year award elsewhere and at least a few of our distributors think they're our best current model.

As with any Hi-Fi purchase though I'd never take anyone's opinion as reason to buy something - simply advice on what may be worth having a demo of! :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks AEjim

where can i demo these iand Radiance 3 in Nottingham?

A

Anonymous

Pedej0e said:

No punchy bass from M/A speakers?

IMO you either have the wrong system with the speakers or youre deaf
smiley-tongue-out.gif

I've have had M/A speakers from the BR2's to the BR5's to the GS10's to the GS60's and the M/A RX2's and RX6's lately and they've ALL had punch with clout and great timing

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi Maverick,

In Nottingham your best bet is probably Forum Hi-Fi (01159 622150), they only have the Radiance 3's at present but if you wanted to arrange a demo with them then I'm sure our rep could drop some 2's round. The nearest dealer with both models is Creative Audio (01743 241924) in Shrewsbury... Might be worth checking what other brands they stock so you can get a proper comparison!

Cheers,

Jim.

A

Anonymous

Hi Jim

I apologise for late reply, been caught up in work. how will y ou compare Radiance 2 with radiance 3's. what is the difference?

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
I'd say the basic character is the same, all the Radiance speakers were designed with "musicality" in mind - they're all fairly tight, rhythmic and well integrated. They're basically quite fun to listen to! There's a mild emphasis on percussion (intentional) which helps them project well, though this does mean I wouldn't necessarily partner them with similarly excitable equipment. I don't like them on Cyrus too much, work very well on Naim though - your Arcam should be a good match, we used to use it in testing and shared distrubution in a few countries where they two brands were often paired up.

The 3's offer deeper bass and huge power, the 2's go less deep but have a very solid bass and the mid/treble area is a little smoother, they have the better imaging and soundstaging because of it. I'd definitely go for a demo against relevant competition if possible - I've yet to hear a dealer/customer say anything but positives about the Radiance speakers but as always you should try before you buy! :)

A

Anonymous

thanks , appreciated. i am leaning towards 2's but how deep does the bass go? have you heard cm7's will bass be equal or more?

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
I've only heard the CM1's from that range so can't really comment on the CM7's (not that I really can ethically speaking anyway!).

On paper the CM7's go to 34Hz at -6dB, the Radiance 2's will be sitting at around 38Hz -6dB. This seems about right as the CM7's sit halfway between the Radiance 2's and 3's size-wise.

The on-paper figures can only say so much really though, the character and delivery, colouration, timing etc all matter more in the real world - that's why I recommend listening if possible.

I'm pretty sure the B&W's will offer more bass due to cabinet size and 6.5" driver if that's what you're after. :)

A

Anonymous

The Dynaudio Dm2/6 does offer good bass for sure. They've non-metallic tweeter as well. Although you need to invest in a good pair of stands, if you're looking for tight bass.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts