xbmc problems

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i want to add my own thumbnails an this be done it its not picking up any music concert dvds or tv series that are not made in usa. i know its wrong but i have about 90 dvds and i want them up in the loft to make room for blu rays ect im making vob files of the lot.

any help on getting dvd artwork would be great many thanks

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
smuggs said:
i want to add my own thumbnails an this be done it its not picking up any music concert dvds or tv series that are not made in usa. i know its wrong but i have about 90 dvds and i want them up in the loft to make room for blu rays ect im making vob files of the lot.

any help on getting dvd artwork would be great many thanks
I use the Aeon skin and it's easy. If the imdb scraper doesn't pick up what you need just copy an image from Amazon or similar. Right click on the item and select movie information. You should then see the option to search for thumbnail and fanart.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
thanks i can see remote thumb i just need to figure how to get my thumbnails of the net off the net onto one of them remote skin slots

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
it wont let me get movie infomation until imdb has found some ref. then i can swap which is brill thanks. but how do i delete the plot and trailer.

plus how does the smart phone remote work i have tried following the xbmc site and forum and still no joy.

plus just throwing one out there but my laptop is 18months old with only dvd drive if it became allowed to back you blu rays up would my laptop read an external usb blu ray player to copy the file with the right sofware.

next question i would like to get my stuff on a nas and have a media player like the ps3 or xbox360 hdmi to amp which can handle full dvd vob copys and allows cover art ect is there a such a unit out there or even better is there a unit which pxbmc is installed or can be and willl play 1080p 5.1 truehd ect once storage is cheaper.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
smuggs said:
it wont let me get movie infomation until imdb has found some ref. then i can swap which is brill thanks. but how do i delete the plot and trailer.

Always ensure your movies are named correctly with the year if it is a remake for example. I'm pretty sure you can refresh an individual movie from within 'Move Information'.

smuggs said:
plus how does the smart phone remote work i have tried following the xbmc site and forum and still no joy.

What exactly are you struggling with? I have installed the app on my Android phone and also XBMC Commander on my iPhone. It's usually the firewall or the IP settings.

1. Ensure that the port that is entered in XBMC's networking is allowed in your firewall

2. Ensure that 'Allow Control of XBMC via HTTP' is enabled (System > Network)

3. Ensure that 'Allow programs on other system to control XBMC' is enabled (System > Network)

smuggs said:
plus just throwing one out there but my laptop is 18months old with only dvd drive if it became allowed to back you blu rays up would my laptop read an external usb blu ray player to copy the file with the right sofware.

There is software out there that will do it. Google is your friend.

smuggs said:
next question i would like to get my stuff on a nas and have a media player like the ps3 or xbox360 hdmi to amp which can handle full dvd vob copys and allows cover art ect is there a such a unit out there or even better is there a unit which pxbmc is installed or can be and willl play 1080p 5.1 truehd ect once storage is cheaper.

I don't think you'll find anything out there that looks as good as XBMC. I use it on all my computers (both Windows/Mac OSX). I don't think XBMC can handle HD audio but it's probably coming.

Why not just build a small PC that can do it? With XBMC and TMT5 installed you should be able to play anything. The HP Proliant Server could act as a home cinema PC too with a decent graphics card and RAM installed. It is usually available with £100 cashback.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
thanks for advise i spent £450 on a accer 7540 laptop 19months ago but has only a dvd drive now i really want to rip some bluray in vob loseless files only a few classics where the picture and sound are good example dark knight. Thats problem 1 is i know my laptop may not be good enough to play them without lag but what i really is the laptop to be able to read the info of the disc off an external blu ray drive and with the right software make the copy then put the file s onto a nas/external harddrive and have a media player hdmi to my amp that can stream the 1080p file off the nas all hard wired of coures so thats the 2 problem.

was hoping £100 external bluray

£50 software

£100 media player like a apple tv but something that will play bluray vob files and handle hd audio with 1080p picture and have hdmi out.

this is all if we get the go ahead to make backups of our owned media which seems to be the word on the streets that it may happen soon

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Quite a number of bluray discs come with digital copies for your own use. There is software available for backing up your discs.

You don't really need a particularly powerful PC for media playback.

I must admit I haven't heard about any change regarding backing up your own media. All the talk at the moment is about the SOPA bill etc. Megaupload was shut down today, so I would say that it's probably the last thing on their minds....

indyjase

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I use boxee which is xbmc underneath but way easier and prettier IMO. I can play DDTrueHD and DTS-MA that have been backedup no problem. Google search for bitsreaming windows 7 with HTPC. There are a couple of little tweaks you have to do but following the directions is not too bad. I Tried TMT5 and Powerdvd 11 and both of them had there flaws but using windows classic media player with a few tweaks plays everything and no more annoying disk loading times either!

indyjase

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I use boxee which is xbmc underneath but way easier and prettier IMO. I can play DDTrueHD and DTS-MA that have been backedup no problem. Google search for bitsreaming windows 7 with HTPC. There are a couple of little tweaks you have to do but following the directions is not too bad. I Tried TMT5 and Powerdvd 11 and both of them had there flaws but using windows classic media player with a few tweaks plays everything and no more annoying disk loading times either!

TRENDING THREADS