Yamaha Aventage RX-A3010 or Pioneer SC-LX85???

Sutch71

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi, I am looking to replace my faithful Yamaha RXV1800 AV amp which I use for Movies only.

I am looking for any user experience on which is better, the new Yammy RX-A3010 or the Pioneer SC-LX85. I use Monitor Audio Pl200 for the front and plc150 for centre with a RX-W12 sub and mission rears - oh and I by amp the front from 2 x Musical Fidelity X-AS-100.

My budget is around £1,500 (which has crept up from a modest £1k)

I have used Yamaha for a long while and quite fancy a flirt with Pioneer. I have downloaded both I-Phone apps and the Pioneer looks a lot more comprehensive and I am quite tempted by the added THX ability (not sure if this is worth the move though) and the Class D amplification.

I know that both amps have had brilliant reviews and I am looking for a sound to get the absolute best out of my speakers and to blow me away :grin:

Any thoughts, experiences are appreciated.

Thanks

Sutch71 said:
Hi, I am looking to replace my faithful Yamaha RXV1800 AV amp which I use for Movies only.

I am looking for any user experience on which is better, the new Yammy RX-A3010 or the Pioneer SC-LX85. I use Monitor Audio Pl200 for the front and plc150 for centre with a RX-W12 sub and mission rears - oh and I by amp the front from 2 x Musical Fidelity X-AS-100.

My budget is around £1,500 (which has crept up from a modest £1k)

I have used Yamaha for a long while and quite fancy a flirt with Pioneer. I have downloaded both I-Phone apps and the Pioneer looks a lot more comprehensive and I am quite tempted by the added THX ability (not sure if this is worth the move though) and the Class D amplification.

I know that both amps have had brilliant reviews and I am looking for a sound to get the absolute best out of my speakers and to blow me away :grin:

Any thoughts, experiences are appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Sutch71

If you want amplification which will and truly energize your speakers and have a quality of performance to blow you away then i hate to say is but you need to be looking at amplification along the lines of Chord Electronics DSP8000/SPM3005, Audiolab 8200AP/Plinius Odean, etc.

Anyway the presentation of Platinum speakers in particular gels sweetly with the tonal qualities Yamaha's Aventage RX-A3010 and is a combination which can be listened to for hours without fatigue :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Sutch71

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Thanks guys, I think that an audition is in order. Thanks Rik - the Plinius Odean is so so so tempting but unfortunatley space and money get in the way :grin:

I think that I am leaning more towards the Yamaha to get the sound that I would be happy with...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sutch, I'm not going to recommend you £25k's worth of upgrade - not until it's available used and within your budget anyway... :doh:

Firstly, you will need to hear both the Yamaha dn the Pioneer in order to choose your preference as far as sound is concerned. Some aren't too keen on the Pioneer's clean, precise amplification, but those that like it love it. The yamaha, as you will already know, is a little more laid back.

As you already own Yamaha, your obvious next step would be another one. The RXA3010 will be ideal, and you should see quite an improvement moving up from an RXV1800.

The Pioneer will be able to give you better drive and grip due to it's Class D amplification. We've tried all the main brands with M&K S150's LCR's - a speaker that usually needs top notch £4-5k integrated AV amplifiers or AV pre/powers in order to sound as they were designed to sound - and only the Pioneer 85 (as far as integrated receivers are concerned) has been able to drive them anywhere near how they should be.

The Pioneer app is excellent, but the Yamaha one isn't that far behind, and their usability on the music streaming side is up there with the best.

As I say, if you can get a listen, great. You need to make sure that they're going to do a good job with the Platinums - they aren't particularly hard to drive, but do appreciate a good quality amp with a decent amount of grip.

michael hoy

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Sutch, I'm not going to recommend you £25k's worth of upgrade - not until it's available used and within your budget anyway... :doh:

Firstly, you will need to hear both the Yamaha dn the Pioneer in order to choose your preference as far as sound is concerned. Some aren't too keen on the Pioneer's clean, precise amplification, but those that like it love it. The yamaha, as you will already know, is a little more laid back.

As you already own Yamaha, your obvious next step would be another one. The RXA3010 will be ideal, and you should see quite an improvement moving up from an RXV1800.

The Pioneer will be able to give you better drive and grip due to it's Class D amplification. We've tried all the main brands with M&K S150's LCR's - a speaker that usually needs top notch £4-5k integrated AV amplifiers or AV pre/powers in order to sound as they were designed to sound - and only the Pioneer 85 (as far as integrated receivers are concerned) has been able to drive them anywhere near how they should be.

The Pioneer app is excellent, but the Yamaha one isn't that far behind, and their usability on the music streaming side is up there with the best.

As I say, if you can get a listen, great. You need to make sure that they're going to do a good job with the Platinums - they aren't particularly hard to drive, but do appreciate a good quality amp with a decent amount of grip.

Well said ;)

v1c said:
Rick are you doing the Chord Electronics DSP8000/SPM3005 for £1500 ? Cus if you are i'm very interested.

Hi v1c

No. New DSP8000 and SPM3005 are available for £12960 (integra legs)/£13080 (nickel integra legs) and £14790 (integra legs)/£15030 (nickel integra legs) respectively.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The Pioneer will be able to give you better drive and grip due to it's Class D amplification.

It's fine to say that the Pioneer has Class D amplification - that's a fact. It's fine to say you feel it has better drive and grip - that's your opinion. It's not fine to suggest that a component automatically has better drive and grip because it uses class D amplification.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

This is exactly what I said. The Pioneer does have better control and grip. I can't see how it does so if not for the Class D amplification. So I'm stating, and anyone can quote me on this, that the Pioneer SCLX85 has better drive and grip due to the fact that it has got Class D amplification. Hence why I went for a Class D power amplifier for my home cinema system when I decided to go from the SCLX85 to a pre/power system.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
v1c said:
Rick are you doing the Chord Electronics DSP8000/SPM3005 for £1500 ? Cus if you are i'm very interested.

Hi v1c

No. New DSP8000 and SPM3005 are available for £12960 (integra legs)/£13080 (nickel integra legs) and £14790 (integra legs)/£15030 (nickel integra legs) respectively.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

£27750 (integra legs)/£28110(nickel integra legs)..... £26250(integra legs)/£26610(nickel integra legs) over budget ?

OK thanks for the info.

v1c said:
MUSICRAFT said:
v1c said:

Hi v1c

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

£27750 (integra legs)/£28110(nickel integra legs)..... £26250(integra legs)/£26610(nickel integra legs) over budget ?

OK thanks for the info.

Hi v1c

Don't you start :grin: Anyway i will just say to you that the DSP8000/SPM3005 or the 8200AP/Odean were not meant as a recommendation at all to the OP but instead were only merely 'pointed out' to the OP as to the the level of AV amplification which i feel the OP needs to be looking at if he wants - "a sound to get the absolute best out of my speakers and to blow me away"

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
v1c said:
MUSICRAFT said:
v1c said:

Hi v1c

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

OK thanks for the info.

Hi v1c

Don't you start :grin: Anyway i will just say to you that the DSP8000/SPM3005 or the 8200AP/Odean were not meant as a recommendation at all to the OP but instead were only merely 'pointed out' to the OP as to the the level of AV amplification which i feel the OP needs to be looking at if he wants - "a sound to get the absolute best out of my speakers and to blow me away"

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

:rofl:

Ok Rick no problem.

A

Anonymous

Rapid City Jobs has been created keeping in view of the

IT-professionals. This site will help you

"Professionals" to quickly and efficiently locate

many opportunities that exist. It's user friendly

tool to help you match your own Specifications,

Qualifications and Requirements.