Yamaha AS500 and KEF Q300 - too bright!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Been living with my Yamaha AS500 and KEF Q300s for a few months now and I'm finally coming to the conclusion the sound is just a bit too bright for me.

I really love the mid range and bass response of the Q300s and the lively edge they bring to some of my favourite music. However after a while the excess high frequencies become tiring to listen to; I've even noticed that I've started to avoid treble-heavy music - not great when hifi gets in the way of actually enjoying music!

Do you folks have any solutions in mind? I have a feeling the amp may be the culprit, however I'm not too keen on replacing it unless I really have to. Would rounding out the sound of the setup by adding a sub be a good idea?

Thanks!

Macbook Pro / Arcam rDAC / Yamaha AS500 / KEF Q300

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
doctorzoidberg said:
Hi all,

Been living with my Yamaha AS500 and KEF Q300s for a few months now and I'm finally coming to the conclusion the sound is just a bit too bright for me.

I really love the mid range and bass response of the Q300s and the lively edge they bring to some of my favourite music. However after a while the excess high frequencies become tiring to listen to; I've even noticed that I've started to avoid treble-heavy music - not great when hifi gets in the way of actually enjoying music!

Do you folks have any solutions in mind? I have a feeling the amp may be the culprit, however I'm not too keen on replacing it unless I really have to. Would rounding out the sound of the setup by adding a sub be a good idea?

Thanks!

Have you considered twiddling the tone controls on the front of the amp?

A

Anonymous

Hi

yeah already have the treble control about halfway down, anything more and it all gets a bit muffled...

I'll give the loudness control a go though. Any other ideas?

doctorzoidberg said:
Hi all,

Thanks!

Hi doctorzoidberg

Try Dynaudio's DM 2/6's and DM 2/7's with the A-S500 :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
before turning it on so that you cant hear the difrference of the tweaking...turn loundess to -1,5 treble to -1 and bass to 0.then turn on and listen to something without analyzing very much..it did the job for me on yamaha amps these setings.sometimes bass to -1 is also nice and treble to 0 maybe nice also. but loudness to -1,5 is obrigatory

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
before turning it on so that you cant hear the difrference of the tweaking...turn loundess to -1,5 treble to -1 and bass to 0.then turn on and listen to something without analyzing very much..it did the job for me on yamaha amps these setings.sometimes bass to -1 is also nice and treble to 0 maybe nice also. but loudness to -1,5 is obligatory

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
When suffering from a synergy imbalance, the choice is either to change amp (eg. Rega Brio=R) or speakers (Rega SS1, Sonus Faber Toy or Dynaudio as suggested).

Nb. Silver coated copper cable often exacerbates the problem.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
doctorzoidberg said:

There have been a few AS500 users recently who have been unhappy with their system citing the AS500 directly as the problem. I would speak to your local dealer and see what alternatives they have you can try at home.

No

Are the speakers near to the side walls? Any speaker in this sort of position will have exaggerated HF due to reflection off the side walls. If this is the case, try toeing them in slightly.

A

Anonymous

My speaker cable is Chord Carnival Classic. Yep pretty much all my music has a bright edge to it :-/

A

Anonymous

ear said:
before turning it on so that you cant hear the difrference of the tweaking...turn loundess to -1,5 treble to -1 and bass to 0.then turn on and listen to something without analyzing very much..it did the job for me on yamaha amps these setings.sometimes bass to -1 is also nice and treble to 0 maybe nice also. but loudness to -1,5 is obligatory

thanks for that, will give these settings a go.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Are the speakers near to the side walls? Any speaker in this sort of position will have exaggerated HF due to reflection off the side walls. If this is the case, try toeing them in slightly.

Thanks for the input.

the speakers have around 1 m space behind and to the sides. I've tried toeing them in but it seems to make matters worse.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
doctorzoidberg said:
My speaker cable is Chord Carnival Classic. Yep pretty much all my music has a bright edge to it :-/

I don't think this is silver coated, so unlikely to be the problem; unless there is any silver in your i/c.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The problem is the yamaha, is to bright, harsh for my taste!

You can switch the cabling, you can do what ever you wont, but that problem will not desappear!

Keep the speakers and sell the yamaha, and get a NAD 326bee for the same budget.

A

Anonymous

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
The problem is the yamaha, is to bright, harsh for my taste!

You can switch the cabling, you can do what ever you wont, but that problem will not desappear!

Keep the speakers and sell the yamaha, and get a NAD 326bee for the same budget.

yep this is the conclusion I'm coming to as well. anybody interested in an as-new as500? :)

Hi doctorzoidberg

Try the Dynaudio's as i've found the A-S500 to pair well with DM 2/6's and DM 2/7's :)

Btw, i'll recommend using standard 79 strand OFC or at a push 500 strand OFC speaker cables. Fwiw, as i write this the system currently playing in the back consists of Densen Audio Technologies B-420 XS, DNRG, B-200 Plus, B-320 Plus and Proac Tablette Anniversary speakers. I am using basic interconects and 500 strand OFC speaker cables for this system. The system is :rockout:

All the best

Rick @ Musiscraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi doctorzoidberg

Try the Dynaudio's as i've found the A-S500 to pair well with DM 2/6's and DM 2/7's :)

Btw, i'll recommend using standard 79 strand OFC or at a push 500 strand OFC speaker cables. Fwiw, as i write this the system currently playing in the back consists of Densen Audio Technologies B-420 XS, DNRG, B-200 Plus, B-320 Plus and Proac Tablette Anniversary speakers. I am using basic interconects and 500 strand OFC speaker cables for this system. The system is :rockout:

All the best

Rick @ Musiscraft

Thanks Rick,

Will see if I can have a listen to the Dynaudio speakers you recommend. Would be happier to change the amp rather than the speakers though tbh

A

Anonymous

So if the only real solution to my problem is to change either the amp or the speakers, can anybody recommend the perfect amp to match the KEF q300s? My budget's around 500 quid.

thanks for your help!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
doctorzoidberg said:
So if the only real solution to my problem is to change either the amp or the speakers, can anybody recommend the perfect amp to match the KEF q300s? My budget's around 500 quid.

thanks for your help!

With that budget the Rega Brio R Definitely, but the NAD as a Gorgeous sound!

Demo some amps with your speakers, is the best way to go!

What is your source?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
doctorzoidberg said:

thanks for your help!

Agreed - NAD, or in particular, Rega's Brio-R, which does work extremely well with the Q300's. your speaker cable is purely copper based so will be working just fine. It would be pointless to change like for like.

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Maybe try the Marantz PM7004. It's got a fair amount of power and three band tone controls so you can reduce the treble as required. Looks pretty too.

doctorzoidberg said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi doctorzoidberg

All the best

Rick @ Musiscraft

Thanks Rick,

Will see if I can have a listen to the Dynaudio speakers you recommend. Would be happier to change the amp rather than the speakers though tbh

Hi doctorzoidberg

Your welcome.

Fair enough.

As for alternative amplification then as CnE and Hi-FiOutlaw have also suggested try the Brio-R, C326BEE or C356BEE. If you're also happy to consider used/discontinued amplification then look out for the excellent NAD C370 :)

Btw, in my previous post i forgot to say that i feel using basic interconnect/s & speaker cables will be more than good enough for your system . Keep it simple and your components and system will breathe. Simple is best.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
your speaker cable is purely copper based so will be working just fine. It would be pointless to change like for like.

If its 'like for like' then its pointless buying/using after market cables. May as well save your money then and also look at picking up non after market cables from local electrical stores where these cables are likely to cost very little money.

Btw, i take it from now on that you'll regularly also be recommending/suggesting the 'like for like' non after market cabling and alternative locations such as local electrical stores where these cables are likely to cost very little £.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
If its 'like for like' then its pointless buying/using after market cables. May as well save your money then and also look at picking up non after market cables from local electrical stores where these cables are likely to cost very little money.

My point is that the OP already owns these cables. There's nothing wrong with his cables, and they're not the issue in the system. My 'like for like' comment is referring to the fact that we are talking all copper cables here.

How about stop trying to pick at everything I say? If you want to continue this childish exercise, it's a game that two can play quite easily.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts