Yamaha - 5 star products, 0 star delivery

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well they've pledged not to put the price of the Award winners up from the prices we reviewed them at (so that's £600 for the 863). As for availability, last I heard was that they were awaiting fresh stocks but Chinese New Year was slowing things down a tad (factories/distribution centres close down for a week or so - like us at Xmas).

I'll see if I can get any further update

A

Anonymous

Not sure if this should be posted here but for all those poor souls looking for retailers that actually have any Yamaha amps at the mo rejoice...Musicraft say they have some! 01332 346284,07727 272443, info@musicraft.co.uk

Run like the wind!!!
emotion-2.gif

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
We had stock today - it is all gone - but it is a start. We should see more regular deliveries resume now with only the 1900 being in really short supply. I imagine a lot of people who have been waiting will be getting calls from their dealers today/tomorrow.

Nick

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Nick - I keep meaning to say, please feel free to put a contact number or weblink in your signature. Least we can do given the sensible advice you offer here...

A

Anonymous

TheHomeCinemaCentre:

We should see more regular deliveries resume now with only the 1900 being in really short supply.

Anyone want to guess what I ordered before Christmas???

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Nick - I keep meaning to say, please feel free to put a contact number or weblink in your signature. Least we can do given the sensible advice you offer here...

Will do Andrew - didnt want to presume that was ok.

Nick

A

Anonymous

Placed an order with Super-fi for a 763 in early January and it arrived two weeks later. They didn't take payment until they had the stock in. Problem? What problem? I think we're too used to instant gratification these days ( though some of the previous posters have waited an inordinately long time . . .). Communication is key, and patience a virtue if you're after something you really want - will the congregation now be seated . . .

A

Anonymous

Seems like some models may be filtering through... but I'm still waiting on my RX-V1900, ordered on 22nd Dec...6 weeks on Monday.

I've checked again with the dealer (notice I had to contact them, not the other way round) and the story is still the same as last week, and the week before, and the week before, etc. They are still saying Yamaha are telling them 4-6 weeks from now

Has anyone ordered and received an RX-V1900 since Christmas???

A

Anonymous

My personal opinion , and it is just that , is Yamaha built both the 763 and 863 to hit certain price points , however when these amps were launched it was obvious that they were under specified / overpriced verses their competitors . They therefore made a decision to reduce the price by 25% to make both models more competitve hoping that they could sell through quickly the stock they had and then plan to come back with a stronger range early in 2009.What they didn`t expect is for you guys to feel sorry for them ( joke !) and give them 5 stars on every product they gave to you for review . So now Yamaha have a problem of increased demand for products that were basically reduced in price to clear out .If they make any more to sell at the cheaper price then they are possibly either making no money or actually losing money on them .This would explain why there has been / is so little stock being made available .I might be wrong , but I have also heard that there is a new range just around the corner !

A

Anonymous

Fat Spanish Waiter:My personal opinion , and it is just that , is Yamaha built both the 763 and 863 to hit certain price points , however when these amps were launched it was obvious that they were under specified / overpriced verses their competitors . They therefore made a decision to reduce the price by 25% to make both models more competitve hoping that they could sell through quickly the stock they had and then plan to come back with a stronger range early in 2009.What they didn`t expect is for you guys to feel sorry for them ( joke !) and give them 5 stars on every product they gave to you for review . So now Yamaha have a problem of increased demand for products that were basically reduced in price to clear out .If they make any more to sell at the cheaper price then they are possibly either making no money or actually losing money on them .This would explain why there has been / is so little stock being made available .I might be wrong , but I have also heard that there is a new range just around the corner !

That tallies with what I was told by sales guys before christmas. The pricing bit anyway...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Apart from Sony with the PS3 of course - but then it's in it for the long haul with software sales/licensing etc. The hardware-only guys need to turn a profit on their boxes...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:I very much doubt that any manufacturer/distributor is selling products at a loss.

I agree , and the best way to ensure this doesn`t happen ? - Don`t bring any stock in !

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Signor Waiter, i'm starting to find it rather fishy that the only posts you've made on these Forums(this website in general, in fact) are to a) bash Yamaha or b) promote Onkyo.

Anything to tell us?
emotion-40.gif
Of course it may be a total coincidence that someone of exactly the same name as you (from your email address you registered with) works for Onkyo
emotion-4.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Fat Spanish Waiter:I agree , and the best way to ensure this doesn`t happen ? - Don`t bring any stock in !

Another groundless insinuation.

Let's get a few things clear:

Most distributors of Japanese products - and here we're talking subsidiaries as well as independent distributors - have to submit a sales plan to the manufacturing company, showing how many of a product they want to order.

In the case of most products in the hi-fi/home cinema mass-market, this will have happened some time last summer, if not earlier.

Once that order is made, the manufacturer slots this into its production schedule, and the products are made.

Most manufacturers don't have dedicated lines making a single product non-stop: a production line will run for a set time making a particular product, and when the requisite number of products have been made, it will be switched to building something else.

If there is unprecedented demand for a product, it's not just a matter of hitting the go button and they start pouring off the line, into boxes and onto the boat: manufacturers will have to order in components - everything from the smallest electrical components to the likes of casework mouldings and pressings - from outside suppliers. They must then juggle production schedules to slot in manufacture of the required products between whatever the production lines are actually supposed to be making at the moment.

As has been mentioned several times, there was a change of company and management in Yamaha's UK organisation last summer, bringing Yamaha Music and the audio/home cinema products under one roof.

The product planning for the current models had been done before the change, and so the new operation inherited the orders and pricing structure set by the old. It then decided to revise prices on some products to make them more competitive in order to sell the quantities it had on the order books.

However, demand for the new products took off in a way not imagined by the original product planning people, hence the shortages.

The 'halo effect' of the Awards won by some models has also re-awakened interest in other models in the range, which have also seen increases in demand.

The factories aren't just making products for the UK: they're making them for the whole world. And given that the 763 and 863SE models are UK-only models, it's not just a case of shifting stock intended for somewhere else in Europe.

Think that's about it...

A

Anonymous

haha.. looks like someone got caught !!!

I am sure Yamaha is trying their best right now. I am pretty sure that someone in Yamaha Japan is aware they are losing money in the UK because of the supply probs, and putting pressure on.

I have been waiting for my Z7 unit for a bit over 2 weeks now, and my dealer was kind enough to lend me a Onkyo 505 as a gap unit. This is definitely not the same price point as the Z7, but that will further illustrate the "you get what you pay for" scenario as soon as I plug my Z7.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
EMSKY1:haha.. looks like someone got caught !!!

Wish we found it as funny as you clearly do.

Actually this is not that funny, and the WHF team reaction is the correct one. This is indeed not an amusing situation! Please accept my apologies

TRENDING THREADS