Would a rega fono mm mk3 be a descent upgrade stage than my maranta pm6006

Snake charmer

Nov 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi all, I have a rega p2 with a pm6006 amp paired with q acoustics 3030i speakers…was wanting to upgrade the in built phono stage, as mostly listen to vinyl, to the rega ma mk3..would it make a considerable improvement? The p2 is fitted with a at vm95en cartridge. Would appreciate some feedback. Cheers all.

Hi all, I have a rega p2 with a pm6006 amp paired with q acoustics 3030i speakers…was wanting to upgrade the in built phono stage, as mostly listen to vinyl, to the rega ma mk3..would it make a considerable improvement? The p2 is fitted with a at vm95en cartridge. Would appreciate some feedback. Cheers all.
No it won't be a significant upgrade. Generally speaking the in-built phono stages are very good. This is regardless of brand: Marantz, Arcam, Rotel etc etc have all fabulous phono stages.

No it won't be a significant upgrade. Generally speaking the in-built phono stages are very good. This is regardless of brand: Marantz, Arcam, Rotel etc etc have all fabulous phono stages.
I would tend to agree.
biggest improvement is going to be upgrading the cartridge itself, although the one you have is pretty decent.
you could try replacing the stylus with this...

Last edited:
Hi cheers for the feedback, was debating to upgrade to a shibata but outside my budget, the mm mk3 can get as new for ?100. Any other opinions on a upgrade please?
Really, you have to be looking at a phono stage of around £600-700 to hear a worthwhile upgrade. I agree with @Al ears you are better off with upgrading the cartridge. Most of these affordable tables respond well to a better cart. When I had my £210 Pro-ject Xpression 1 I upgraded the stock Ortofon to a ClearAudio to great effect. And it'll be more cost effective than a good phono stage.

Audio Technica
Goldring
ClearAudio Concept
There are many others.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread (is that ok?)- I’m in a v similar position as the OP.

I have a P2 w/ AT VM95ML and Marantz PM6006 UK into Monitor Audio silver 300. I feel the speakers have more to give, especially at lower volumes; I tend to do 50% of my listening early in the morning. Would something like the Rega Aria give me a significant boost here, or should I be looking at turntable/cartridge? Also aware I might be slightly underpowered for these speakers to be at their best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts