Would this be Better????

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
No you don't need spacers to change a cart. Just make sure it's aligned correctly. You can dowmload and print a rega specific alignment gauge from vinylengine.

A

Anonymous

gpi said:
No you don't need spacers to change a cart. Just make sure it's aligned correctly. You can dowmload and print a rega specific alignment gauge from vinylengine.
You may need spacers, depending upon the height of the cartridge. You want the arm parallel with the record if possible.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash said:
You want the arm parallel with the record if possible.

Ah, well that depends on a fair bit of assumption dunnit. For instance taking it as a given that the stylus rake angle (vta) is **** on to the cart body for starters. In my experience most carts sound better a**e down *. Anyways as a starter go for parallel but judge it by the top of the cart / underside of the headshell. Or bottom of the cart if its a boxy design. Then fine tune it jase .

Good job you aint inheriting a sme jase cos getting a tapered armtube parallel is a bit tricky mate,lol
smiley-innocent.gif

*And a good many others think so anaw.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash said:
gpi said:
You may need spacers, depending upon the height of the cartridge. You want the arm parallel with the record if possible.

Well you spend your time doing that, I'll put a cart on and listen to records instead of listening to the hifi.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Jason, just thinking about your Rega Elys cart. It's not a bad cart and you'd probably need to go higher than the CA Aurum Classic or Goldring 1000 series to better it. As for mounting a different cart, yes they can vary in depth but not enough to worry about adding spacers. Have you ever raised the arm rear by 1 mm and heard a difference because I sure haven't?

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
gpi said:
Jason, just thinking about your Rega Elys cart. It's not a bad cart and you'd probably need to go higher than the CA Aurum Classic or Goldring 1000 series to better it. As for mounting a different cart, yes they can vary in depth but not enough to worry about adding spacers. Have you ever raised the arm rear by 1 mm and heard a difference because I sure haven't?

Seriously??

The Rega Elys2 can be bought for £115.00 as opposed to say the 1012GX at £170ish or 1042 at £224.00. Surely the Goldrings are better cartridges.

I have also seen that you can get complete arm rewires from the cartridge right through to the phono plugs.....would this upgrade improve the sound combined with an upgraded cartridge??

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Well after a bit of research I have found out that I can get the Goldring 2500 for just a tad over £200.00 :)

I think seeing as that is within my budget, its definately got to be worth the money.

So looks like decision has been made then :)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Do you like a lean sound jase? the 2500 is bright, mate. I know the reviews say it is the nuts, among the trade it's really seen as a dog. Try and find it's test graph on the t'interweb. wheres it should be a flat response across the frequencies, it has a big increase in the high frequencies. If you want a Goldring, the 1042 is much better. You can get the 1042 for £200 from Superfi.

I was going to buy the 2500 myself, until I spoke to three dealers and they all said the exact same thing.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
Do you like a lean sound jase? the 2500 is bright, mate. I know the reviews say it is the nuts, among the trade it's really seen as a dog. Try and find it's test graph on the t'interweb. wheres it should be a flat response across the frequencies, it has a big increase in the high frequencies. If you want a Goldring, the 1042 is much better. You can get the 1042 for £200 from Superfi.

I was going to buy the 2500 myself, until I spoke to three dealers and they all said the exact same thing.

Cheers Bretty,

I dont really want a bright cartridge, no.

I prefer a more rounded sound....solid bass (but not overpowering), excellent midrange (as I listen to more vocalised music) and strong (but not bright) high frequencies.

It sounds like the 1042 would be the better cartridge based on that then. I have seen it on Superfi for just shy of £200.00.

Would you look at second hand cartidges or am I best just to shell out for new and get the full life out of it?? I assume cartridges can be a bit of a risk buying second hand...theres one on Ebay at the moment at £40.00ish.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
personally, no I wouldn't go second hand. Ypu never really know what you're getting.

I'm seriously considering the 1042, myself. Me and you have similar tastes in music and I think it's gonna be a good fit for both of us. We need some bass slam for when we're grunging it up
smiley-smile.gif

I've just phoned my new guy for a price on the 1042. I'll let you know what he says: he's usually cheaper than the other places.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
personally, no I wouldn't go second hand. Ypu never really know what you're getting.

I'm seriously considering the 1042, myself. Me and you have similar tastes in music and I think it's gonna be a good fit for both of us. We need some bass slam for when we're grunging it up
smiley-smile.gif

I've just phoned my new guy for a price on the 1042. I'll let you know what he says: he's usually cheaper than the other places.

Yeah that's what I was thinking Bretty,

Last thing I need is a dud second hand cartidge bu***ring up my new Vinyl....or even my second hand vinyl too think about it.

Let us know what your chap says about the 1042....I think I'm gonna give that a shot :)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
He was a bit off the pace with his pricing: £215. Looks like Superfi is the cheapest, then.

Chears Bretty,

Looks like Superfi it is then. Also just as an aside You were using the Dennon DL103 on your RPM4 how did you find this? I have heard that the Dennon cartridges work well with the RB300 arm. Obviously the 103 would require a change of phono stage to a MM/MC, but I was thinking of that as the next upgrade anyway from my Goldring. Do you know how much of a stepup the 103 is from the 110?

Will be changing the cartridge over the next couple of months...but have decided to wait until I get my new ATC SCM11's in place before I upgrade either the cartridge or phono stage, so I can get used to the sound of the setup as a whole....hopefully I will then be able to gauge any real difference in sound with correct amplification, source and speakers.

When the SCM11's are burnt in should I look at changing the cartridge first then the phono stage.....or phono stage first then Cartridge.

Hopefully with the addition of the SCM11's, New Cartridge and Phono Stage.....that is my upgrade path complete and I can sit back and enjoy the music :)

A

Anonymous

I suspect young Bretty thinks this another "dog". However, for a more balanced view, google denon dl103 tnt.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash said:
I suspect young Bretty thinks this another "dog". However, for a more balanced view, google denon dl103 tnt.

My understanding is that Bretty loved the DL103 on the RPM4, it just wasnt right on the Michell and Technoarm (I believe because the Technoarm is a low mass tonearm)......The RB300 is a heavier tonearm and therefore if its anything like the 110, should be appropriate.

Just trying to get informative feedback on Dennon's.

I suppose the issue with cartridges is you never know until you buy it and its fitted and playing LP's....very rare you can demo a cartridge at this level :-(

A

Anonymous

Jason36 said:
Grottyash said:
... Just trying to get informative feedback on Dennon's.
That's why I suggested the google search...

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash said:
Jason36 said:
Grottyash said:
... Just trying to get informative feedback on Dennon's.
That's why I suggested the google search...

Thanks Grottyash, Overall reviews seem to say its a good cartridge with a flat response across the spectrum, although some sibilance (sp?) on occasions on the RB300 arm. hmmm not sure whether it would be better or as good as the 1042 though. Shame I cant get a demo of the Goldring 2500 to see for my own ears how that sounds.

The Dennon 103 can be had for just over £100 so probably not as good as the Goldring 1042 or 2500. Grrrr decisions / decisions

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Grottyash said:

smiley-laughing.gif
Ok, you've made your point, Grot. Let it go, now mate. The anger can't be doing your blood pressure any good
smiley-smile.gif
I hereby fully retract all statements made on the 31st march, regarding the Goldring 2500. I realise now that I not only hurt the cartridge, but the feelings of the cartridges' family. I now wish to be given the space to deal with the guilt that lays heavy upon my heart.

Jase, I didn't have the Denon on the RPM4. I had a woeful Ortofon to start with, and then replaced it with the Shure. I don't think MC's are for me, mate, at least not the cheaper ones like my Denon. It's just too weedy with rock, and i'm listening to more of it these days, so it aint gonna work for me. It might be ok in a warmer system. My Exposures are pretty neutral and my speakers are studio monitors that add very little colouration.

Now that we're FaceBook buddies (you were like Columbo tracking me down
smiley-tongue-out.gif
. The only info I gave out here was my full name and what my profile pic is of. Dunno how you found me from those tiny nuggets
smiley-laughing.gif
) I have a super duper offer for ya. If you want to try the Denon out for yourself, you can have mine, for nada, zip, zilch, diddly squat and b*gger all. Just pay the postage and it's yours. If you want it, send me a msg on FB and we'll get it sorted.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
Grottyash said:

smiley-laughing.gif
Ok, you've made your point, Grot. Let it go, now mate. The anger can't be doing your blood pressure any good
smiley-smile.gif
I hereby fully retract all statements made on the 31st march, regarding the Goldring 2500. I realise now that I not only hurt the cartridge, but the feelings of the cartridges' family. I now wish to be given the space to deal with the guilt that lays heavy upon my heart.

Jase, I didn't have the Denon on the RPM4. I had a woeful Ortofon to start with, and then replaced it with the Shure. I don't think MC's are for me, mate, at least not the cheaper ones like my Denon. It's just too weedy with rock, and i'm listening to more of it these days, so it aint gonna work for me. It might be ok in a warmer system. My Exposures are pretty neutral and my speakers are studio monitors that add very little colouration.

Now that we're FaceBook buddies (you were like Columbo tracking me down
smiley-tongue-out.gif
. The only info I gave out here was my full name and what my profile pic is of. Dunno how you found me from those tiny nuggets
smiley-laughing.gif
) I have a super duper offer for ya. If you want to try the Denon out for yourself, you can have mine, for nada, zip, zilch, diddly squat and b*gger all. Just pay the postage and it's yours. If you want it, send me a msg on FB and we'll get it sorted.

Ahhh I got the wrong end of the stick regarding the cartridges :)

Thats weird you thought that cos the review I read said that the Denon 103 was the original rock cartridge..maybe it needs a heavier arm to get the best out of it.

Message on facebook on its way to you matey :) that's a very good offer you made me there and at least I know I can trust the cartridge condition :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts