YAMAHA A-S500 or PIONEER A30 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Denon PMA720AE. It is a stunning amp. 2 in our family and they both sound fantastic across a wide range of music.

my mate is interested in this one to replace his faulty one, the denon has been reduced in price significantly . How would you describe the sound compared to say Marantz or Nad, According to WHF review it does not do subtle !

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Johnno2 said:
matthewpiano said:
Denon PMA720AE. It is a stunning amp. 2 in our family and they both sound fantastic across a wide range of music.

my mate is interested in this one to replace his faulty one, the denon has been reduced in price significantly . How would you describe the sound compared to say Marantz or Nad, According to WHF review it does not do subtle !

Right OK I have heard this amp now a few times at my mates house, its availabe for £179 now, WHF are talking the **** only giving it four stars, it sounds superb, it should have 5 stars and gold ones at that at this price !, easliy competes with my marantz pm7001 and yes, it can do laid back imo, with the right match

it really does make me think that retaliers adjust their prices based on star ratings, . If this had 5 star rating no doubt the price would not have dropped as much, funny how the 5 star rated yamaha as 500 is 100 pounds more than this amp and sound is not better than the denon at all imo, but hey its got 5 stars so it will sell, lets keep the price higher.....maybe I am cynical

matthewpiano

Sorry I missed your questions. I agree with you completely. I've heard pretty much all of the sub £500 amps out there and IMO the Denon deserves 5 stars at its original price of £350. At £179-£200 (today's prices) it is an absolute bargain.

I find it to be a very subtle amp when required. For a while I had this and a NAD C326BEE, and the Denon is just so much more versatile. Yes, it can really attack with a full orchestra or a bit of Metallica (as it should do), but play a bit of Heidi Talbot or Bella Hardy on it and it sounds gorgeous, displaying all the inflections and subtleties in the music.

Sometimes, when I'm away from home, I catch myself considering what I could upgrade it to. Then I come home and listen to some music and I realise it would take one hell of an upgrade to move me away from this amp.

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
electricman said:
i saw the NAD C326BEE doesn't have loudness command, do you think that's a real default when someone like me enjoy big sound ?

At low vol, say under h8:30, with the Nads you can't get low big bass as you can with Denon, Marantz or Pioneer with activated loudness ; tested at home and in shop...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The volume control is not a ver good indication of loudness, some amps. go loud quickly and then sound poor after 12 oclock others increase the volume slowly.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Sorry I missed your questions. I agree with you completely. I've heard pretty much all of the sub £500 amps out there and IMO the Denon deserves 5 stars at its original price of £350. At £179-£200 (today's prices) it is an absolute bargain.

I find it to be a very subtle amp when required. For a while I had this and a NAD C326BEE, and the Denon is just so much more versatile. Yes, it can really attack with a full orchestra or a bit of Metallica (as it should do), but play a bit of Heidi Talbot or Bella Hardy on it and it sounds gorgeous, displaying all the inflections and subtleties in the music.

Sometimes, when I'm away from home, I catch myself considering what I could upgrade it to. Then I come home and listen to some music and I realise it would take one hell of an upgrade to move me away from this amp.

Could not agree more, BTW anyone looking at a sub £200 brand new amp would be very foolish not to seriously consider this superb little Denon , grab one before they put the price back up is what I say..... wonder how it compares with the pioneer A30

TRENDING THREADS