Yamaha CRX-M170 with Floorstanders??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Bit of a newbie but with a good ear and a limited budget. Have plumped for a Yamaha mini system but didnt buy any loudspeakers as the sales assistant said that it wouldn`t drive floorstanding speakers and the bookshelf units demo`d sounded rather poor. Was I given good advice?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
The Yamaha's a good little system, so if you didn't like the sound of the speakers supplied I'd go for a pair of good-quality bookshelf speakers such as Tannoy's Mercury F1 Customs (£110). Floorstanders would be overkill for a system of that size.

A

Anonymous

It depends what you mean by "Overkill".. I dont live in a small flat I live in a large detached house with a large lounge. In the old days (30 years ago!) I had goodmans Magnum speakers and would like to replicate that largeness of sound.. The Yamaha didnt come with speakers. I refused, they all sounded so weedy!

matthewpiano

Overkill in that the system is not really up to driving a decent pair of floorstanders. You'll get a much better balanced sound by combining it with the Tannoy F1s as already recommended.

Out of interest, what were those Magnums partnered with?

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I've got a Teac micro with the same power as yours and Im not happy with the sound I'm getting with my mission M32i's

I would say get some bookshelf speakers with a Sub or some floorstanders with a high sensitivity that would make them easy to drive

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2285

Those look good but I don't know if it will run them ok - someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not an expert

A

Anonymous

The Magnums were partnered with Amp- Hitachi HA330 Tuner- Hitachi FT340 Deck- Garrard25? and latterly CD- Philips CD104...

Tried the amp a few years ago and it took out the main fuse on the consumer unit!

matthewpiano

Although not the last word, those Hitachi amps were pretty gutsy from what I remember.

I'd advise against those Epos floorstanders with a micro unit. They are simply going to highlight any shortcomings in the electronics. The Yammy is a cracking little box of tricks but, like most of those systems, has its limitations.

My Dad has a TEAC Reference 300 system and originally had it partnered with Quad 11Ls. That was overkill in the same way and it never sounded right. He changed to Tannoy Custom F1s and it sounds magnificent because the synergy is better and the speakers complement the electronics rather than shining a light on their weaknesses.

Instead, if the Tannoys or Cambridge S30s aren't going to fit your bass requirements, I'd be tempted to go down the 2.1 route and add an active sub. At least then you will have control over the bass but won't be over stretching the Yamaha.

A

Anonymous

Thank you very much for your advice... I knew I would get the truth out of enthusiasts as opposed to sales persons in shops..

Theres nothing better than to sit down to your favourite music sounding at its best and that is more likely to come from this melting pot of experience than a shop knocking out its latest offer!

I feel happy now Thank you...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts