Yamaha RX-A2010 vs Onkyo TX-NR818

buzz_lightclick

Can't decide between the two. To be paired with Monitor Audio Apex speakers. Yamaha seems a great deal at £700, the Onkyo can also be had for a similar price. Can anyone sum up how different they will sound? The Yamaha seems like a good all round receiver, the Onkyo interests me due to everyone raving about the Audyssey XT32 room calibration. Any input appreciated. :pray:

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
Both are great amps. The Yamaha has a more spacious and refined presentation without lacking anything in excitement. The Onkyo counters with better precision and plenty of punch. I think both will work well with the Apexs. In our (acoustically treated) test rooms the results with the Onkyo tend to be better with Audyssey turned off. In may be different in a conventional room.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Agreed. While XT32 is raved about by many (mainly those seeking ultimate accuracy), there are some that aren't keen on the resulting sound, as they're just not used to the sound being "cleaned up" so much - I suppose it's a little bit like the active vs passive speaker argument. Great for subs and larger ported speakers, but personally I'm not of the opinion that smaller satellite speakers really have to use room correction.

MMW

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
buzz_lightclick said:
Can't decide between the two. To be paired with Monitor Audio Apex speakers. Yamaha seems a great deal at £700, the Onkyo can also be had for a similar price. Can anyone sum up how different they will sound? The Yamaha seems like a good all round receiver, the Onkyo interests me due to everyone raving about the Audyssey XT32 room calibration. Any input appreciated. :pray:

I previously owned the 2010 with my Apex setup and the sound it was just simply superb. More refined and spacious sound than any Onkyo/apex combo I have heard til now. I heartily recomend the 2010 over the 818 any time. :)

A

Anonymous

I eventually went for the Yamaha too, (£699 from Sevenoaks, Bromley). Setting it up this weekend.

buzz_lightclick

I've ended up going against all advice and logic for a pre-owned Pioneer SC-LX83. I know some people think Pioneer and Monitor Audio combined is too "bright" but I'll have a play around with the settings and see what I think. If I don't like the sound then I will sell it on and go down the Yamaha route.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts