Question Rega Fono MM Mk3 VS Moon 110LP v2

montanasan

Oct 4, 2021
Visit site
Hi there,

Rega Fono MM Mk3 VS Moon 110LP v2

Has anyone had the luxury of being able to compare these two preamps side by side? Would love to hear your thoughts.
In theory, as it's the same company, would the Rega be a better fit with my P1?
(FYI - my amp is Cambridge Audio CXA-81).
Thanks in advance, Joe.

Reactions: matbettv
A bit like chalk and cheese I would guess as the Rega is half the price of the Moon and is moving magnet cartridge compatible only.
I would guess the only reason to get the Moon is whether or not you are ever likely to employ moving coil cartridges, no point in paying for this facility if you are not.
P.S., I haven't heard the Moon as they can be hard to find in the UK
If you are sticking with moving magnet then the Rega should fit into your system just fine
If you do need the moving coil facility then I suggest you also look at the MOFI Studiophono preamp

Last edited:

montanasan

Oct 4, 2021
Visit site
A bit like chalk and cheese I would guess as the Rega is half the price of the Moon and is moving magnet cartridge compatible only.
I would guess the only reason to get the Moon is whether or not you are ever likely to employ moving coil cartridges.
P.S., I haven't heard the Moon as they can be hard to find in the UK
If you are sticking with moving magnet then the Rega should fit into your system just fine

I have them both at the moment. Spent the last week or so with the Moon and I've just switched to Rega Fono today. Early days obvs but the Rega has certainly excited my ears so far. Moon sounds excellent possibly a little reserved compared to what I'm listening to today.
(listening to The Blue Nile 'Hats' as I type)

I have them both at the moment. Spent the last week or so with the Moon and I've just switched to Rega Fono today. Early days obvs but the Rega has certainly excited my ears so far. Moon sounds excellent possibly a little reserved compared to what I'm listening to today.
are you auditioning them or have you bought them?
if you have them why are you asking if anyone else has compared them? That's irrelevant surely?

Presumably you have the standard cartridge on that P1?

montanasan

Oct 4, 2021
Visit site
are you auditioning them or have you bought them?
if you have them why are you asking if anyone else has compared them? That's irrelevant surely?
I'm auditioning and will make my own mind on which I prefer.
Interested to hear other folks experiences is why I asked the question. Nothing irrelevant about my curiosity.

montanasan

Oct 4, 2021
Visit site
Can you adjust the tonearm height yourself if need be? As most cartridges I might suggest may need an adjustment in VTA.
Something like the Audio Technica VM95ML should give you a noticeable difference.
So there would need to be a height adjustment with the Audio Technica VM95ML?

If you’ve a Rega P1 I’d spend my money on a Planar 2 or 3, or Project EVO before spending time listening to phono stages. You can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear, and good a budget deck as the P1 is, it’s really non-adjustable by design and best sold as is, with the money going towards a better turntable.

Reactions: Al ears
If you’ve a Rega P1 I’d spend my money on a Planar 2 or 3, or Project EVO before spending time listening to phono stages. You can’t make a silk purse out of a sows ear, and good a budget deck as the P1 is, it’s really non-adjustable by design and best sold as is, with the money going towards a better turntable.
However, with his amplifier, he needs a phono preamp.

It seems the OP is struggling to tell the difference between the two stages, therefore, the prudent choice would be to stick with the Fono or, maybe, look at improving other components

Reactions: nopiano

montanasan

Oct 4, 2021
Visit site
Please can we just stick to my original question? Thanks.

camcroft

I'd rather have better than 'fine'... that's why I'm discussing the other 2 thanks.
At the end of the day you are the one who will be reaping the benefits of what you buy. It's not a perfect world I have bought things and realised afterwards it was not a good choice.
Money is made round to go round. Good luck with whatever you chose.

TRENDING THREADS