yamaha rn803d MQA advice

Dazzaob33

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
Hi, just need a bit of advice please, I have a Yamaha rn803d amp and i use tidal , I would like to know a reasonably cost effective way to receive tidal masters tracks , I have used Qobuz previously but prefer Tidal
Cheers
Darren

Dazzaob33

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
Yeah tidal is on the app but amp is not mqa compatible, it's not the end of the world but I wondered if some of the 'enthusiasts' could shed some light 👍

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
MQA is mentioned in the article about the products that are in decline, Paul Young has asked MQA to stop using his music, he said there "masters" are not my masters. If you use Roon you should be able to convert PCM streams to DSD, which is excellent IMHO, anything below 88/16 sounded better than PCM. Roon is expensive, and needs a high specification PC

Tinman1952

MQA is mentioned in the article about the products that are in decline, Paul Young has asked MQA to stop using his music, he said there "masters" are not my masters. If you use Roon you should be able to convert PCM streams to DSD, which is excellent IMHO, anything below 88/16 sounded better than PCM. Roon is expensive, and needs a high specification PC
I think you mean Neil Young…..although I am old enough to remember Paul Young too! 😁

Office Dog

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site

Is that the same Paul [sic] Young whose Pono player/service failed and who, coincidentally, close to that Tidal Masters/MQA claim, announced further releases for his own The Neil Young Archive streaming venture? But, of course, everything that St. Neil proclaims should be taken as gospel. :)

Vincent Kars

amp is not mqa compatible
the DAC is not MQA enabled or Yamaha is simply not willing to pay a license to MQA

What you are missing is what MQA calls the third unfolding.
If a DAC reads the MQA watermark, it will apply minimum phase filters and do some oversampling.
Don't know what filters are used by your DAC but it might be minimum phase already.
If you want to know what oversampling does, take a 96 kHz file (the highest sample rate supported by the MQA format internally) and up-sample it to 192 kHz.
Compare the two.
MQA is limited to 17 bits dynamic range ( CD = 16 bit) while (theoretical) Hires has 24 bits.
In practice a good Hires recording has 20 bits of musical information.

You probably will be hard pressed to hear a difference between the original Hires version and the lossy compression as applied by MQA.
Personally I'm not willing to spend money for the privilege to listen to a lossy format.

A bit more about this lossy format: https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/MQA.htm

Office Dog

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
the DAC is not MQA enabled or Yamaha is simply not willing to pay a license to MQA

What you are missing is what MQA calls the third unfolding.
If a DAC reads the MQA watermark, it will apply minimum phase filters and do some oversampling.
Don't know what filters are used by your DAC but it might be minimum phase already.
If you want to know what oversampling does, take a 96 kHz file (the highest sample rate supported by the MQA format internally) and up-sample it to 192 kHz.
Compare the two.
MQA is limited to 17 bits dynamic range ( CD = 16 bit) while (theoretical) Hires has 24 bits.
In practice a good Hires recording has 20 bits of musical information.

You probably will be hard pressed to hear a difference between the original Hires version and the lossy compression as applied by MQA.
Personally I'm not willing to spend money for the privilege to listen to a lossy format.

A bit more about this lossy format: https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/MQA.htm
It is important to note that the information noted here, and linked to, is factually incorrect.

Office Dog

Dec 4, 2019
Visit site
Just for starters, stating ‘what you are missing is what MQA calls the third unfolding’ demonstrates your lack of understanding of - and/or refusal to understand - MQA; the Yamaha machine; and digital audio in general. I’m not going to try and change your mind, but it would be irresponsible of me to not point out your incorrect advice. Cheers for now.

Vincent Kars

As you are totally unable to substantiate your opinion with facts we better stop this indeed.
For those interested in facts:

Reactions: Tinman1952

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts