Would you buy a cartridge with discontinued and difficult to find stylii?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I am in a little conundrum about whether or not to buy a cartridge.

It was highly praised in its day and apparently is in tip top order with plenty of life left. Problem is, there is, I think, only one or two places that do replacement stylus for that model and the prices are not cheap to say the least. It is a Micro line so that goes some way towards explaining it.

To do or not to do ...

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I didn't really want to mention which one in case someone will snap it up but hey ... if they do, it would at least solve my problem :)

Its a Micro Acoustics 2002e. Would be perfect for my Thorens I think but I'm unsure as to whether this is a good move or not?

regards

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I was looking at the AT. Its not that much more than the Micro Acoustics.

I like a detailed and fast sound with good highs. Both cartridges will probably do that and it is one of the reasons I didn't like my new Shure M97.

So do you think the MA is worth a hundred pounds?

regards

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Never heard one. I have heard an AT440MLa and was most impressed.

My all time fave is the Goldring 1042 (had one for 11 years with two changes of stylus) but it's well over budget alas. (£250 ish)

For that sort of money I would buy it and run it until it drops. You might be surprised as to how long some of these things last, with care.
I have never heard one but you are correct in that it was highly regarded.
Worry about a replacement stylus/ replacement cartridge when the time comes.
If you don't you'll only regret it :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

I didn't buy it in the end but probably should have done. Instead got a lovely Pickering XV-15/757S. Next thing is the replacement for the SL-7. This turntable marlaky is starting to cost :)

Recently won a Creek 5350 but did something I never did before, chicken out of the sale (with the sellers permission I may add, which was very acommodating and helpful). The amplifier had apparently a mains hum problem on one channel. The seller tried to contact Superfi which was the Retailer but they couldn't match serial/number to sale and there was no receipt. - I am fairly handy with entertainment electronics but didn't fancy taking a pun at that price plus I am constantly in awe about my current amplifier which also has a, to my ears, superb, quiet phono stage.

So the quest for a replacement amplifier continues but there's no rush.

regards

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
drummerman said:
Recently won a Creek 5350 but did something I never did before, chicken out of the sale (with the sellers permission I may add, which was very acommodating and helpful). The amplifier had apparently a mains hum problem on one channel. The seller tried to contact Superfi which was the Retailer but they couldn't match serial/number to sale and there was no receipt. - I am fairly handy with entertainment electronics but didn't fancy taking a pun at that price plus I am constantly in awe about my current amplifier which also has a, to my ears, superb, quiet phono stage.

So the quest for a replacement amplifier continues but there's no rush.

regards

That's a pity as I think you would have enjoyed it. I must confess I read the description of that 5350 and the seller, quite rightly and honourably, had mentioned the hum, and I wondered whether I would have taken a punt on something with a fault.

Can I ask, if you are in awe of your current amp, why are you looking to replace it?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just the curiosity for better. I figured the creek may have given me that though I have to admit, I am not sure hence me pulling out (that and the fault which would have probably been rectifiable but at extra expense in the event that I couldn't have fixed it.

Yes, the seller was very honest. I saw the amp with a few minutes to go and didn't think it through ... not something I usually do.

regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts