Yamaha RX-V667 - KEF Q series, Polk Audio RTi, Klipsch Reference

Sadiq

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I have been researching for a home theatre setup. My music needs are minimal and most usage is film based surround material (bluray's). The room is 18 feet x 15 feet with a marble floor. I have a Yamaha rx-v667 avr.I have a US$1500 budget, which I may be able to stretch to $2k if I make the right forlorn faces at my g/f.

I am not a passionate audiophile but I like a great sonic presentation as well as the next guy.

At first I had been looking into KEF 2005.3 and 3005se and Focal Dome 5.1, priced at $1150/$1600/$2350 respectively, in my country. I really liked the Dome's overall performance but felt the 2005's were great value for price and performance. And I loved the Kef's sound.

The dealer then asked me to listen to the Polk Audio RTi's 5.1 setup as well as the Klipsch Reference series RC-52's also in a 5.1 setup. The sound was obviously fuller and more detailed and 'impact-ful' than the sub/sat's I had been listening too, but so was the price tag. Lastly he offered me a deal on a KEF Q100 5.1 package (4x q100, 1x q200c, 1 q400b) for $2k all in with good QED wiring and 2 stands. Trouble is that's an import item here and not in stock so I cannot audition it before buying.

My question:

If anyone has used the Kef's and knowing I liked the kef's sound on their smaller ht system, would they recommend I go for the kef deal, and if so would my AVR be good with it?

If I go with the 2005.3's, is my room size too big for them to fill nicely, since the dealers test area was much smaller?

All these systems have great reviews from one source or another - but every forum I read says I should not fork out this much cash on a sub/sat system If I can get a 'separates' package - would that apply to the Kef q100 package described above too?

Any suggestions/comments would be very appreciated. Sorry for the long post but I need to do something asap before my g/f changes her mind and we have to invest in a godforsaken painting again, instead :-s

Thanks.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi, You can see my system in my signature below.....I use this in a 14' x 12' room.

My friend has had the KEF 2005.2 egg set up in a room smaller than mine, and it sounds really good....although he has now upgraded to bigger KEF speakers.(We both love the KEF sound)

So to your questions:

1) If you love the eggs, you will love the Q series speakers, in my opinion. Your receiver would work fine with that deal.

2)Personally I'd expect the eggs to be room filling, but the KEF Q100 to fill it better. Saying that, if it was my money, I'd want front floorstanders in that sized room, where possible.

3)Tradional speaker have less limitations, so spending more is a good investment.

To conclude, if your room lay out allows, maybe look into bigger floorstanders at the front and eggs/T series speakers at the back? As for the KEF sub....it's good, but you could get better for less money (BK XLS200 for example), which may free up some money for the KEF Q500's perhaps?

Sadiq

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply. Changing the sub and trying for Q500's is a good idea. Will have a talk with the dealer about this tomorrow. Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts