Yamaha RX-V1900 or Marantz SR6003 Recomendation?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello All,

I'm hoping that someone might have had the benefit of listening to either (or both) of the aforementioned recievers. I know the yamaha is slightly more expensive but they both fall within my £800 (approx) budget.

The reciever will be used for music as well so this is a significant requirement. I realise that they will never be the same as a dedicated hifi amp but funds won't stretch that far at the moment. Speakers are KefIQ5se's (front & rear).

From what I understand the Maranantz is quite musical, but while the yamaha is also highly rated, the yamaha sound is quite bright and may not therefore pair well with the speakers, Not sure this is correct or not?

Any thoughts / recomendations anyone?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Yamaha would be my choice especially with the Kefs - they work very well together. The Marantz is very good but the Yamaha still outclasses it with 2ch and surround IMO.

Nick

A

Anonymous

Hi for what it is worth I have a Marantz 5003, I use JPW Mini Monitors as front speakers (small room) using the source direct eg cutting out and sound processing stereo sources like CD's sound superb. I assume the 6003 will be of similar or higher quality.

A

Anonymous

Heckler19 - You assume the 6003 will be similar or higher quality than the 5003. Can anyone confirm, is it extra features (such as the extra HDMI out) or improvements in components/better audio quality that makes the 6003 more expensive. In other words, if we didn't need the extra features would the sound from the 5003 be on a par with the 6003?

I'm looking at the 1900 and 6003 at the moment. Can anybody recommend a dealer in the south east who can audition both (and ideally also a Pioneer SC-LX71) ?

What would people say are the characteristic differences between the Yamaha's and the Marantz's.

Any news on a 6003 review WHF team?

A

Anonymous

Monkeyfist:

In other words, if we didn't need the extra features would the sound from the 5003 be on a par with the 6003?

That's a good question!

Does anyone have a 6003? Could you possibly confirm whether there are any differences in SQ compared to the 5003?

Many thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi ppl

Here is my 1st post.

I sked my self the same question 6003 or the 1900.Listened to both these amps,dragge the wife along cos she likes the music.

Listen to a 663 which sound good but when we listen to 1900 compare by listening in demo room same song in stereo the was far superior to the point my wife called 663 tinny lol.My wife is a Celine dion fan so we took the vegas bluray and that sounded fantastic and im no fan.

Now Ihad listened the 6003 by my self during the week and sales guy had punted it saying it was much better than the yamaha's.

listed to music and a couple of dvd's no blu ray,found it a little bit painful on the ears.

took my wife to lsten to it same music cd as was played in the 1900 was probably more in the same league as the 663.

We put Celine Dion blu ray on,well may be it was the way it was set up but once again was pain ful and to much base, my wife had

to get up and go out of the room.

Im lfrom South Africa and there is quite a difference in RRP between these to amps around about R8000.00 differnce with the 1900

being the more expensive,I bought the 1900,for me much better.

A

Anonymous

Hi Gung Fu,

What speakers and source were used when you auditioned?

Also, going back to whimsical's comment, has anyone auditioned the 6003 and 5003? Any SQ difference?

If no one has, are there any dealers who could field the question?

TIA

A

Anonymous

Gung fu:

Hi ppl

Here is my 1st post.

I sked my self the same question 6003 or the 1900.Listened to both these amps,dragge the wife along cos she likes the music.

Listen to a 663 which sound good but when we listen to 1900 compare by listening in demo room same song in stereo the was far superior to the point my wife called 663 tinny lol.My wife is a Celine dion fan so we took the vegas bluray and that sounded fantastic and im no fan.

Now Ihad listened the 6003 by my self during the week and sales guy had punted it saying it was much better than the yamaha's.

listed to music and a couple of dvd's no blu ray,found it a little bit painful on the ears.

took my wife to lsten to it same music cd as was played in the 1900 was probably more in the same league as the 663.

We put Celine Dion blu ray on,well may be it was the way it was set up but once again was pain ful and to much base, my wife had

to get up and go out of the room.

Im lfrom South Africa and there is quite a difference in RRP between these to amps around about R8000.00 differnce with the 1900

being the more expensive,I bought the 1900,for me much better.

Hello Gung Fu,

Thanks for the advice! Very Helpful!

I might be wrong but it looks like the 663 is the USA equivalent of the AX763 (in the UK). Given that the 6003 is about twice the price of a 763 in this country, I'm not overly encouraged by the the comparison in music performance. Reading between the lines it sounds as though the 1900 may well be worth the extra £100 (ish).

Am I right in my understanding that the "Yamaha sound" is considered quite bright?

A

Anonymous

Of course getting my hands on a 1900 is a different matter.....

...Sorry Melon123 is of course me whimsical, I'm logged in on my wifes account doh!

A

Anonymous

Ahh! nice one Melon123, I didn't notice that. I thought Gung Fu had mis-typed and meant the 6003 when he said 663, now all is clear!

A

Anonymous

Monkeyfist:Ahh! nice one Melon123, I didn't notice that. I thought Gung Fu had mis-typed and meant the 6003 when he said 663, now all is clear!

Hello MonkeyFist,

I see that you are also considering the 6003. From what I can gather from comments on other forums the SQ is comparable to the 5003. The major difference between the two is the 6003 has a GUI, USB input and an extra 10 watts of power. Is this your understanding also?

A

Anonymous

Hi Whimsical,

To be honest, the 5003 6003 comparison was triggered in my head when initially reading this thread, therefore I have not investigated.

As you have, and people have said they are comparable, was it a similar sound or did any of your research point to better componentry used.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hello!

Your question regarding components was the very question I asked but alas no info was forthcoming.

Regarding Yamahas' I noticed while I was on the USA site that they are listing a new range of recievers (released in april). That said, they all appear to below the spec of the 1900.

A

Anonymous

We badly need a WHF group test whimsical!

Unfortunately, I think Marantz are not as forthcoming with a review sample that WHF can test. Similar to the 1800 and 3800 amps by yamaha, they were never supplied to WHF and therefore never tested.

I know WHF sometimes buy kit to review, hopefully they will with the 6003.

Any response/feedback on the possibility WHF?

A

Anonymous

I've just actually read a very good review of the sr6003 in an alternative hifi publication (the obvious emphasis being on hifi performance). The group test also included the Yamaha RX-V1900, NAD T7755, and Onkyo TX-SR876.

The reviewer suggested that the marantz was a winner by a clear margin in purely sonic terms. It was however pointed out that there may be a potential firmware glitch when swithching from CD to SACD (Not sure that this would be an issue for myself). This stated the Onkyo came out on top.

We've since spoken to a couple of dealers with mixed views regarding the Yamaha. Opinions ranged from great to awful!

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I am going to try and set up this test tomorrow although without the NAD as we do not carry their amps. It has been a while since we have had both the 6003 and the 1900 in store due to terrible supply problems so it will be good to put them against each other.

Nick

A

Anonymous

Great that someone has stepped up! Well done HCC. However, I've just got hold of a RX-V1800 for 399. Couldn''t resist what I am hoping is a bargain. I know its the older yamaha and i have not auditioned but a test was not possible. I'm hoping I'm gonna like it. Still following this though with interest!

A

Anonymous

This is exactly what I have been waiting for, was about to order the Yamaha today until I saw this, gonna be pressing F5 on my browser all day long !

Vimeous

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
Very much looking forward to this, especially which stirkes the best balance between movies and music.

Monkey where did you manage to find the 1800? I've been looking for one for ages :)

A

Anonymous

Vimeous,

Have been constantly checking Ebay and the like. This is where I got it from. Should be delivered early next week. There is one exdisplay from weymouthHiFi on there at the mo but its £549 (still not bad) drop the Hyphen when you search otherwise it does not show.

I now have the budget for a HDMI Matrix (probably from HDcable) to do the HDMI splitting etc.

Still interested in which of the above does music and movies better tho'

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
When it was released, the 1900 was generally felt to be a very small improvement over the 1800. ÿThe differences are so slight that it wouldn't be worth upgrading to the later model so, Monkeyfist, I reckon you should look forward confidently to enjoying your new amp.

For some reason or another WHF didn't review the 1800 or the 3800, but there are plenty of positive views to be found elsewhere. Those of us who pounced on the last of these old models at their 'sell-off' price were left feeling smug when the new ones received rave reviews and then flew off the shelves, despite being much more expensive!!

A

Anonymous

I'm looking forward to it sorreltiger!

I might try dirty dancing on it first and check out the deep blacks........joke !!

Vimeous, you didn't waste much time snapping that up!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts