Yamaha RX-A1030 release date and review

benfozard

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
HI,

It's finally time to replace my aged (but still going strong!) Yamaha DSP E-800 processor with something that can handle HDMI and HD Audio.

The Yamaha RX-A1020 is the obvious choice, except the A1030 is about to come out which sports new ESS DACs.

It's meant to be out now, some places list it as in stock, others say it's out soon...I can't find a release date on the web.

Does anyone know:

a) When it is release in the UK?

b) When it will be reviewed? I am hoping the introduction of the ESS DAC doesn't unbalance the sound. I am sure it won't as it's a better DAC chip, but best wait for the review.

Cheers,

Ben

benfozard

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi bigboss,

Yeah, I saw that too. It must be next week then. I was just seeing if anyone had heard of there being a delay as it's been suspiciously quiet since that post a month ago.

Ben

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Dare i say we've just taken delivery of a couple of boxes from Yamaha - both of which we think you'll be interested in. We'll be reviewing them over the comng weeks...

benfozard

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Daniel,[/b]

Ah, excellent. I just need to know where to look then.

What's it like? Have you neen able to compare it to the A1020 at all?

Cheers,

Ben

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
So far customers have bought without a demo (based on last year’s models I suspect). I had a lot of pre-ordered units in and out of the door. A good customer took one and his view was that it was fantastic but as yet I have not plugged one in in anger myself. I still have one in a box here, I’ll try to get it out over the weekend and report back.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Not yet Ben, I have been pretty busy in the shop. I have spent a lot of time with the RXV-675 over the last week though. Just need to find some time to spend with it's bigger brother!

benfozard

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
HI,

Ok, I have one now! ;-)

After spending a weekend with it, I can say it's nothing short of fantastic. I cannot compare it to anything other than my old Yamaha Processor, but things have certainly come on!

It's feature rich, setup was a breeze, it can handle both my TV and projector and images and sound have gone up an entire level.

However, I have ONE issue with it, which I cannot explain.

I have no effects turned on (everything is set to "Straight" decode), but the difference between "Pure Direct" being on and off is HUGE. Without it, it seems a lot more spacious and open, but very bass light. When "Pure Direct" is on, the bass is amazing, and overall it still sounds good, but things lose their edge and sound a bit treble-light in comparrison without it.

I have the centre and rear speakers power by the receiver, but the fronts are connect via pre-out to my Audiolab 8000LX....so I am not using the receiver amps for the front speakers. Not sure if this makes a different to how "Pure Direct" behaves?

Anyone any ideas why there should be such a difference between the two settings? I would assume "Pure Direct" would sound the best, but I am not sure it does!

Cheers,

Ben

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Bit of a strange one that Ben. I suspect it probably is something to do with the fact you’re using a power amplifier and not powering the fronts from the Yamaha.

Similar to the Onkyo AV Receivers, there is a huge difference between the Pure Direct mode being on and off. On the Onkyo's it disengages any room eq settings from the set-up, which can have odd results in a room sometimes. Strangely I don’t like the pure direct mode on the Onkyo's but do on the Yamaha.

I think the answer is partly the power amplifier & partly the room eq.

benfozard

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Dan,

Thanks for that. I've keep experimenting to see if I can work out why. It's not the end of the world, both modes sound fantastic, just "different".

As an aside...I am assuming my Audiolab 8000LX is a "better" amp for the fronts than the Yamaha? I daren't try it!

Ben

benfozard

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Still loving the amp and it doesn't sound as good as my Audiolab when I swap it to drive the fronts, which is good news! Pure Direct is the way forward, however. The difference between it being on and off is huge.

Given this amp predecessors have been favoured highly over the years, why has this one not been reviewed yet?!

Ben

nabster888

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Guys,

I've connected Dynaudio DM 2/6 as my fronts in yamaha rx-a1030

Does it make sense to add a power amp the front preout??? was looking at Naim Nap 100. will it make a difference??

pls advise

rgds

gazmend

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I have replaced my older pioneer vsx lx52 with the 1030.

My personal experience is that the yamaha is superb in dialog and you can hear more things going on.

BUT!!! it seems to miss on the punchy bass notes. Compared to allot of scenes the pioneer was banging precisely with punchy bass, while the yamaha seems to skip and miss those. I am pretty sure there is something wrong here. I have checked all the cables and connections and tried all kinds of settings, it just keep missing when it's supposed to enable the BANG bass.

I read about this on another forum by some guy who said the same and that it might need an software update. Does anyone else have this problem or heard anything?

nabster888

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Had the same issue when i first hooked up my 1030. Tried removing the sub connection from the sub preout and connecting via amp Front speakers to Hilevel in the sub! Good difference .......... but there is loss of clarity / bass is over whelming while playing some songs!

thinking about going back to the sub preouts connection and trying again......sure ive missed out something in the speaker/sub setting!!!

Any advise???

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
You guys know pure direct turns off the sub out presumably yeah therefore sending the whole spectrum including low bass through your fronts hence more punch if you have no sub in this mode.

If you have a sub straight mode is where it's at for 2.1 music.

Go into the on-device menu and look for crossover and set it to about 80hz. Go to your sub and set it to LFE.

Go into the on-device menu and look for tone control and add upto 6db of bass too.

I run from a source on my pc quboz and spotify thru a zxr soundcard which has additional EQ which I've set specially for this amp too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts