Yamaha AS500 and KEF Q300 - too bright!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
MUSICRAFT said:
If its 'like for like' then its pointless buying/using after market cables. May as well save your money then and also look at picking up non after market cables from local electrical stores where these cables are likely to cost very little money.

My point is that the OP already owns these cables. There's nothing wrong with his cables, and they're not the issue in the system. My 'like for like' comment is referring to the fact that we are talking all copper cables here.

I take it from now on that you'll regularly also be recommending/suggesting the 'like for like' non after market all copper cabling and alternative locations such as local electrical stores where these cables are likely to cost very little £.

Btw, i can assure you that there are no 'games' being played :) :beer:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
I take it from now on that you'll regularly also be recommending/suggesting the 'like for like' non after market all copper cabling and alternative locations such as local electrical stores where these cables are likely to cost very little £.

So not only do you not read what I you yourself post, but you also do not read what I post either - the answer was in my previous post where I was explaining your pointless post.

Again, desist from the nit picking.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
your speaker cable is purely copper based so will be working just fine. It would be pointless to change like for like.

If its 'like for like' then its pointless buying/using after market cables. May as well save your money then and also look at picking up non after market cables from local electrical stores where these cables are likely to cost very little money.

Btw, i take it from now on that you'll regularly also be recommending/suggesting the 'like for like' non after market cabling and alternative locations such as local electrical stores where these cables are likely to cost very little £.

Rick, some of your comments on here are genuinely helpful to other members of the forum. This constant sniping at David however does nothing to help anyone here, or to do yourself any favours. There is no reason why you cant both offer opinions on questions raised by other forum members without actively trying to get into petty squables.

If we all had the same opinions on everything life would be very boring, and if all dealers stocked or recomended the same makes and systems, we wouldnt have much choice. That doesnt mean that your way is the only way of doing things.

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
MUSICRAFT said:

So not only do you not read what I you yourself post, but you also do not read what I post either - the answer was in my previous post where I was explaining your pointless post.

Again, desist from the nit picking.

cheers :cheer:

gregvet said:
Rick, some of your comments on here are genuinely helpful to other members of the forum. This constant sniping at David however does nothing to help anyone here, or to do yourself any favours. There is no reason why you cant both offer opinions on questions raised by other forum members without actively trying to get into petty squables.

If we all had the same opinions on everything life would be very boring, and if all dealers stocked or recomended the same makes and systems, we wouldnt have much choice. That doesnt mean that your way is the only way of doing things.

Hi gregvet

Thanks and your welcome.

Btw, despite what it may seem like i can assure you that i am not sniping and that mine is also just one opinion.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
gregvet said:

Hi gregvet

Thanks and your welcome.

Btw, despite what it may seem like i can assure you that i am not sniping

You need to work on your "marketing" then because that's exactly what it looks like. Give the choice between buying from you and buying from David, I'd choose David everytime, based solely on how the two of you post here.

Incidentally, I don't know David, I've never met him and I've never bought anything from his store either, this is purely an opinion based on your respective presences here.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Did you try to dampen the acoustics with a (thick) carpet ? I bought one last week (2 x 3 m.), not because of dampening but for esthetical reasons. I must get used to the softer sound now, but i am already liking it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Rethep said:
Did you try to dampen the acoustics with a (thick) carpet ? I bought one last week (2 x 3 m.), not because of dampening but for esthetical reasons. I must get used to the softer sound now, but i am already liking it.

I had Laminate Flooring for a while and hated what it did to the sound....now have carpet, which is a big improvement.

A

Anonymous

Rethep said:

Hi

Unfortunately I have laminate flooring, which as you suggest probably makes things worse. I do have a quite a lot of furniture in the room as well as a fairly large and thick rug though. Maybe I should upgrade the rug not the amp :p

A

Anonymous

Well thanks for all the suggestions people. It seems as though changing the amp is the most sensible way to go, and my shortlist (based on this thread) could be:

Rega Brio-R

NAD 326bee

Marantz PM7004

NAD C356BEE

NAD C370

Any others to add to the list? I'm currently based in Austria, let's see how many of these I can track down :)

Cheers

The_Lhc said:
MUSICRAFT said:
gregvet said:

Hi gregvet

Thanks and your welcome.

Btw, despite what it may seem like i can assure you that i am not sniping

You need to work on your "marketing" then because that's exactly what it looks like. Give the choice between buying from you and buying from David, I'd choose David everytime, based solely on how the two of you post here.

Incidentally, I don't know David, I've never met him and I've never bought anything from his store either, this is purely an opinion based on your respective presences here.

Hi The_Lhc

Thanks for your post :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
doctorzoidberg said:
Any others to add to the list? I'm currently based in Austria
Here is a list you may find useful:

http://audiotools.com/dist_at.html

I'd also recommend adding the Music Hall a15.2 to your audition list, available from Audiophil:

http://www.audiophil.at/audiophil-music-hall

Good Luck

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I spent ages trying to tame the brightness my CA/Rotel/Dali combination and like you say would get tiring after a while.Changing cables won't do a lot and I think you would hear a noticable improvement with a more expensive amp.

You would get a richer,smoother sound with something like the Roksan Kandy K2 if you can find a used one for a good price.

A

Anonymous

danrv said:
I spent ages trying to tame the brightness my CA/Rotel/Dali combination and like you say would get tiring after a while.Changing cables won't do a lot and I think you would hear a noticable improvement with a more expensive amp.

You would get a richer,smoother sound with something like the Roksan Kandy K2 if you can find a used one for a good price.

Thanks for the tip, will try to check out the amp. Bit out of my price range but as you say this could change if I find a good deal on a second hand one. So an amp of that quality/expense isn't overkill for the KEFs then?

cheers

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
[/quote]

So an amp of that quality/expense isn't overkill for the KEFs then?

cheers

[/quote]

I thought that when adding the Roksan pair to my £249 Lektors but IMHO they're one of the best speakers around at the price range and really do sound great with the K2.

Thought I may have to upgrade the speakers but I reckon they're staying now.

Failing that the Marantz PM6004 is a popular amp with the Q300s and it should smooth things out a little,together with Chord cables but then you are still in the budget range of amps.

I think the only way to get a grip on the top end is to feed the speakers with plenty of quality power.

Do work on room acoustics though as the reflective sounds from hard surfaces will still be there no matter what equipment you have.

ned

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
I find it hard to listen to too but for some reason it sounds fine with both treble and bass turned up a quarter of a turn. The treble stops sounding so "hard".

ned

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
It really depends on the speakers though. Before I got a pair of diamond 9.1's I had a pair of denon/mission bookshelf's they just didn't go well at all with the as500 despite them always sounding ok with everything in the past.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
i remember having exactly same trouble with my previous audiolab mono bloc sysytem and my monitor audio rs1s...............the system cost a fortune and yet a total mismatch so i know how you must feel...........i actually wrote into a well known hifi magazine problem page and their advice was change the amp as changing the speakers would only solve half the problem. I ignored their advice as i was reluctant to change the amp and bought the excellent cm1 but I.m afraid the magazine was right even though the system sounded better it was onyl half the story...............if youre reluctant to chnge the amp just keep trying out different speakers until you find a match ..........try the bw cm1s they have a smooth tonal blance that may well suit the yam as500

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
After a week of test, I have changed Yam AS 500 for a Marantz 6004,

2 years ago, and the sound now is warm like I need, with my B&W...

that's a pity, as Yam is a versatile beautifull old style looking amp...

But I think your problem are the middle high freq of Kef: so better for you

look for an old Marantz 7004, with his fine mid tone knob

( new 7005 has now only treeble and bass)

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
As above I have mine attached to Wharfedale Diamonds but are the 10.1 variety.

Nice bass and work well with the Yam, not bright at all.

AmigaNut

TRENDING THREADS