Would this be Better????

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys,

OK I have the opportunity of purchasing (if I would like it) a ClearAudio Emotion Turntable fitted with a Satisy Tonearm and Aurum Classic Wood MM Cartrdige (This is actually my uncle's turntable as he is upgrading to a Michell TT.

I know this is probably about 5 or 6 years old and has had very little use and is in excellent condition. Its been offered to me for £250.00 if I would like it. Bearing in mind I could probably get £150.00 at least for the Plannar 3 (which is in mint condition) it makes this sound like a very very attractive proposition....much to the annoyance of my other half :)

What would you guys think.......Would you recommend the Emotion gear?

Would I see a massive improvement over the Plannar 3??

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Think that answers my question then.....not sure what I was thinking when I wrote the post but its not 5 years old, its actually only about 12 to 18 months I believe.....so probably an even better bargain :) :)

Sounds like I would be a bit of a fool not to go for it then :)

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Think that answers my question then.....not sure what I was thinking when I wrote the post but its not 5 years old, its actually only about 12 to 18 months I believe.....so probably an even better bargain :) :) Sounds like I would be a bit of a fool not to go for it then :)

In that case you might want to start on the other arm as well!!! :bigsmile:

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Which Michell is your uncle buying?

I believe he's getting an Orb SE...not sure if its new or secondhand though...I sort if turned off when I heard Clearaudio Emotion and £250.00 :) :)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
The Clearaudio is a lovely looking bit of kit, Jase. Who's a lucky boy then?
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Obviously grab the Clearaudio, but you do need to upgrade the phono amp as Lost Angeles says. The Rega phono amps are good value, as are the Cambridge Audio ones, but, since you'll have a Clearaudio turntable, why not try one of theirs?

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
@

@ Bretty, Lost Angeles and Grotyash

Cheers guys, I gathered the Goldring wouldnt be up to par...and believe I may also need some better interconnects rather than the Quenex I have. Hmmmm cant complain I suppose not with the bargain on the TT and what I can hopefully get back for the Rega Planar 3.

What sort of price should I realistically be looking at for Phono Stage, bearing in mind I believe the Emotion is probably about a grand new? At least it has a decent cartridge (Clearaudio Aurum Wood), well I hope it is :)

So choices on Phono Amp are....Rega / CA / Clearaudio....is it also worth looking at Graham Slee and Dino?

A

Anonymous

Definitely the Trichord. The Lehmann Black Cube is also good. Can't comment on the Graham Slee preamps, because I've never heard them.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Jase. Dont dive in re the phono stage just yet. Wait until you get the Emo set up and run it for a while with the gear you have now. Its going to sound different to the Rega for starters, obviously. Once yer lugholes have got used to the new sound, then beg steal or borrow a few phonos. Some dealers will send you one out to dem, but its a case of phoning around. Im not knocking the phonos that have been suggested but the phono plays a bigger part in how the vinyl replay comes across more than you may think. So until you try a few,how do you know which sound portrayal you prefer ?. The Emo certainly deserves better than the Rega or Cambridge for sure, good as they are at their price point.

Also remember,if funds allow,that one day you may want to move up to buying a moving coil cart . Therefore if you buy a mm only phono you will be snookered.

And for gods sake dont rule out valve jobbies.

Whats your budget ?. Obviously i will stretch it, ask bretts
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Just noticed you are waiting on new speakers anaw. I rest my case.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hahaha you guys make me laugh!!!

Well as it happens the sale of his Michell has fallen through, so he is holding on to the Clearaudio :-(

So I think I am going to stick with the Rega for now, but would like to upgrade the cartridge. with up to £200.00 to spend I have the following choices so far:

AT440MLa

2M Blue

Clearaudio Aurum Classic Wood

Goldring 2100

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Hahaha you guys make me laugh!!! Well as it happens the sale of his Michell has fallen through, so he is holding on to the Clearaudio :-( So I think I am going to stick with the Rega for now, but would like to upgrade the cartridge. with up to £200.00 to spend I have the following choices so far: AT440MLa 2M Blue Clearaudio Aurum Classic Wood Goldring 2100

Hey buddy.

Bad news on the Clearaudio.

I would say avoid the Goldring 2000 series. Although certain reviews say that they have a full bodied sound, it's codswallop: they're really bright and nasty. However, their 1042 cart I've heard nothing but good things about. It can be had for £200 at SUPERFI

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
Jason36 said:
Hahaha you guys make me laugh!!! Well as it happens the sale of his Michell has fallen through, so he is holding on to the Clearaudio :-( So I think I am going to stick with the Rega for now, but would like to upgrade the cartridge. with up to £200.00 to spend I have the following choices so far: AT440MLa 2M Blue Clearaudio Aurum Classic Wood Goldring 2100

Hey buddy.

I would say avoid the Goldring 2000 series. Although certain reviews say that they have a full bodied sound, it's codswallop: they're really bright and nasty. However, their 1042 cart I've heard nothing but good things about. It can be had for £200 at SUPERFI

Thanks for that Bretty,

Do you know if I am likely to need any spacers on the Rega Planar 3 with that or should it fit as standard? Ideally dont want to start messing with having to fit spacers (although I'm sure it fairly easy to do)

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Jason36 said:
bretty said:
Jason36 said:

Hey buddy.

Thanks for that Bretty, Do you know if I am likely to need any spacers on the Rega Planar 3 with that or should it fit as standard? Ideally dont want to start messing with having to fit spacers (although I'm sure it fairly easy to do)

Soz mate, I dunno bout that. FD, Mitch LA or one of the other more knowledgeable peeps will be able to fill you in, i'm sure.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
You can easily squeeze a lot more performance out of your Planar 3 and RB300. I don't think you've really heard its potential yet, it's a cracking deck and its age is irrelevant as long as it spins freely and accurately and the arm's bearings are in good fettle. I had a Planar 3/RB300/Goldring 1012GX combo and was delighted with it. It had the smaller counterweight, no other upgrades. I've also had a Clearaudio Aurum Classic MM cart and that's no slouch either.

Do you have the Rega on a wall shelf?

A

Anonymous

Bretty, you got this one wrong! I have a Goldring 2500 and it's easily the best I've ever had. Full bodied, dynamic, detailed, and with a big soundstage.
I have heard that it suits some arms better than others, but is a brilliant match with the REga arms.

Jason 36, sorry to hear the deal fell through - maybe next time.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
gpi said:
You can easily squeeze a lot more performance out of your Planar 3 and RB300. I don't think you've really heard its potential yet, it's a cracking deck and its age is irrelevant as long as it spins freely and accurately and the arm's bearings are in good fettle. I had a Planar 3/RB300/Goldring 1012GX combo and was delighted with it. It had the smaller counterweight, no other upgrades. I've also had a Clearaudio Aurum Classic MM cart and that's no slouch either.

Do you have the Rega on a wall shelf?

Hi gpi, No unfortunately due to space restrictions at the moment, the rega is situated on a solid shelf on which sits a glass shelf from my stored HiFi stand and the Rega sits on top of that. Not ideal I know, but unfortunately I have no space for my HiFi stand or Wall mount at the present time :-( My Rega is sounding better now but I am sure there is much more potential in there....I am also aware there's a plethora of Rega Upgrades (which may or may not be snake oil) i.e. New Subplatters, arm rewires, acrylic platters and mats etc etc etc. For the time being I want to upgrade the Cratridge as I am sure I can do much better for the money compared with the Elys2. Not looked at the Goldring 1012GX...so I will see what thats like and how much it retails for. I can get a Clearaudio Aurum Classics Wood V2A MM Cartridge for £158.00 and believe that is a really good cartridge.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash said:
Bretty, you got this one wrong! I have a Goldring 2500 and it's easily the best I've ever had. Full bodied, dynamic, detailed, and with a big soundstage. I have heard that it suits some arms better than others, but is a brilliant match with the REga arms. Jason 36, sorry to hear the deal fell through - maybe next time.

Thanks for that Grottyash...it was a shame but hey ho he has promised it to me when the opportunity arrises again...so for the time being I am going to try and get every ounce of performance I can out of the Rega.

So would you say that the Goldring 2100 / 2200 would be good cartridges for the Rega or should I look at more expensive cartridges like the 1042 or 1012 if my budget allows it?

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
If you have a solid floor it should be ok on the support it's on. I can't recommend the Goldrings enough, especially the 1012GX. It will cost you a little more than the budget Clearaudio (£170 from Superfi?) but once you have a body you have the option to upgrade the stylus to the 1042 later. I could quite happily live with a 1042 and don't forget, Goldring make carts for other brand names.

BTW, the upgrades for the Rega tts centre around the arm, specifically the counterweight. I can't recall any that are perceived as snake oil.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
gpi said:
If you have a solid floor it should be ok on the support it's on. I can't recommend the Goldrings enough, especially the 1012GX. It will cost you a little more than the budget Clearaudio (£170 from Superfi?) but once you have a body you have the option to upgrade the stylus to the 1042 later. I could quite happily live with a 1042 and don't forget, Goldring make carts for other brand names.

Yep it's a solid concrete floor and the shelf is built into a chimney breast (its very very solid).

Ok so that sound's like they would be good cartridges to look at then......

Anybody know if I need spacers on the RB300 arm or is it just a straight fit onto the arm?

A

Anonymous

I haven't heard the 1042 or 1012 so can't really comment. The 2x00 series are made for Goldring by Nagaoka, and are a bit fuller. The difference is the stylus - the 2300 has the Gyger stylus which some prefer to mine, so I'd be looking at that as the best option - about £160 online.

Not sure whether you'd need spacers, but if you do, a quick trip to B&Q should find the right sizes, and much cheaper than Rega's own.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts