Yamaha RX-1067 - Zone 2 help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I'm a newbie and have recently purchased the above AV receiver to be paired with the KEF 3005SE speaker package following various recommendations on here. Despite the fear of setting it all up, I actually found it pretty straightforward which it should be as I'm only connecting Sky HD and a slimline PS3 for blu ray. All connected via HDMI with optical connection to sky. Fully understand about using optical to obtain Dolby digital via sky and was delighted to see DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD appear on the recveiver when I tested a few blu rays on it. So despite feeling extremely daunted at the whole thing, I was pretty pleased with myself for achieving what I had set out to do :) Then I came unstuck. I have purchased an additional 2 Kef 3001SE's for my dining room as I understand I could run these seperately from the Yamaha. I still beleive I can, but I'm stuggling to understand this zone 2 thing. It all looks set up correctly with the speaker cables in the right connections at the back of the Yamaha and I've been following the instructions in the manual, but I'm havig no joy in hearing anything never mind just wanting to hear music if we are having dinner. I've purchased the Yamaha YDS12 dock which has turned up this morning so will be having another go later, but if anyone out there know where I'm going wrong, I'd be grateful your your kind assistance. Thanks.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi Horgan
This may be of help - I hope so anyway!
I believe it's the case that you can only send analog(ue) sources to Zone 2 - this means radio, record deck (if you have one) and anything else connected through RCA sockets. So you won't be able to listen to sound from Sky unless you also connect the box to one of the analog inputs and you won't be able to listen from your dock (I don't think - which is probably a bit pants).

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your response. Very disappointed if I cant play my iphone via the dock in the dining room as this was one of the main reasons I purchased it in the first place. Bit of a waste of money buying 2 speakers for the dining room when I should hae invested in a seperate dock with speakers|(

sta99y

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi, on the old models you have a button on front of amp A B speakers, so you normally use speakers A and the surround etc... You can then wire another pair into B then select B but switch off A when you want dining room music. B speaker out put can also be used with A to bi-amp fronts etc...

You could change your dock to a 30pin iPod/IPhone lead with RCA on the other end!!

Does this make sense?

Horgan, I've skimmed through your handbook, and can only find Zone 2 mentioned. In the old days (a few years ago) and on stereo amps, you often get a second pair of speaker terminals for another room, just as you are attempting. They are often known as pair A or pair B, hence A/B. You can choose A or B or both.

Not at all clear from what I have read if you can achieve what you want. It reads more as though the second zone adds to the main zone. Might be OK for a party where you want music everywhere, but not for your second room instead of the main one.

Worth asking your dealer or ringing Yamaha, maybe?

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:
Not at all clear from what I have read if you can achieve what you want. It reads more as though the second zone adds to the main zone. Might be OK for a party where you want music everywhere, but not for your second room instead of the main one.

You can choose whether you want Zone 1, Zone 2 or both and can even have different things playing in the 2 zones at the same time. But Zone 2 must be an analogue source.

Petherick said:
nopiano said:

You can choose whether you want Zone 1, Zone 2 or both and can even have different things playing in the 2 zones at the same time. But Zone 2 must be an analogue source.

I don't doubt you, and clearly you've been there and done it! (and I haven't) It does seem a bizarre arrangement, and not immediately obvious from the handbook. Nor why anyone would want it! Can only think to do otherwise is too complex.

A

Anonymous

All now sorted. yamaha were very helpful and i can now have the tv on in the lounge and music in the dinning room. actually very simple to do even for a novice like me. thanks to everyone for their advice

A

Anonymous

After speaking to Yamaha, it was pretty easy to resolve even for a newbie like me. Managed to have the tv on in the lounge with 5.1 speakers and then music coming out of the 2 seperate speakers in the dinning room utilising zone 2. Only downside is I cant use the Yamaha dock as have to connect with the red and white cables, but as this set up will only be used if the tv is actually on, then not a big problem for me. Normally I play music so it comes out of all the speakers especially when guuests are around.

Thanks to all for taking time to provide me with advice :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts