Yamaha A-S2000 amp - toroidal transformer?

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi friends,

When I look at the inside pictures of Ya-2000 I can not understand what is hidden under Yamaha logo. Is it E-type or toroidal transformer?

If you look at A-S3000 new model - it is for sure toroidal. But I am not sure about the 2000.

Thanks!

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Why does it matter?

Hi chebby,

I predicted this question :)

I agree that as soon as you like the sound you do not have to be bothered about the circuit. And actually I am in love with the 2000's sounding together with CMs.

I am just worried that an E-core transformer can do its job not as great as a toroidal one. Probably the amp would have more distortion at high volume or E-core is not ok when there's a great voltage surge.

More expensive hi-fi gadgets alwaus have toroids :)

Thanks!

matthewpiano

Too much is made of Toroidal transformers IMO and the case has been overstated. They can work superbly (Rotel for example), but some of the noisiest transformers I've had in amps have been toroids - Cambridge Audio Azur series and NAD. Like anything else the execution is more important than the exact technology used IMO.

If you like the sound of the Yamaha just enjoy it. Yamaha know a thing or two about electronics.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Chaloff said:

Not all.

I can think of some very expensive Accuphase and Luxman and ATC amps that don't.

Even the amps in ATC active speakers don't...

Amp-Pack.png

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Too much is made of Toroidal transformers IMO and the case has been overstated. They can work superbly (Rotel for example), but some of the noisiest transformers I've had in amps have been toroids - Cambridge Audio Azur series and NAD. Like anything else the execution is more important than the exact technology used IMO.

If you like the sound of the Yamaha just enjoy it. Yamaha know a thing or two about electronics.

I can understand each word you say. And I was pondering about these issues.

Lyrics: But toroidal transformer was the second reason to buy Oppo. (First was to possess a "hi-fi mediaplayer" stoked by great ado in the web. (I would not say "about nothing")) :)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

+1

Chris

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Chaloff said:

Not all.

I can think of some very expensive Accuphase and Luxman and ATC amps that don't.

Even the amps in ATC active speakers don't...

Ok, I'm close to trust...

in case you say that top models of Accuphase and Luxman and ATC (within corresponding product lines) do not have toroidal transformers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Chaloff said:

Thanks!

Mcintosh and Audio Research are others that have and still do use Frame transformers.

All types of these transformers are more than capable of supplying the voltage/current required if adequately specified. The rest of the design is far, far more important.

regards

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
I think you'd better pass on the A-S2000.

It's lack of a toroidal transformer is really going to bug you and that will subtract from your enjoyment.

Right, chebby, thanks so much! This is the answer to my OP. 2000 lacks toroidal. :cheers:

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
The power that explodes from my extremley well built Yamaha as2000 is supplied by a nuclear reactor, me thinks.

Plenty of clean sounding watt's on tap !.................... :O

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Chaloff said:

Thanks!

Mcintosh and Audio Research are others that have and still do use Frame transformers.

All types of these transformers are more than capable of supplying the voltage/current required if adequately specified. The rest of the design is far, far more important.

regards

Hi drummer,

Thanks! Your post and chebby's open some new doors for me. Still the transformer needs to be heavy, not necessarily toroidal or E-type or whatever. Am I correct? (All this in regards of ability of the amp to play heavy music on high volumes).

I have read your interesting post http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/amplifier-circuits and I envy you that you understand such stuff :( :)

Can you please comment on 2000? Some pros and cons.

Terribly sorry, but I tried for the first time to attach a picture and can not understand how to take it out of my PC. Will read later the FAQ about that. I am sure you've seen the 2000 inside picture plenty of times.

Thanks!

Chaloff

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
The power that explodes from my extremley well built Yamaha as2000 is supplied by a nuclear reactor, me thinks.

:cheers:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Chaloff said:
drummerman said:
Chaloff said:

Thanks!

regards

Hi drummer,

Thanks! Your post and chebby's open some new doors for me. Still the transformer needs to be heavy, not necessarily toroidal or E-type or whatever. Am I correct? (All this in regards of ability of the amp to play heavy music on high volumes).

I have read your interesting post http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/amplifier-circuits and I envy you that you understand such stuff :( :)

Can you please comment on 2000? Some pros and cons.

Terribly sorry, but I tried for the first time to attach a picture and can not understand how to take it out of my PC. Will read later the FAQ about that. I am sure you've seen the 2000 inside picture plenty of times.

Thanks!

And I thought your problem was playing music at low volume ;)

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Chaloff said:
alchemist 1 said:

:cheers: Oh yes, i had my Yamaha as 2000 driving b&w cm1's with ease and great control over the speakers............8)
Have a look at techradar for a comprehensive review of amp and matching as2000 sacd player.

A five star product...........:read:

Tacty

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
abacus said:
The Yamaha A S2000 amp is tested alongside its competitors in the latest WHF due out on the 28th

Bill

funny review...yamaha is taken down for beign to smooth? so what? i like it that way and i will choose smooth transistor amp any day over take no prisoners rivals...if the name wasnt yamaha it will be praised for its civilised, cultured, sophisticated sound and will be awashed with stars...bias bias on the wall..

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Tacty said:
funny review...yamaha is taken down for beign to smooth? so what? i like it that way and i will choose smooth transistor amp any day over take no prisoners rivals...if the name wasnt yamaha it will be praised for its civilised, cultured, sophisticated sound and will be awashed with stars...

Did it pass their Dark Knght Soundtrack test?..

https://www.google.co.uk/#fp=e4900a8228d3a2c&q=whathifi.com+review+dark+knight+soundtrack+

(Get a new disk guys.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts