Yamaha AX-763 HD Audio

drw03

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

Can someone please clarify a query I have with my amp?

Whenever I set the audio output on my sony blu ray player to DTS, Dolby Digital, PCM etc the display on the amp says the relevant wording i.e. DTS or PCM etc

However, if I choose HD Master Audio or Dolby True HD etc the amp displays 'STRAIGHT' albeit with the relevant HD audio wording lit up in the corner. I assume its because the amp isn't applying any DSP but is there a way (I wonder) to get the display to read 'HD MASTER AUDIO' for example???!!

A niggling point I know but one thats bugging me!

Any offers?

Thanks,

DRW

Cliff1

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm got a similar problem with the AX 863 but mine doesn't show straight in the display,just dts,no indication of HD at all.Like you it's bugging the hell out of me.

Pity you didn't get any response,i'd saved it to keep track.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Have you tried emailing Yamaha customer support?
emotion-1.gif

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
drw03:
Hi All,

Can someone please clarify a query I have with my amp?

Whenever I set the audio output on my sony blu ray player to DTS, Dolby Digital, PCM etc the display on the amp says the relevant wording i.e. DTS or PCM etc

However, if I choose HD Master Audio or Dolby True HD etc the amp displays 'STRAIGHT' albeit with the relevant HD audio wording lit up in the corner. I assume its because the amp isn't applying any DSP but is there a way (I wonder) to get the display to read 'HD MASTER AUDIO' for example???!!

A niggling point I know but one thats bugging me!

Any offers?

Thanks,

DRW

Also, if you listen to any of the HD formats the bit rate does not show on the Yamaha's on screen menu! Does yours? Strange.....

A

Anonymous

I've got this amp, and I just assumed that it lights up the way it does because at the moment most people have a regular 5-channel dvd setup, and they didn't want to alienate those customers, at least whilst their still the majority and looking for a new amp potentially. I suppose I'm saying that Yamaha didn't want people to think it was just for the hi-def brigade like me.

drw03

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

Thanks for your responses. I have raised it with my local hi-fi dealer and he's going to check it out with Yamaha, however he also gets the same issue with his kit he has set up in the shop. He gets even weirder messages on his Denon displays!!!!

I'll keep you posted.

DRW

A

Anonymous

Hi DRW,

I have the same amp, i have read the instructions cover to cover many times and do not know of a way to remove the "straight" display. As you mentioned the indicators that identify the signal being received ie "dolby true hd, DTS master audio are small around the main display. The main display indicates the DSP mode in this case "straight" .

Only other thing you can do is switch to "pure direct" which turns off the screen completely

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I have a Yamaha '863SE and like the other posters, the main display shows 'Straight' (unless I turn the display off) and the actual surround format (DD TrueHD, DTS-HD etc) in the smaller display to the left. AFAIK, there's no other way to show it.

drw03

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi again,

Thanks for your responses - looks like its something I'll have to put up with!

Just so I'm clear - are we saying that the 'Pure Direct' mode will still decode the HD codecs but just switches off the non essential stuff.?!

Thanks

DRW

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
According to the Yamaha website, when engaged the 'Pure Direct' mode "bypasses the bass, treble, balance and loudness controls, eliminating any alteration to the audio signal".

A

Anonymous

If you select pure direct when watching blu-rays it still turns the display off and the amp decodes the hd audio as normal. actually having said that i will test mine tonight to be sure

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
OK, checked the manual for my '863SE last night and when Pure Direct is engaged the following operations are disabled:

Switching the soundfield program

Displaying the OSD

Adjusting the Set Menu parameters

Operating video functions (video upconversion, video switching etc)

As I use my amp for video switching of all sources, when I switch on Pure Direct I still get the sound but no picture, as the video switching for the amp is disengaged. So I can use Pure Direct for audio-only sources, but not video.

Cliff1

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
In an earlier post i mentioned that i was having a problem getting the hd audio on my 863se.When i 'phoned Yamaha they told me to switch to 'straight' & i should get the missing audio.So it sounds as though straight showing might be the norm.

Didn't work for me,my problem which was player related is now sorted but strange thing is straight doesn't show in the 863s display,just hd master audio.I can select it but it doesn't seem to make any difference to the sound.

A

Anonymous

In the middle of the display, what does it say when HDMA is engaged, Cliff1?

Cliff1

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
kaotician:In the middle of the display, what does it say when HDMA is engaged, Cliff1?
Middle display reads, 'DVD movie viewing',centre top DVD is highlighted & to the left DTS hd master audio.

I use the 4 scene buttons on the remote,page 8 in the 863 manual,i.ve changed 4 to DV recorder .Press one of these & it also switches the unit on.

A

Anonymous

Right, well it sounds as if you've re-named the inputs yourself ie dvd movie viewing - is this right? I dare say it wouldn't show up as 'straight' if you'd done so. Does the big display message change after a few seconds?

Cliff1

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Things might be different on the 763.DVD movie viewing is the default setting for scene button No1.I changed 4 because it was set for radio & the 863 doesn't have a tuner,DVD movie viewing stays in the display.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts