Yamaha A3090 replacement

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
It may have become necessary for me to replace my Yamaha A3090 amplifier. I bought it in 1998 for £1299. I only use a small part of its capability and connections but always enjoyed its fantastic cinema sound delivered without the need for a sub. In order to get at least as good sound where should I be looking in the current Yamaha range? Initial research suggests prices perhaps may have come down like so many aspects of consumer electronics but is that really the case with audio? I've also noticed a lot of modern AV amplifiers have all kinds of new features that I doubt I'd use so what I'm really looking for is simple brilliant sound quality without necessarily paying for functionality I don't need. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Lester

Hi Lester

I know the DSP-A3090 as i used to deal with this model. It was the also the first Yamaha and the first AV amp i had to set up :grin: Excellent amplifier btw :)

What speakers and other components do you use?

I've taken on board your comments about features on modern AV amps however are there any particular features you would still like a replacement amplifier to have?

What is your budget?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Centre: B&W CC6. Fronts: B&W CDM2SE. Rear: B&W DS6 (THX)

Cabling: Cable Talk 4.1

Optical connections from DVD & 360

Rick, thanks for your response. The budget goes to the heart of my question. If it was necessary to spend the same again to get the same quality sound I would, I'd be compelled to. In doing so though I imagine I would get an even better sounding amp with more features and connections than I'd know what to do with (seriously baffled!). My goal is to get a sense of what I *need* to spend to simply stand still sonically? Over the years my setup has simplified so now I have a fairly ordinary Panasonic DVD recorder to play movies and an Xbox 360 for gaming. The Yahama amp together with, what 13 years ago, were well regarded speakers and cabling has always provided wonderfully immersive sound with great precision, movement and bass. In many ways the A3090 was overkill but I think this just allowed it to do what I wanted effortlessly. Even at little more than one quarter volume, with the right game or film, you can feel completely under siege. How do you put a price on that? :)

Hi brittonl

Thanks for your reply.

I know the B&W speakers as i also used to deal with these.

Can't do anything about the features which have appeared on AV amplifiers over the years. However you can still improve upon the performance of the already impressive DSP-A3090 whilst keeping the features count to a minimum (by todays standards anyway). If you're happy to consider used/discontinued amplification then the amplifier i'll highly recommend is Yamaha's superb DSP-Z9. Alternatively Yamaha's DSP-Z11 (whilst having many more features then the DSP-Z9) is an amplifier which also has excellent levels of performance. The DSP-Z9's and DSP-Z11's processing and their quality of power will help energize your speakers far more effectively and thereby offer much greater levels of all round performance.

As to Yamaha's current AV amplifiers their new Aventage RX-A3010 (i've not heard one yet though) looks to be very promising.

Btw, i'll also recommend that you should look at using a sub woofer as i truly feel it'll be the icing on the cake for your system. B&W's excellent (discontinued) ASW-675 will help fill the gap just nicely.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hello Rick

I agree entirely about the sub and if I ever live in a detached property I'll get one immediately. I have one in my car but it just doesn't seem right inflicting a sub on the neighbours.

I'm not keen on reconditioned equipment but discontinued products are fine. It seems the A3067 is being offered for £800 which seems a bargain given its former price.

The A3010 is just too much. I wondering whether the A1010 might be the way to go as that's another 7.2 amp like the A3090?

Thanks

Lester

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
There will be many areas where the 1010 might be a bit better than the 3090, but you'll lost out as far as amplification is concerned. I'd stick to the 3010. This may come with some extras you don't need or want, but don't let that put you off as many of these features are now standard on most AV receivers.

Hi Lester

Thanks for your post.

That's fair enough about a sub.

Just to clarify what i meant regarding used was previously owned amplifiers.

Anyway if you're not too concerned about having all the latest features then i'll recommend that you should look out for a DSP-Z9 :twisted: as you should find one for a fair price :)

Btw, just to be clear i don't deal with used components.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts