Would you say the older Pioneer amps still rule the roost at £1500-£2000 mark?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Even though you can only get them second hand now if you are lucky, does Pioneer still rule? Check out my amps Pioneer sc-lx81 amp review:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/receivers/pioneer-sc-lx81-532595/review

I only want 5.1 setup and it certainly matches my speakers.

D

Deleted member 2457

CnoEvil said:
Not if you prefer Arcam.
Ah. Yes Arcam does get the praise a lot now a days especially with Dirac. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
Even though you can only get them second hand now if you are lucky, does Pioneer still rule? Check out my amps Pioneer sc-lx81 amp review:

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/receivers/pioneer-sc-lx81-532595/review

I do love this review - quote the sound is more addictive than crack cocaine. Probably.
regular_smile.png
Its the sound I love too, but Yamaha 3060 demo didn’t get me addicted at all. Perhaps I should be looking at my speaker package than my amp upgrade wise? In this review it does say the amp can handle several big loudspeakers upgrades at least.

Sliced Bread

gel said:
gel said:

I do love this review - quote the sound is more addictive than crack cocaine. Probably. Its the sound I love too, but Yamaha 3060 demo didn’t get me addicted at all. Perhaps I should be looking at my speaker package than my amp upgrade wise? In this review it does say the amp can handle several big loudspeakers upgrades at least.

Maybe it is speaker synergy as you suggest.

My expereince with Pioneer was the LX87, which I had for quite a few years. It had superb vocal clarity and deep bass, but it really felt lacking on films orchestral scores, so I swapped it out for a Yamaha a3060 and loved it.

Orchestral scores had incredible impact, bass was more detialed. The opening music to Fantastic Beasts is something else..really cinematic. The soundstage was also much bigger with far better imaging. Even using just a 5.1 setup with the speakers drectly to my sides pointing about 2 foot in front of the listening position I now have sound comming from every angle (including right behind my head and all gaps between the speakers). It’s also good at making sounds appear as if they are in the far distance. It's an awesome machine. I would however still give the Pioneer the edge on dialogue though.

I'm using B&W CM series.

If there is one thing I think both could benefit from though and that is a better EQ system. Both machines took an age to get the right setup.

The LX87 is quite a bit newer than the LX81 so they probably sound quite different. LX87 was class D, but I *think* the LX81 was class A/B.

D

Deleted member 2457

spiny norman said:
The older Pioneer amps still rule the roost at £1500-£2000. That do you?

Happy to help.
Like a rat up a drainpipe.
regular_smile.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts