Yamaha as500 - not impressed....

Jake12988

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
As said in title, just pickd up as500 today and it seems flat, with a lack of clear detail?

i had an old denon pma-560, which sounded brilliant, absolutely brilliant! It was my dads, and he let me have it recently, though its now starting to cut out, so that's why I bought the yam,

im running bx2's, and it just doesn't sound as open or as accurate as the old denon? I don't know much about the old denon, anyone know if it was a fairly expensive amp back in the early 90's? It's just I really thought the yam would sound a lot better, seen as its 20 years newer!

The volume pot on the denon was seamless and sensitive, but the yam is so horrible, it's either loud or quiet between 8 and 9 o clock position. It just seems very mediocre...

was my denon pma560 just a great amp? Or am I just used to the denon?

Help please, as I may take yam back to richer sounds and get 2nd hand denon 560 again...

I really wanted to like this amp, it's just not doing it for me so far.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
If that is the case fella then bin the Yam and get the Denon back!

Amps havent really advanced that much in 20 years!

Something like a Mrantz PM66 Ki Sig can still cut it in todays market and still puts other £500 amps to shame but can be had for £130-150

Jake12988

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
What makes you think it's a better amp?

Ti be honest I'm worried ill never find the perfect amp after this old denon! It's frustrating beyond measure!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Last year when i stard to demo amps and speakers the Yamaha AS500 was the first one i've demo with MA RX6, and i simple hated the sound to harsh!

And 10 min later was listening to NAD 326 BEE and it souned wonderful with the MA RX6.

If you dont't like it take it back!

:cheers:

matthewpiano

Jake12988 said:

Its better built, the volume control is better and doesn't jump as you describe, and the sound is much more balanced. The Denon sound hasn't really changed that much over the years so, if you like it, stick with the brand.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Jake12988 said:
Yeah think I will, problem is its been opened and used, so will richer sounds take it back...

I think if you exchange for a similar priced item they is no charge, if you just return I think its 15% handling charge.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Jake12988 said:

The Yamaha A-S500 was especially 'voiced' to suit the UK market. Never a good sign IMO. Amps shouldn't be tweaked to suit any notional idea of what a particular nationality is supposed to like.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
Jake12988 said:

The Yamaha A-S500 was especially 'voiced' to suit the UK market. Never a good sign IMO. Amps shouldn't be tweaked to suit any notional idea of what a particular nationality is supposed to like.

Sony jumped on this idea in the ninties with some of their QS range , the result was bland and a lack of punch in the mid bass to my ears and a tiring treble

I think the Yamaha falls into the same trap, I have one on a second system , the Tannoy V4 sweeten it a little but at times the harshness stills cuts through

I agree with the previous comment about the Denon PMA720, my mate has one, its vibrant clean and punchy, still slightly on the bright side but not in a harsh way, and I am seriously thinking of flogging the yam and getting one of these Denons while they have reduced the price, but I think richers are nudging it up again, its now £199 but £229 for black,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts