xlr problem...fixed.thanks.

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
hi all,any help would be great....i have a marantz network player connected to my primare amp with phono cables,i bought a new bel canto dac and wanted to test it with the marantz.i connected a digital spdif optical(the only dig output) to my bel canto and because there are no more phono inputs i tried xlr.i bought a pair from amazon,not the dearest but also not the cheapest,and connected the bel canto with xlrs to my primare and i am getting no sound from the amp.i plugged in a pair of headphone and i am getting sound out so the optical is working.i checked that the button on the back of the bel canto is in the fixed position and i tested the xlr cable for continuity.anyone see anything i'm missing.its the first time i have used xlr so i am at a loss.cheers.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
But did you switch over the inputs on the primare amp to XLR.

If you did, then my thinking would be as follows :

On my parasound amp, pair 5 of RCA in's are shared with the XLR in's. And the RCA's take precedence over the XLR. So when connecting XLR to my amp, I have to disconnect the 5th pair of RCA in's. Maybe it could be something similar with your amp.

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
i have checked the primare a 30.1 manual and it does not say anything about that phono and xlr input setting.thanks anyway.

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
yes.thanks.made sure of that.will try the phono out of bel canto into one of the used phono inputs as well just to rule out that as well,but i need to get the xlr's sorted.cheers.

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
i might try disconnecting the phono cables one at a time and check the xlr's.will be a bit of a pain if it is as i needed all four phono's.thanks.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I know you said you checked the manual but as comments already said, I’d be very surprised if no switching between xlr and rca. Phone the manufacturer of the amp just to check would be my advice . Also check if the dac has switchable xlr or rca outputs to the amp.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Can you describe exactly what you have with what’s going into what sockets with what wires, as well as all sources eg CD player. I’m just thinking you might be running two sets of outputs which might be confusing electronics.

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
the primare has 4 inputs.i have a turntable,a cd player,a tuner and the network player connected.are you saying that maybe because i have the network player connected both with phono and xlr thats my problem.the reason i left both connected is i wanted to a/b the internal dac with the bel canto and the xlr's.and also the bel canto does not do dsd and i have some dsd audio.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

bonenut said:
the primare has 4 inputs.i have a turntable,a cd player,a tuner and the network player connected.are you saying that maybe because i have the network player connected both with phono and xlr thats my problem.the reason i left both connected is i wanted to a/b the internal dac with the bel canto and the xlr's.and also the bel canto does not do dsd and i have some dsd audio.

quite possibly, but I’m still not sure how you are connecting it all up..... Can you please say clearly ‘cd player - digital out using coaxial, to amp digital in’, etc. Also if you state the make and model number etc of each component I’m sure people would look up the manuals for you. I’d hazard a geuss it’s either input or output switching or dual connections as I say.

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
nothing wrong with basic my friend,its usually the solution.i actually have not tried the other inputs,i will try them as well.cheers.

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
the four inputs i listed cd(primare dvd 26)tuner(primate t20) marantz na 6005 and clearaudio emotion turntable are all connected to the amp with phono cables.and the amp is primare a 30.1 mark 2 i think(it has the three feet instead of the four)

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
yes.it has pre outs.must be mark 2 then.cheers......thanks,it sounds good alright.pairing it between a pair of pmc twenty 21's and a pair of atc scm 7's.....the atc scm 7's win every day of the week.best speakers i have ever owned.gonna sell the pmc's and get a pair of atc scm' 11's.

insider9

It should have no problem with max 40 amps of current. As long as your room can take it I'd definitely say give them a home demo at least.

Another thing I could suggest is maybe set Bel Canto to variable output and see if it makes a difference. Not sure why it would but I'd try every combination until I get it working. If all else fails you if try a different balance source to rule out amp fault. Although it shouldn't be difficult if it's the amp as they still get serviced by Primare authorised centre in York.

insider9

The variable can only output max what fixed gives as standard. It's not a risk but would help understand whether there is an issue somewhere down the line.

I'd also check all connections again.

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
tried a few things there.plugged the xlr's into input one instead of input two and could hear it through the speakers but very faint,unplugged the phono outputs of the network player and could hear nothing at all.then plugged the phono's back in and was back to square one with no sound on the xlr's.then i unplugged all other phono's from the other equipment leaving just the xlr's as the only input into the amp and still nothing.

bonenut said:
tried a few things there.plugged the xlr's into input one instead of input two and could hear it through the speakers but very faint,unplugged the phono outputs of the network player and could hear nothing at all.then plugged the phono's back in and was back to square one with no sound on the xlr's.then i unplugged all other phono's from the other equipment leaving just the xlr's as the only input into the amp and still nothing.

To rule out the xlr cables can you run phono from the DAC and see if they work?

TRENDING THREADS