Proac Studio 140 Mk2 - 5-Star Keepers?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Well, you could have knocked me down with a feather!

Last Friday I took delivery of a pair of Proac Studio 140 Mk2 speakers (demo pair on home approval) - something I had intended a while before the the recent WHF 5-star review. I managed to find time on Saturday to set them up and give them a bit of a listen whilst Herself was out at the hairdressers. This amounted to approx 2 hours of listening and fiddling time. Whilst possibly not optimised in terms of positioning and such, there is a definite sonic lift in all departments - they take the Spendor S3e qualities I enjoy and enhance them to produce a sound I am really liking.

Then, yesterday evening, while we awaited the arrival of a couple of friends, I fired the system up (at what is normally around Sound Police friendly levels). As usual, when she came into the room, she wanted it turned down a notch or two. But I wasn't bothered - we were going out and I just wanted her to get accustomed to the new beasties.

Whilst out, our friends queried why I was splashing the cash on new speakers: what would these new ones bring? I began to explain. I was interrupted. The Sound Police interjected: "Oh, they're much clearer, even at lower volumes." Blimey!

OK, so she is not keen on the looks. They're bigger than she expected and those big black circles are going to take some getting used to, although apparently the cherry wood blends in nicely with the décor. Would a darker, mahogany finish be better? Seemingly not, she is willing to get used to the current finish and she says they're better than the Spendors. Well, who am I to argue? [;)]

This evening, with any luck I will be able to put them through their paces some more. I have to admit that the sound is going to take some getting used to. Although the clarity and detail are enhanced slightly, and there is a greater sense of space, depth and size of sound-stage, the bass weight is a bit of a shock. It's more controlled, less muddy and closed in, but on Saturday morning I could actually feel bass notes. They weren't coming through the floor either - I checked!

Unfortunately, I can't site the speakers as recommended (50cm from the walls), but have isolated them from the wooden floor. I didn't fit the spikes, but am experimenting with half squash balls onto ice hockey pucks and thence onto granite chopping boards direct onto carpet. This seems to isolate the speakers quite well, though I need to try out different combinations (without doing myself a mischief!) The advantage of the chopping boards is that I can slide them, with a bit of effort, out from the wall to give the speakers some room to breathe when Herself is out. The bass is certainly not too boomy when closer in to the walls, but I believe I detected some improvement in overall balance when I did move them further into the room.

I have a feeling these may be ‘keepers'. The Spendors definitely seem more closed in and restrictive of the music by comparison. I think they will shortly be departing for pastures new.

Oh, and the ferrets don't seem able to squeeze underneath to investigate the downward firing port - result! [:D]

I will probably report further later this week.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I can understand your enthusiasm for the beauties (well to the ears anyway). My Studio 140's have just been given a new lease of life with the addition of Cyrus amplification. When I think I got the Mk1's for £800 secondhand, it's a hell of a lot of speaker for the money. I guess the Mk2's can only improve on that! Hail Proac.

Like you, mine are close to a rear wall, although it doesn't seem to be a problem with the downward firing port. If your ferrets can't get underneath, it may be that you didn't have them raised high enough above floor level. Perhaps give Proac a ring to see what the recommended height above floor level is, from memory it was quite high.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Beauty is very much in the eye (and ear) of the beholder.
emotion-1.gif

I happen to be rather conservative in my approach, such that I really don't hold with these more 'stylish' speakers and such with pods and other weirdness going on. If a speaker is finished such that it does not look as though it has been knocked up in someone's garden shed with mismatched parts, then I am relatively happy (assuming it sounds good).

The Proacs may not exude style visually, but they are well-made, nicely finished and sound great - I'm happy. If the OH is happy to accept them, all is well.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Nice story and good to hear of another happy ProAc customer. I use D18s (in mahogany) and they are by far the best speakers for the money that I've ever heard.

Just curious though - why not fit the spikes that ProAc provide instead of squash balls onto hockey pucks onto granite chopping boards?

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Good to hear another person has succumbed to the beauty (physically and sound) of ProAc :). I got my D18s a few weeks back and just keep falling in love with it over and over again.

I am sure it will give you many years of pleasure.

El Hefe:Good to hear another person has succumbed to the beauty (physically and sound) of ProAc :). I got my D18s a few weeks back and just keep falling in love with it over and over again. I am sure it will give you many years of pleasure.

Yup, it's a lovely feeling when everything comes together - something to be proud of regardless of make or brand.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:

El Hefe:Good to hear another person has succumbed to the beauty (physically and sound) of ProAc :). I got my D18s a few weeks back and just keep falling in love with it over and over again. I am sure it will give you many years of pleasure.

Yup, it's a lovely feeling when everything comes together - something to be proud of regardless of make or brand.

Well said, PP.
emotion-21.gif

Regarding the spikes thing - I will try them at some point, but received wisdom is that floorstanders coupled to a suspended wooden floor over a void are likely to cause a 'boomy' bass. That is something I do not want. I took the squash balls out of the equation last night, leaving the speakers to stand on the rubberised hockey pucks on the chopping boards. If there is a difference it is not huge, but I think I prefer the sound. Maybe too much de-coupling from the surroundings can be a negative thing. The pucks provide a good, stable vibration-reducing interface with the solid granite boards (which, incidentally, could almost be made for the 140s).

At present I am seriously tempted to go ahead and do the swap out: 'bye-bye' to the Spendors, and exchange the shop demo Proacs for some nice, new shiny models of my own. As I said, the Proacs seem to take what I like from the Spendors and improve in all departments. The sense of space is greater, there is even more clarity and detail (yes, there is the danger of brightness with some combinations of kit), and both voices and instruments gain extra weight and body. Not only that, but the Proacs don't need the ampification to be cranked up quite so high to get a decent sound quality.

A note of cautious approval from all the females in the house is pure bonus.
emotion-1.gif
The ferrets have investigated the new arrivals quite thoroughly, failed to find any viable openings, and now dismissed them as 'boring' and not worth interfering with.

Yesterday evening I returned home from work to hear someone in the living room, speaking to the OH. It turned out to be the recording she and a friend made of the script for the latest play she is involved with...and she was actually on the phone to someone else!
emotion-2.gif
That;s some decent sound reproduction.

Of course, I now have play with my toys a bit more - do the different speaker cables I still have make any difference? There's always the lure of those 4 binding posts per speaker...

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Firstly, allow me to express my apologies to both Music Matters in Edgbaston and also to Frank Harvey in Coventry, both of whom extended a warm welcome and suffered my taste in music as I auditioned speakers at their premises. Your time and advice was much appreciated and I feel a bit guilty for going elsewhere at the last.

Today I became proud owner of the ProAcs, having given the credit card a thorough battering yet again. In the end, despite my plans to spread the cost over 10 months (interest free, naturally) AudioAffair made me a Buy It Now offer I could not resist. Rather than go through the hassle of returning the demo speakers (which, in their boxes, only just fit in the back of my Peugeot 206 with much grunting and puffing) and taking delivery of a shiny new pair, I was offered £350 off the demo pair. Seemed a good deal so I took it.

So, no going back, they're mine to keep. Now all I have to do is sell the Spendors (and other bits) to offset the cost. The OH and the furry critters will just have to get used to them now. Oh, and I must remember that the neighbours are back from their extended holidays!
emotion-5.gif

Theoretically, that's it. Aside from minor tweaks, the upgrade path has come to an end...for now. I can't think of anything else to do, unless it's add a second amp. But that's for another year. Honest.

TRENDING THREADS