Yamaha A-S501 blinking light issue, no sound, no other function working

SkidNY

May 11, 2024
Visit site
I have a used Yamaha A-S501 for which I bought new speakers (Klipsch RP 600 M II + Klipsch R120SW). The inputs are from my Technics SL1950 Turntable and Sharp XLF102B, on which I play CDs, Radio AM/FM and use the Bluetooth on the Sharp to stream Spotify from my Samsung phone.

Two days ago, I connected the Klipsch RP 600 MII bookshelf speakers and the Klipsch R120 SW to my Yamaha A-S501. Everything worked beautifully for the next couple of days and I got rich, deep sound like never before. I played this on different types of music to test the capability as well as burn in the new speakers.
However, just this evening, the Yamaha A-S501 shut off. All its doing now is showing a blinking light at the power button. No other functions are active.
I checked the manual and went through all the probable causes listed under 'blinking lights' (see snapshot below). Nothing works. Speaker wires aren't shorted, speakers are brand new (not malfunctioning). amp volume button was firmly in the less than 1/2 position, and there was no discernible heat coming off the amp.
I waited 30 minutes and restarted. Nothing.
2 hours later, its still showing blinking lights. I have disconnected everything, waited and then restarted.
All I get are the blinking lights, no action.
I would be very grateful for advice/help to find and fix the issue.

Thanks in advance.
1715908028847.png

SkidNY

May 11, 2024
Visit site
Did you connect the 120 to the Yamaha speaker outputs?
If you did - regardless of the fact that everything was fine for 2 days - you should first disconnect the SW from the Yamaha - just to see if the situation changes....
Hi,
I connected the subwoofer to the subwoofer out on the Yamaha. I disconnected it once the blinking lights started, and have tested the amp both with the subs connected and disconnected. It still doesn't move past the blinking lights. Its been a good 18 hours since this started.

Reactions: Gray

twinkletoes

can you take the lid off and see if any of the glass fuses have blown around the speaker terminals/amp.
Easy to see, there will be a black soot all over the glass. They should be clear.

If they are blown there easy to change and cheap to buy, the question you then need to ask at that point is why they have blown.

they look like this if indeed there is any that is.
Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 15.41.41.png

Reactions: DougK1

SkidNY

May 11, 2024
Visit site
can you take the lid off and see if any of the glass fuses have blown around the speaker terminals/amp.
Easy to see, there will be a black soot all over the glass. They should be clear.

If they are blown there easy to change and cheap to buy, the question you then need to ask at that point is why they have blown.

they look like this if indeed there is any that is.
View attachment 6715
Thanks, that's good advice. I will try it out and update.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
My best guess is that the amp is stuck in protection mode and you are not re-setting it correctly. We have to assume that you pulled the mains plug out from the wall for 30 mins. and then followed Yamaha's instructions?
I'm pretty sure this amp does not have speaker fuses, it uses digital overload protection circuitry. Most likely, the only fuse will be the mains protection fuse.
Why do you keep referring to the 'subs' do you have 2 connected now?
As already stated by another poster you only need one cable from the sub out to the sub in on the Klipsch and the Klipsch manual tells you which one to use.
Did you have the amplifiers impedance switch set correctly for the main speakers?
How loud were you playing your music when you were 'burning in' your speakers?
If you were using a split 'Y' cable from the amp to the sub and you were playing your music loud this may have caused the problem.
Did you at any point connect the sub to any speaker outs? If you did this would cause overloading of the amp. and possibly serious damage to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

SkidNY

May 11, 2024
Visit site
My best guess is that the amp is stuck in protection mode and you are not re-setting it correctly. We have to assume that you pulled the mains plug out from the wall for 30 mins. and then followed Yamaha's instructions?
I'm pretty sure this amp does not have speaker fuses, it uses digital overload protection circuitry. Most likely, the only fuse will be the mains protection fuse.
Why do you keep referring to the 'subs' do you have 2 connected now?
As already stated by another poster you only need one cable from the sub out to the sub in on the Klipsch and the Klipsch manual tells you which one to use.
Did you have the amplifiers impedance switch set correctly for the main speakers?
How loud we're you playing your music when you we're 'burning in' your speakers?
If you were using a split 'Y' cable from the amp to the sub and you were playing your music loud this may have caused the problem.
Did you at any point connect the sub to any speaker outs? If you did this would cause overloading of the amp. and possibly serious damage to it.
Thank you for your detailed message. Please see my responses below:
1. the amp is stuck in protection mode and you are not re-setting it correctly. - I am pretty sure that's the case. I downloaded the Service Manual and will follow the diagnostics instructions on it later today and then update.
2. pulled the mains plug out from the wall for 30 mins - Yes, I did that. I left it unplugged overnight. Still not working.
3. do you have 2 connected now? - No, just one sub - Klipsch Reference 120SW. Currently disconnected after I detected the blinking light issue, along with both speakers (Klipsch Reference Premiere 600 M II)
4. only need one cable from the sub out to the sub in on the Klipsch - Only a single Audio cable connected from the sub-out on the Yamaha to the L/LFE in on the Klipsch SW.
5. amplifiers impedance switch set correctly - Set at 'High' as my speakers are 8Ω impedance, following the manual.
6. How loud - volume set at a constant 40%. I would probably be evicted from my NYC apartment if I played any louder.
7. using a split 'Y' cable - not using one.
8. connect the sub to any speaker outs - Never did.
I hope this helps. I would be grateful for more detailed advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts