Xbox 360 optical cable anyone? Prof Hat can you give any advice?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all, please make a reply if you have any thoughts on the following.

Prof I know you use the 360 with component so any advice form you would be particularly appreciated.....

Pana 37 Px80b is getting picked up tomorrow, component cable has been ordered for my 360 (no HDMI as I don't have an elite). I am having to hold off getting surround for now while I gather the funds and find time to audition soundbars and the Q AVs with various receivers.

I have been told that while I wait for a surround option to get the best sound out of my 360 direct through the TV I may want to connect an optical cable as the component won't carry the audio... is this correct? Does anyone on here use component + optical?

V+ box is arriving on the 7th Jan and I'm presuming this will come with HDMI meaning no extra cables will be required. Is that right too?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide, I'm much looking forward to my improved gaming experience and improvement in TV quality on the few HD channels available on V+.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Component only carries the video signal. You need an optical cable to get the 5.1 Digital Surround out of the 360 even if you are using HDMI.

Where are you plugging the sound into? If it's the TV then there'll be phono plugs on the 360 component cable which will carry the sound for you. I'd use optical on your setup if your TV supports an optical in or if you are using a separate amp. Otherwise the cable will do everything you need.

A

Anonymous

I am planning to get the pana 37px80b, I have it ordered in to my local richer sounds sos hould come soon. Xbox will be going direct to TV for time being so I will need to check if it has an optical in. If it does then do I need the optical plus the component or will the component alone do?

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Just use the component cable and plug the red and white connectors into the audio in jacks on the back of the TV. Get optical when you buy your amplifier.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Been away for Christmas, but yes, as advised above, use the standard RCA phono cables (red and white plugs) on the component cable into the TV until you get an AV receiver, then use optical to get Dolby Digital sound.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice guys, I cannot get an AV amp and speakers just now so I will hold off from the optical cable for now until I can get an AV amp and a 5.1 speaker set up.

In the meantime I think I will try to boost the TV's sound by using my existing hifi amp and speakers to get decent stereo sound out of both my virgin box and the xbox. If I need any help with that then no doubt I will be back on asking more questions, hopefully I can manage that myself!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts