Hegel H160 - Viable Alternative to Linn/Naim All in Ones?

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
I've always seen my upgrade path from Naim Unitilite/Kef LS50 as further up the Naim range (Superuniti/2 box combo) or a Linn Majik DSM, and I posted about it a year ago.

I am, however, increasingly intrigued by Hegel H160 and note that you have to look very hard to find any remotely negative comments about it. I know that it's not a true streamer and so would require AirPlay or, presumably, a link such as an Apple Airport, Sonos Connect, or the like. I intend to keep my LS50s and have seen many comments that the Hegel would be both a good match and that its impressive power would extract so much more from the Kefs.

I will, of course, audition but, given that my nearest Hegel dealer is 150 miles away, I want to first hear feedback from anyone with experience of either the Hegel into LS50 or, even better, compared to any of the Linn/Naim streamers

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
calpark46 said:
I've always seen my upgrade path from Naim Unitilite/Kef LS50 as further up the Naim range (Superuniti/2 box combo) or a Linn Majik DSM, and I posted about it a year ago.

I am, however, increasingly intrigued by Hegel H160 and note that you have to look very hard to find any remotely negative comments about it. I know that it's not a true streamer and so would require AirPlay or, presumably, a link such as an Apple Airport, Sonos Connect, or the like. I intend to keep my LS50s and have seen many comments that the Hegel would be both a good match and that its impressive power would extract so much more from the Kefs.

I will, of course, audition but, given that my nearest Hegel dealer is 150 miles away, I want to first hear feedback from anyone with experience of either the Hegel into LS50 or, even better, compared to any of the Linn/Naim streamers

Therein lies the issue.

It really does little more than a conventional amplifier with digital inputs, so you will need a computer or dedicated streamer to deliver the content.

The Naim and Linn all in ones are exactly that, all in ones. I can see the attraction of the Hegel, it is a powerful amplifier and a fine product but to me it kind of misses the point.

There is a new Hegel, called Rost I believe, which is more the Linn and Naim. Moon do a model called Neo Ace along the same lines. All are well under 100watts so aren't like the 160. The only 'mega' all in one I can think of is a recent Musical Fidelity, the name of which escapes me, but doubtless you can google it (from about £3000).

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
You could look at the new Electrocompaniet ECI6DX all in one .

It does everything possible and has a powerful high current amplifier ( 125wpc / 8 ohms, 200wpc / 4ohms, 370wpc / 2 ohms ) and 100 amps peak current delivery .

Here is the spec sheet.
Digital section: D/A converter24 bit/192 kHzSample rate converter24bit / 192kHzInputsSPDIF, 2x Toslink, 1x USBUSB: asynchronous up to 24bit/ 192kHz supportedSPDIF: 24bit/ 192kHzToslink: 24bit/ 96kHz

Streamer section
• Advanced 802.11 AC WiFi with MIMO
• 1x Gigabit Ethernet (1000Mbps)
• 1x USB for external storage
• iOS, Android and web app

Streaming services
• Spotify Connect
• TIDAL
• WiMP
• Qobuz
• AirPlay
• Internet Radio
• DLNA as renderer

Supported formats:
• All popular formats including: WAV/WAVE, MP3, AAC+, Vorbis, AC3, DTS, ALAC, FLAC, APE, WMA, up to 192kHZ/24bit, DSD, up to DSD 128 (5.6 MHz)
Preamplifier section Input impedance ( Balanced input )47KohmMaximum input level10 Volt RMSNoise floor ( 1Vrms, 20 - 20 kHz, balanced)-135 dBTHD + N (1Vrms, 20 - 20 kHz, balanced) <0.004%Gain (Balanced)0 dB Amplifier section Output Impedance< 0,02 OhmFrequency response1 – 150 kHzChannel separation> 120 dBTHD ( 20 - 20 kHz)< 0.004%Maximum peak current>100ADamping factor 8 ohm load>350I Input sensitivity 120W output1.3VrmsInput sensitivity HT 120W output1VrmsGain HT Inputx36 (31 dB)Rated output power 8 ohms2 x 125 W4 ohms2 x 200 W2 ohms2 x 370 W
Power consumption

110 W
Standby1W(no load or signal) Dimensions Width465 mm / 18.3 inchesDepth405 mm / 16 inchesHeight128 mm / 5 inchesWeight20Kg / 44 lbs.
http://www.electrocompaniet.com/opencms/products/classic/integrated/ECI_6DX

http://www.mackenziehifi.com/electrocompaniet-eci-6dx-nextgen-network-streamerampdac-3777-p.asp

ECI6DX_zpsjd13wqr8.jpg

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
nopiano said:
That looks very decent, electro!

The minimum expected for the best part of £4k.

I do like a bit of Electro though...*air_kiss*

It's positively cheap compared with some other ( not really ) comparable offerings, and you get a real Electrocompaniet amplifier thrown in with a lot more power than the competition, just add a four grand ( or any good quality speaker at any price ) pair of speakers and you have one hell of a good system .

davedotco said:
nopiano said:

Seems to tick a lot of boxes, and it should for the money, but knowing Electrocompaniet build quality it is probably worth it.

The Musical Fidelity offering is the Encore 225 which offers pretty much the same as well as a CD ripper and even more power. Might be worth considering.

Al ears said:
davedotco said:
nopiano said:

Seems to tick a lot of boxes, and it should for the money, but knowing Electrocompaniet build quality it is probably worth it.

The Musical Fidelity offering is the Encore 225 which offers pretty much the same as well as a CD ripper and even more power. Might be worth considering.
The MF was announced sone months back, and has been advertised quite widely too, but I've not seen any reviews yet, which is a surprise. Maybe I'm not up to date with all the mags, however!

nopiano said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
nopiano said:

The MF was announced sone months back, and has been advertised quite widely too, but I've not seen any reviews yet, which is a surprise. Maybe I'm not up to date with all the mags, however!

A bit strange that, maybe MF don't like handing them out. It has been mentioned in mags like HiFi Choice but I haven't seen a full, in depth, review.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
But the prices are eyewateringly expensive...*shok*

I know that for many users, nothing else is required, bar speakers, but even someone like me who has spent some serious money on kit over the years finds them pricy.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
These all in one's are still a bit of a oxymoron ... in that they need external storage for music (and presumably loudpeakers so that you can hear something). It would be nice if manufacturers allowed space inside their boxes to install local storage in the form of a hard drive or two.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The NAD M32 also worth a look if that is in your price range. The modular construction allows for a plug-in streaming module and coupled with NAD/Bluesound software support means that there is less chance of your pride and joy going obsolete.

Streaming modules can also be fitted to the cheaper NAD C388 amplifier which still delivers 250W!

tino said:
These all in one's are still a bit of a oxymoron ... in that they need external storage for music (and presumably loudpeakers so that you can hear something). It would be nice if manufacturers allowed space inside their boxes to install local storage in the form of a hard drive or two.

They do but unfortunately all in ones still require you to choose speakers.

Al ears said:
nopiano said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
nopiano said:

A bit strange that, maybe MF don't like handing them out. It has been mentioned in mags like HiFi Choice but I haven't seen a full, in depth, review.
To answer my own point, the December issue of Gramophone arrived today, and includes a review by Mr Everard, late of these pages. I see the power amp is from the M6si, but only adds £800 to the cost of the 'connect' version. I'd thought it was only an 'all in one'. He likes it, especially for classical music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts