Yamaha A-S500 vs RX-V667

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

I'm glad this thread was resurrected; I did wonder about MP's comments around the differences in the 667 and the 500 as being characteristics as opposed to major issues. AVI bought a 667 and thoroughly rated it in their workshop, I like the appeal of the HD audio capability and the fact you can assign the power amps to biamp the front channels, or in my case, the stereo speakers which takes 90w to the tweeters and the bass driver of the 752. The price is also rather good for the silver fronted model in Richer Sounds VIP deals page (£249) for it does have an immense appeal - would love to try one out, but having already returned a DACMagic a few weeks back, I'm loathe to waste people's time by the same token if I don't like it...!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Most of these £400-500 AV receivers are now much of a muchness - gone are the days when one manufacturer rules this price point.

With the 667 now discontinued, anybody wanting one should move quickly while there's stock. And make sure wherever you buy from gives you the standard Yamaha warranty of 2years...

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Out of interest how do you rate the Yamaha AS1000, AS700 to the 500 model? I'm asking because the 700 and 1000 seem to be dropping in price especially the 700. These higher models looks like a good buy.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I've never heard the 700 model, and I can't remember whether I heard the 1000 or 2000 at launch when the rep brought them in, so I've not done a direct comparison. But, I can't say I've ever heard a £300 hi-fi amp compare favourably with any over the £1k mark - there's always been very noticeable differences. At the end of the day, a £300ish amplifier is built to a budget - there's only so much that's possible for £300.

T

the record spot

Although do bear in mind the 80-20 rule. Granted, this isn't an IT project, but if you can get 80% of the sound for 20% of the cost (and with a lot of "budget" hifi, I'd suggest that's nearer 85-90% in many cases these days, if not more), you might find you don't need to spend more.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's all about balancing a system. In the right system, I don't think any £300 amplifier will give 80-95% of £1k plus amplifier. The differences can be quite easily demonstrated. The Rotel amplifiers are probably the nearest to higher end amplifiers (to my ears), but even then I wouldn't say they'd do 80%.

Having said that, we're all different, and some people would probably rate a £300 amp as being as good as a £3k amplifier.

T

the record spot

Indeed, and in the wrong setup if we're talking separates, a higher priced amp can sound like dreck if you go for the whole synergy thing and in my experience, there's plenty of good examples out there that prove one theory or another.

In the end it's opinion, but if Sansui could do it with their 217 giving a good 80% of what the 717 did in 1977, I imagine amplifier design and construction hasn't tanked so much as that theory doesn't apply now. Then again, I'm not in the business of selling amps.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I've got a RXV667 in my HC, use it with a Sonos connected by optical and have always felt it was good but a little way behind my hi-fi. Last night listened to some classical and was astonished how good it sounded.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:I've owned an A-S700 in the past and now own an A-S500. The A-S500 is the better amp IMO - more involving, better timing and even more convincing tonally than the 700.

interesting to hear. glad i went for the A-S500 in the end!

A

Anonymous

ear:Jezbaker how is the pug?

how do u know i have a pug? :p

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:But, I can't say I've ever heard a £300 hi-fi amp compare favourably with any over the £1k mark - there's always been very noticeable differences.

I don't think that price tag is necessarily a good indicator of performance (in my experience). I used to own a Naim NAC122X and NAP 150X combination, costing well over £1500 for the pair, but it sounded absolutely dire. The limited headroom meant it was constantly clipping on transients.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts