xlr problem...fixed.thanks.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Should you not be connecting the DAC to phono as digital will have been converted? Disconnect Marantz network player from amp, connect to DAC then to phono on amp.

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
I will try phono cables tonight when I get home to rule out the xlr cables.

i have the network player connected both ways, with the internal marantz dac to amp with phono.. now I want to connect an external dac with the optical and xlr. Cheers.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
bonenut said:

i have the network player connected both ways, with the internal marantz dac to amp with phono.. now I want to connect an external dac with the optical and xlr. Cheers.

But DAC has converted digital to analogue, I don't see why you are trying to connect to digital, you need to connect to phono. So you should be going digital out to DAC then phono to amp.

insider9

BigH said:
bonenut said:

But DAC has converted digital to analogue, I don't see why you are trying to connect to digital, you need to connect to phono. So you should be going digital out to DAC then phono to amp.
My understanding is OP is outputing digital to DAC and balanced analogue from DAC to amp. He has quite a lot of RCA inputs in use already, not sure if any are left. Can't really blame him. Why wouldn't you used XLRs with a fully balanced amp like Primare?

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi. I wanted to a/b the sound of internal vs external dac and see what the results were,and see if it was worthwhile using the external dac. Also the bel canto would have a much better headphone amp on board vs the marantz. Can you see what I am trying to achieve. Cheers.

insider9

bonenut said:
Hi. I wanted to a/b the sound of internal vs external dac and see what the results were,and see if it was worthwhile using the external dac. Also the bel canto would have a much better headphone amp on board vs the marantz. Can you see what I am trying to achieve. Cheers.
It's going to be difficult without matching volume. Balanced on Bel Canto is 6dB louder than unbalanced.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Not sure but if he is trying to feed analogue into digital input he will not get any sound. If he plugs it into the phono input then we will see what happens. This is so easy jusy unplug the network player from the amp and plug in the DAC.

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
BigH said:
Not sure but if he is trying to feed analogue into digital input he will not get any sound. If he plugs it into the phono input then we will see what happens. This is so easy jusy unplug the network player from the amp and plug in the DAC.

I am outputting a digital signal from the marantz to the bel canto and then using xlr( analog) from the bel canto to the primare.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
OK not familar with your amp. But what are you plugging it into? Phono or digital input? If you are not getting any sound this could be the problem. If you want to compare sound then just use 2 different phono inputs.

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
BigH said:
OK not familar with your amp. But what are you plugging it into? Phono or digital input? If you are not getting any sound this could be the problem. If you want to compare sound then just use 2 different phono inputs.

Hi. It’s a primare a 30.1 . It has four phono’s Which I am using already. The only inputs left are two sets of analog xlr inputs. The bel canto dac has phono and xlr outputs so that’s why I tried the xlr. The amp has no digital inputs. Cheers.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
any of your setup but I'm 100% sure the DAC will have to be set to XLR out. I had the same sort of problem using my DEQ and it drove me nuts as I'd switched it by accident.

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Yes. I can. But as I said they are all been used and also I would like to solve this problem and educate myself on xlr connections.cheers.

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
newlash09 said:
paulkebab said:
any of your setup but I'm 100% sure the DAC will have to be set to XLR out. I had the same sort of problem using my DEQ and it drove me nuts as I'd switched it by accident.

just looked that up and the dac can output both xlr and phono at the same time and drive two separate inputs. Good to know. So there is no switch I presume. Cheers.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Is there anyway of testing the XLR cable ? So try connecting amplifier to CD player if it’s got a XLR input and see if you get sound

as some XLR cables are wired differently because on my amplifier I can change the hot pin selection and reverse faze

bonenut

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Pity there is not xlr on the cd/dvd player. At this stage I really think it’s the cable.mind you it’s new and it bells out on my multi meter. Just realized that I have a microphone xlr at home so I am going to try that out when I get home to see if I can get sound out on one channel and see if it’s the cable.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
that mic cable will work actually like the XLR cable you have just brought as long as it’s got a male end and a female end it will work in fact what I’ve got is made out of mic cable and it sounds good. .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts