Yamaha AS2100/Cambridge CXN vs Hegel H160

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
FWIW neither my amp or speakers have changed audibly from the day I got them (both boxed,  brand new unused) so I know not of this burn in of which you speak :) 

Firts 10 mins with the 160 was very flat and came alive. Now as it was my first hegel you could say getting used to the sound but when i got the 360 i was already used to the sound and the 160 sounded much better at first then after about 30 mins its smoothed out. Not sure about 100 hours though i think it was more warming up. But my wife also said (and she was not asked or prompted) that the 360 sounded worse than the 160 when i first played it. But now straight on from cold its good and not much difference.

SteveR750

I think they, like most amps sound better when warmed up, not the same as "burnt in". Give it 30 minutes for it and the drivers to become thermally as stable as they'll get within their normal operating temperatures and the system shines.

georgescookie

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I was sceptical too about the concept of running in an amp or hifi in general but the sound on the H160 has changed like light & day, they say our brain gets used to the sound which is true but it didnt really didnt sound great at the begining. But alls well that ends well, and I do admit, Andrejvt, you're constant praise of the unit did assist in my decision to go through the process of looking into the unit so thank you *good* By the way I listen to all the bands you listen to...especially Korn! Follow the Leader is my fave

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Romulus said:
I am interested in auditioning the Hegel H160 and I can't help noticing every one saying that it has a clean sound.  I listen to a wide range of music, my concern is how will the clean sound of Hegel treat heavy rock ( eg. live recording of Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers, Rainbow, Jimi Hendrix, UFO, Blue Oyster Cult, Muse, Boston, Gary Moore, Dire Straits + etc..)  Will the full thrust of a rock band come through for me to say 'wow' or will it be a dispassionate forensic inspection as to how the song was recorded?    Do you listen to rock orientated music and if so what was it about the Hegel H160 sound that attracted you to the amplifier?
iME. Your worries can usually be mitigated by speaker choice. Choose ones that relish a clean controlled sound, like Kef R Series, Sonus Faber and Spendor.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
georgescookie said:
I was sceptical too about the concept of running in an amp or hifi in general but the sound on the H160 has changed like light & day, they say our brain gets used to the sound which is true but it didnt really didnt sound great at the begining. But alls well that ends well, and I do admit, Andrejvt,  you're constant praise of the unit did assist in my decision to go through the process of looking into the unit so thank you *good* By the way I listen to all the bands you listen to...especially Korn! Follow the Leader is my fave

And it was steve 750 original post that got me to buy the h160 and now also next year atc speakers. Tthis forum can spend ll your money lol. I started off with a 2nd hand roksan k2

SteveR750

CnoEvil said:
Romulus said:
I am interested in auditioning the Hegel H160 and I can't help noticing every one saying that it has a clean sound.  I listen to a wide range of music, my concern is how will the clean sound of Hegel treat heavy rock ( eg. live recording of Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers, Rainbow, Jimi Hendrix, UFO, Blue Oyster Cult, Muse, Boston, Gary Moore, Dire Straits + etc..)  Will the full thrust of a rock band come through for me to say 'wow' or will it be a dispassionate forensic inspection as to how the song was recorded?    Do you listen to rock orientated music and if so what was it about the Hegel H160 sound that attracted you to the amplifier?
iME. Your worries can usually be mitigated by speaker choice. Choose ones that relish a clean controlled sound, like Kef R Series, Sonus Faber and Spendor.
Not forgetting ATC!

I really think that these two go together as well as Linn/Naim or NAD/AR back in their day. System matching is critical, and occasionally two items just gel. I'm pretty sure that the hegel brings out the best in the ATC speaker (at its price level), which figuratively speaking doesn't suffer fools gladly.

georgescookie said:
Hi all, just wanted to give an update on what I bought in the end, and that was the Hegel H160 which ive head for about a month now.

Last month on one of the TFL strikes (oh the joys), I decided I didnt want throw myself on a packed bus & overground train to go work, I decided to take the day off & drove up to Derby for a visit to Musicraft.

Assisted by Rick, who was a lovely guy, friendly and honest with a strong fondness for my Honda Civic Sport *biggrin* , he had the the H160 connected to a pair of Focal 906s (the speakers I have).I liked what I heard, it reminded me of the dry musical sound of a Cyrus with detail & power to boot but I knew these speakers needed more space than Ricks shop could offer to produce their best (although it was a lovely cosy place to be!). So with this optimism, I bought the Hegs and trekked back to London with the big lump in my boot.

On connecting the amp, and for a few weeks subsequently, the amp was flat with no musiciallity or soundtage at all, & oh dear the treble was just harsh...all I had was bass and I was feeling a little deflated .

I perserved and continued to run it in (I dont think ive hit 100 hous yet) but wowsers...It sounds brilliant now. its got it all; clarity, speed, a 3d holographic soundstage, brillaint level of detail, transparency, smoothness, power & grip to the sound with clean strong bass, absolute joy to listen to *music2*

My amp searching days are now over thank gawd, piece out...

Hi George

Thanks
thumbs_up.gif
and glad to hear that you're enjoying the performance of your H160
shades_smile.gif

Btw, it is a Type-R?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS