Yamaha A-S801 Click Sound in Standby

hifi909181

Feb 27, 2023
Visit site
My A-S801 ( 2-year warranty) is making a seemingly random click sound and it is very annoying. I can force the amp to click, in the same way, by pressing a button on an unrelated remote control. After the click, the amp clicks a second time, a bit later. Bad remote control sensor? Yamaha support said to take the amp to an authorized repair center. So, I contacted the repair center and the estimated cost of the out of warranty repair is $250-350! So, on top of the $999 cost, you might have the repair cost in a couple of years. Keep that in mind while shopping for an amp. Hope this info helps. If anyone knows exactly what part needs to be replaced, please post the details/part number/procedure. Thanks.

Last edited:

Gray

Bad remote control sensor?
I think that's unlikely.
Presumably it's failing to come out of standby.
If you haven't already done it, search online for someone with the same model / symptom.
(You just might find someone on YouTube doing the necessary repair).
Failing that, try to find a repairer that will provide a low cost (or even free) estimate for repair.

Reactions: hifi909181
There was mention in the earlier thread of updating a power supply to fix this symptom. But I’ve no idea how you would do that.

Is yours out of warranty? I note that the 801 is no longer sold in the UK. Maybe it was unreliable, though that’s rare for Yamaha.

hifi909181

Feb 27, 2023
Visit site
There was mention in the earlier thread of updating a power supply to fix this symptom. But I’ve no idea how you would do that.

Is yours out of warranty? I note that the 801 is no longer sold in the UK. Maybe it was unreliable, though that’s rare for Yamaha.
Yes. The Yamaha warranty is 2 years. The 801 is still available in stock in both colors, in the US.

hifi909181

Feb 27, 2023
Visit site
I think that's unlikely.
Presumably it's failing to come out of standby.
If you haven't already done it, search online for someone with the same model / symptom.
(You just might find someone on YouTube doing the necessary repair).
Failing that, try to find a repairer that will provide a low cost (or even free) estimate for repair.
Thanks, I am searching now for a local repairer. I was hoping that maybe someone reading this post would know the specifics of repairing this click click click issue. Yamaha is aware of the issue, but will not give details. "For liability reasons, our assistance is limited to the operation and hookup of the product."

Yes. The Yamaha warranty is 2 years. The 801 is still available in stock in both colors, in the US.
Ok, that’s interesting it’s still sold locally to you. I’m sorry I can’t help, as I can imagine your frustration.

As it’s out of warranty you could get anyone to fix it, at maybe a lower cost. But you’d want to be persuaded of their expertise.

hifi909181

Feb 27, 2023
Visit site
Ok, that’s interesting it’s still sold locally to you. I’m sorry I can’t help, as I can imagine your frustration.

As it’s out of warranty you could get anyone to fix it, at maybe a lower cost. But you’d want to be persuaded of their expertise.
I really appreciate this forum, because I did not have any info about this issue and learned that my malfunctioning 801 was not an isolated case. The posts/replies on this forum have been very helpful! Thanks everyone!

Reactions: Gray and nopiano

SteveR750

Try posting the question in the ASR forums - there are multiple DIYers, manufacturers, elec engineers etc that frequent their pages. That might be your quickest route. FWIW, there is a tear down thread of the A-S701, it's not shoddy by any means so surprised that (if) your 801 has developed a fault.

That said, there are relay protection circuits on the Yamaha amps (and Denon, and and and etc), you'll hear the relays click after a few seconds of turning it on. It won't click when changing source. My 501 has auto power off, which also clicks. I switch a source on, it powers on again after another click. Your sky remote might just be incidentally switching it on and off?

Last edited:
Is there definitely a fault? Does it do the same thing if you unplug all sources and speaker cables from it? If it then still does it, it’ll be an internal issue, unless it is receiving some IR info from something else. You could take it upstairs and plug it in there to see if it still does the same to eliminate that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts