Pioneer VSX 421 K 5.1 3D or Yamaha AS501

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I just want a decent A/V reciever that will act as an all in one for my set up at home.

I want to be able to power some Q Acoustics 3020 speakers or Concept 20 speakers and also be able to use an optical to my TV so everything that plays out of the TV (i.e. Virgin Media, XBOX, Laptop etc ) comes out of the speakers.

I have seen these two Pioneer VSX 421 K 5.1 3D or Yamaha AS501 For sale second hand at a price i can afford,

Any opinions??

matthewpiano

The A-S501 is an integrated amplifier rather than an A/V receiver. It is one of the best of the current crop of budget integrated amplifiers with an even handed sound across the frequency range, plenty of power, and a decent sounding DAC built in. It doesn't compete with the next level of amplifiers up (Rega Brio-R, Cambridge CXA-60, Arcam A19 etc.) but it is a very good all-rounder for the price. You can add Bluetooth to it using Yamaha's optional YBA-11 bluetooth receiver which works well.

Sorry I don't have any experience of the Pioneer A/V receiver you mention.

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks again matthew, the Yamaha I can get my hands on for £100 which is an absolute bargain i know it is still for sale at Richer sounds for twice the price, obviously with the guarantee etc thrown in but still for that price I'll take my chances.

matthewpiano said:
The A-S501 is an integrated amplifier rather than an A/V receiver. It is one of the best of the current crop of budget integrated amplifiers with an even handed sound across the frequency range, plenty of power, and a decent sounding DAC built in. It doesn't compete with the next level of amplifiers up (Rega Brio-R, Cambridge CXA-60, Arcam A19 etc.) but it is a very good all-rounder for the price. You can add Bluetooth to it using Yamaha's optional YBA-11 bluetooth receiver which works well.

Sorry I don't have any experience of the Pioneer A/V receiver you mention.

See his other thread. But I wouldn't buy the Pioneer for a first Hi-Fi set-up, and the Yamaha does not constitute 'all in one' in my book. It is the better option of the two though.

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi Al,

Why wouldn't you reccommend a pioneer as a first system?

It has all the inputs and outputs and the power to handle the speakers, is there something else that i may be missing?

Regards,

matthewpiano

I certainly agree that the A-S501 isn't an all-in-one as there is no source built in to it. It does what it does very well for the money (and even more so for £100!) but do bear in mind how big it is and how much more functionality a CRX-n560D gives you in a much smaller box. It all depends what you top priorities are.

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Size is not really the issue for me, I have a fairly decent TV unit with enough gap in the shelf to fit a big reciever/amp in there, I just want the basics really like i mentioned,

Something that offers good quality, with enough power to power the speakers i mentioned and maybe a sub, that has the outputs to enable me to playback all my sources through the speakers via optical.

Give me that and I'm happy

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DannyB said:
Size is not really the issue for me, I have a fairly decent TV unit with enough gap in the shelf to fit a big reciever/amp in there, I just want the basics really like i mentioned,

Something that offers good quality, with enough power to power the speakers i mentioned and maybe a sub, that has the outputs to enable me to playback all my sources through the speakers via optical.

Give me that and I'm happy

I did, but you don't seem interested...*unknw*

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Yeah thanks Dave,

I like to things you recommended, just i suppose I have seen those two options and the Pioneer I could pick up for £50!!

So if it can do everything I need it to then i don't see why i shouldn't go for it, I'm a rookie dave so apologies if you think I have pushed your advice to one side, that's not the case.

It's just the pursestrings are a little tight at the moment with new job and moving house etc but really want a system if i can get one at a budget.

gasolin

The denon dm40 is always a good choice as a first all in on system (impressive how many times denon mini all in one system i product of the year in it category), good sound a really fair price, with the Q acoustics 3020 since it's cheaper then the concept 20 which basically is a 2020i that is heavier, the units should be the same in the concept 20/2020i where the 3020i should have better unitis although all 3 should more or less be equally loud,deep bass and power handling

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Are available remarkably cheaply secondhand, virtually given away in some cases.

Perhaps you should think about exactly what you want a system to do.

Practical things like what control you have of things feeding through your tv?

Whether that is the best way to play them or whether it would be better routing every thing through an amp of some kind?

Whether you want to stream from a computer or hard drive, or use a hand held via airplay or bluetooth?

How about Spotify connect or other cloud dervices?

Sometimes it is better to spend a little more on something you 'grow into', but then again maybe you just want to keep it simple.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Get the Pioneer.

The Yamaha is a good call but the Pioneer offers more options (HDMI, 5.1, video switching etc) and will match it for sound and is 50quid cheaper!!!

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I've taken everything on board and had a good think, and I think I'm going to wait until next month and spend a little more, something as you say I can grow in too that will do everything, I'm thinking of either getting the denon dm40 or the Yamaha CRX-N560D which really appeals more to me with the airplay and streaming options, looks great too

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Looking at what you intend to run those midi systems will not do the job as well as the receiver.

The Pioneer is the ideal fit (the Yamaha too) espcially if you're running your tv and your console through it.

If your tv, console and pc have HDMI out the Pioneer will offer superior sound over those midi systems.

Your initial post was on the right lines imo to get the best sound per Euro.

If you can get the amps cheap go with them.

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
So do you not think the denon dm40 or Yamaha crx-n560d will be able to handle running 3020 bookshelf speakers as well as connect optical to tv to run them through that too?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
We have the Denon dm38 in the house, my daughters. It'll drive those speakers 'fine'.

It's a fine bedroom/kitchen system. But if you're after a base unit for a system that can accept speaker upgrades and manage all you currently have in your rack. Plus drive those speakers proper.

Go with the amps.

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
For the connectivity options I was thinking denon dm40, Yamaha crx-560d or marantz 611 but I suppose I could get the Pioneer as my main drive unit for the power as its only going to cost £50 and get one of the other 3 as a secondary unit for the extra connectivity options as and when I need

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The Pioneer will accommodate everything you currently have easily.

Does your tv, console and laptop have HDMI?

Console and laptops double as DVD/BluRay players and CD too.

The laptop as streamer - and it'll be on your tv.....

you run them all through the amp - you then switch between devices.

Google image the amp and take a look at the back.

Honestly once set up you'll laugh to yourself about what might have been.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DannyB said:
So do you not think the denon dm40 or Yamaha crx-n560d will be able to handle running 3020 bookshelf speakers as well as connect optical to tv to run them through that too?

[/quote

Bl**dy website....!

The all in ones have a realistic power rating of about 20 watts at 8 ohm. Fine for a bedroom or background music system,but for a main system...

Modern speakers like the 3020 need a bit of power and control to give of their best, I understand that there might be other factors in making your choice, but from a sound quality point of view, pretty much any of the alternative setups mentioned above will be better.

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
That's what I'm asking, as i mentioned I am new to the industry, although I love music I have never really got into this side of it.

Include the Marantz CR-611 with those 2 options, but yes that is basically what i want to know, would it be able to run everything to a good standard without causing me any problems.

Like i mentioned thinking about it the compact size of the 3 mentioned and connectivity options would benefit me with everything i would use it for

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Okay so of the mini hifi systems,

The denon dm40 runs at 30W per channel,

The yamaha mrc-n560d runs at around 32-36w per channel,

The marantz-mcr611 runs at 50-60w per channel

Pioneer is 130W per channel, obviously going to be more powerful but im as you say taking other things into consideration now, i.e size, connectivity, simplicity, design etc.

The marantz should be more than sufficient don't you think?

DannyB said:
Okay so of the mini hifi systems,

The denon dm40 runs at 30W per channel,

The yamaha mrc-n560d runs at around 32-36w per channel,

The marantz-mcr611 runs at 50-60w per channel

Pioneer is 130W per channel, obviously going to be more powerful but im as you say taking other things into consideration now, i.e size, connectivity, simplicity, design etc.

The marantz should be more than sufficient don't you think?

Is it just me or are you going round in circles here with your two threads?

DannyB

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm the most Indecisive person on earth, I'm just trying to be sure i make the right choice before i go for it that's all/

I'll just get the pioneer and one of the other 3 too like i said, that way I'm getting the best of both worlds

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
DannyB said:
I'm the most Indecisive person on earth, I'm just trying to be sure i make the right choice before i go for it that's all/

I'll just get the pioneer and one of the other 3 too like i said, that way I'm getting the best of both worlds

Well get the Pioneer first set it up and then decide if you really need the midi.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts