Yamaha A-S2100, new speakers!

JohanEk

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Hello!
I have a Yamaha A-S2100 and a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+.
Selling my big floorstanders and looking for new smaller speakers, either smaller floorstanders or bookshelf speakers.
ATC Scm11 or Scm19 is on top of my list to test. Then PMC 25.22 or 25.23.
Alos been looking at Harbeth, Spendor and ProAc.

Anyone here tried ATC with their Yamaha amp? Will it be efficient enough?

Cheers!

Reactions: MUSICRAFT
Hello!
I have a Yamaha A-S2100 and a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+.
Selling my big floorstanders and looking for new smaller speakers, either smaller floorstanders or bookshelf speakers.
ATC Scm11 or Scm19 is on top of my list to test. Then PMC 25.22 or 25.23.
Alos been looking at Harbeth, Spendor and ProAc.

Anyone here tried ATC with their Yamaha amp? Will it be efficient enough?

Cheers!

The curved SCM11’s and curved SCM19 passive monitors are an overall a benign load and based on my experience with the A-S2000, the A-S2100 should also have enough juice under the bonnet for the ATC’s.

Reactions: JohanEk
D

Deleted member 108165

Apparently ATC don't do low volume very well, they need cranking to get the best out of them.

D

Deleted member 188516

I would imagine so, it really doesn't matter where the amplification is ..... :)

i was under the impression that (properly designed) actives are superior as the amplifiers are perfectly matched to the driver / job they are assigned for ?

i was under the impression that (properly designed) actives are superior as the amplifiers are perfectly matched to the driver / job they are assigned for ?
They are still not going to get the best out a badly designed box and whether or not they match a particular driver, which is difficult, they may not be the best for any source attached.
You're limited on amplifier design as sticking one in a wooden box is not the best way to dissipate heat......
Active speakers have their place if you are looking to reduce box count, they do however, severely limit upgrade potential and so can be difficult to sell on, in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 108165

Not ime. Over the years I've found that some supposedly easy to drive loudspeakers need to be turned up more before they get into gear.
Never heard any ATC speakers so I wouldn't really know, I'm only going by what owners have said. Many of them state that whilst they are excellent speakers they are not at their best for low-level evening listening sessions. They don't open up until they're given a good dollop of volume.

Never heard any ATC speakers so I wouldn't really know, I'm only going by what owners have said. Many of them state that whilst they are excellent speakers they are not at their best for low-level evening listening sessions. They don't open up until they're given a good dollop of volume.

Well i’ve found that not to the case with ATC monitors. It’s some other supposedly easy to drive loudspeakers that require a good dollop of volume before they open up.

D

Deleted member 116933

I lived with the for 3 weeks on home demo and I can categorically say they need a good twist on the volume knob to get them going they are not low volume listening speakers if that's what you're after its nothing but tweeter at lower levels. If you're after a full sound at lower levels brands such as Revel, B&W, KEF Burchard audio will outperform on this front. And for non "monitoring" speakers the revels m106 performer series show them a clean pair of heels easily offering far greater sound stage and faster delivery of the music which is meant to be ATC's ace. And if your thinking because the ATCs are a sealed design you can put them up against the wall think again, they need plenty of room, not too mention some really heavyweight stands something like Partington broadsides

Think about ATC's pedigree, they're studio based monitor company but packaging to consumers, these speakers are designed to be played load for hours on end, the driver assembles make up most of the weight of the speakers the drivers are tested to extremes.

Your Yamaha seems powerfully enough, ohm spec really doesn't bother me with modern amps, it very much a guessing game with the way amps delivers the gain. The 83db spec suggests an amp that can deliver clean volume when turned up, some can't.

Putting my own views aside, For the vast majority of people, ATC is not the brand they want especially if you're not prepared to listen at full gas the whole time. ATC come into there own with there active designs id be looking at the a19scm the active version of the passive 19s you'd proably enjoys them more. A dac wth a volume control done! very clean set up.

Passive for the price id rather go JBL revel or B&W

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts