would a separate DAC improve my system?

Bradley747

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi

lots of questions on my mind today!

Would a good quality "starter" DAC (MF V90 or ARCAM IRDAC) improve my system of Dali Kubik free & NAD 525cd player?

Generally enjoy tweaking here and there...

thanks

I'm assuming that you want to improve the s/q on the cd player and use that as a transport via optical or coaxial to a dac.I think you'd need to dem one of the dacs you mentioned and let your ears decide whether it's worth it or not.And even then I'd only recommend an external dac if you were planning to go down the well trodden upgrade path of separate components,I'm not familiar with the dali cubic free,but it seems to be a quality active speaker for it's price point.would a dac improve your system?yes,probably...but would it be £400 worth of improvement,considering the build cost at the moment,I doubt it.

Bradley747

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
appreciate the points raised and yes, I would use a DAC as an "upgrade" to the already good inbuilt dac in the Dali Kubik...

rather than feed the Kubik with the two digital sources (TV and CD player) as I do now, I would feed a seperate DAC and then use the RCA inputs on the speakers...

I would go down the used ebay route first so maybe worth a punt...

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't bother. Not likely to be a significant improvement or very much difference. If you can test with the option of returning the DAC it might be worthwhile to satisfy your curiosity.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it will bring you much! Mostly it is something different that needs improving in the sound. Another (outboard DAC) or cables, give mostly only very small changes, which will not necessary improve your sound.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
The dac is pretty good on the nad anyway.

Ive comparred £3000 cd players to £600 dacs and not heard a difference. If your looking for a different sound look at speakers and amps

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Bradley747 said:
Hi

lots of questions on my mind today!

Would a good quality "starter" DAC (MF V90 or ARCAM IRDAC) improve my system of Dali Kubik free & NAD 525cd player?

Generally enjoy tweaking here and there...

thanks
hi it has with me i just got myself the arcam dac and i think its inproved my setup but the salemen did say some people will not see much of a inprovement in diffreant setups but if you go to richer sounds you can try one and pay for 1 and your got 14 or so days to try one if you do not like it you just get your money back win win

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You have a compedent dac in your CD player and a pretty decent one in your Kubik free, (I have some experience with this speaker).

Compare the two, ie Nad via analogue vs Nad via optical. If you can carefully match the volumes, I would be surprised if there was much difference.

Worth trying, particularly the level matching thing, as it will give you an indication of just how similar two compedent budget dacs perform. Generally in such circumstances, the louder one will sound better. See if you can get hold of an spl meter (or smartphone app) and match the levels as closely as you can, it would be interesting what you can hear.

NS496

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't spend money on that. To my ears my almost 20 year old Rotel CD player sounds smoother via analogue outputs vs. hooked up via coaxial on up to date DAC in NAD.

Rater change speakers or add a sub (if it was me). Or experiment with vinyl.

TRENDING THREADS