Yamaha A-S500 and speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a Yamaha A-S500 and pairing it up with a pair of BX2's. Does anyone else have this set-up and recommend it? I also have a second pair of main speakers, which I'll most likely end up using with the BX2's, they are a pair of Ditton 44's (10 - 80 watts per speaker). Will the A-S500 cope with this well?

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Reading the first review of this Yamaha amp in an old What Hifi? (Awards 2010, page 16), it suggests it'll 'shine' with the following:

Monitor Audio BX2 & Marantz CD6003.........
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

I have the A-S500 and a pair of BX5's, and I'm in love with them. I also have the BX2's in my HT, so I tried them with the A-S500 and I believe I would be just as satisfied with that kit - but I didn't spend much time comparing them in detail.

My room is not very big, but I rarely go beyond 1/3 of the volume while listening to CD's in Pure Direct mode. And I like to listen louder than my neighbors probably like me to...

As I came from 20~30-yr-old (cheap?) speakers and a not really outstanding amp, I'm very happy with this kit. For me it sounds incredibly clear, and now I can hear a lot of details that I couldn't before. On the other hand, I'm also sad because some albums I've always had as my favorites revealed themselves so badly recorded.

Answering your question - yes, I recommend that set-up if your budget is around the £600 mark.

VMat

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I had the A-S500 for a while and didn't like it. It just attacks you with music, too aggressive.

I have the BX2 speakers (love them !) and use them with a Nad C326BEE amp. Great synergy and much more balanced. The Marantz PM6003 is a great choice too.

Just my two cents
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Cypher said:
I had the A-S500 for a while and didn't like it. It just attacks you with music, too aggressive.

I have the BX2 speakers (love them !) and use them with a Nad C326BEE amp. Great synergy and much more balanced. The Marantz PM6003 is a great choice too.

Just my two cents
smiley-smile.gif

Best advice that is always given is to go out and listen to demo's every one does not have the same tastes.

I have a set of KEF300's bi-wired to a A-S500 and i am extremely happy with the sound quality.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Maybe I don't like the A-S500 as much because I'm used to listen to laidback/warm amps like the C326BEE or PM6003.

Always audition amps for yourself and you can use opinions from others as guidelines.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I am with Cypher and would also prefer the NAD.Maybe you also consider the Onkyo TX-8050,that´s a very interesting amp imo,didn´t heard yet.If you are on the brighter side you can also think about an Advance Acoustic Blackline MAP101.This one impressed me more than the yamaha AS-500 which isn´t bad at all bdw.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I am with Cypher and would also prefer the NAD.Maybe you also consider the Onkyo TX-8050,that´s a very interesting amp imo,didn´t heard yet.If you are on the brighter side you can also think about an Advance Acoustic Blackline MAP101.This one impressed me more than the yamaha AS-500 which isn´t bad at all bdw.

danielmpoole said:
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a Yamaha A-S500 and pairing it up with a pair of BX2's. Does anyone else have this set-up and recommend it? I also have a second pair of main speakers, which I'll most likely end up using with the BX2's, they are a pair of Ditton 44's (10 - 80 watts per speaker). Will the A-S500 cope with this well?

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Hi Dan

Yes, i found the A-S500 to work well with the BX2's. However just some questions (i hope you will not mind) -

Have you already got a pair of BX2's?

What amplifier do you currently use?

What source component/s will you be using?

Are the BX2's and Ditton's to be used in the same room? Are both sets of speakers also likely to be used at the same time?

The size of room/s?

Your general listening level?

Your listening distance?

What do you generally listen to?

Will anyone else also use the system? If so, their listening preferences?

Are tone controls such as on the A-S500 something which you would use?

What kind of presentation are would you like the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
danielmpoole said:
Hi all,

Thanks for your help,

Dan

Hi Dan

Yes, i found the A-S500 to work well with the BX2's. However just some questions (i hope you will not mind) -

Have you already got a pair of BX2's?

What amplifier do you currently use?

What source component/s will you be using?

Are the BX2's and Ditton's to be used in the same room? Are both sets of speakers also likely to be used at the same time?

The size of room/s?

Your general listening level?

Your listening distance?

What do you generally listen to?

Will anyone else also use the system? If so, their listening preferences?

Are tone controls such as on the A-S500 something which you would use?

What kind of presentation are would you like the system to reproduce?

Your overall budget for an amplifier?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts