Improved phono stage!

PiperVsPiper

Aug 25, 2020
Visit site
Hello all!
Looking for some phono stage advice! I currently have a Rega P6/EXACT > Marantz PM6005> Beovox S45-2 speakers. (Also a Marantz CD player, and my TV but Im less concerned with that).

Would a dedicated phono stage be a worthwhile upgrade over the integrated one in the Marantz? I have my eye on the Rega Fono MM MK3.

The Rega ElexR was recommended to me, but it costs 3x as much, and I would lose the digital in and headphone out that I have now. Mostly trying to improve soundstage/imaging.

Thanks in advance!

Hello all!
Looking for some phono stage advice! I currently have a Rega P6/EXACT > Marantz PM6005> Beovox S45-2 speakers. (Also a Marantz CD player, and my TV but Im less concerned with that).

Would a dedicated phono stage be a worthwhile upgrade over the integrated one in the Marantz? I have my eye on the Rega Fono MM MK3.

The Rega ElexR was recommended to me, but it costs 3x as much, and I would lose the digital in and headphone out that I have now. Mostly trying to improve soundstage/imaging.

Thanks in advance!
I can only say it might, you really have to hear one yourself.
What cartridge do you use?
This is where I would look if soundstage is an issue.

PiperVsPiper

Aug 25, 2020
Visit site
Ill check into the Maia! Ive been pretty satisfied with the Marantz too. Listening in store right now is hard to arrange. My hope, was that for the money I might see a reasonable upgrade with a dedicated phono stage. The ElexR was suggested as replacement, but I would lose the headphone out and digital in for my TV. (Satisfied with the Marantz for that).

My Rega P6 has the Exact 2 cartridge, my "feeling" is that the TT/Cartridge is the strong point right now and improving the phono pre might be the next best step. (As well as being something that could move forward to a better amp and speakers)

Thanks for the replies!

Ill check into the Maia! Ive been pretty satisfied with the Marantz too. Listening in store right now is hard to arrange. My hope, was that for the money I might see a reasonable upgrade with a dedicated phono stage. The ElexR was suggested as replacement, but I would lose the headphone out and digital in for my TV. (Satisfied with the Marantz for that).

My Rega P6 has the Exact 2 cartridge, my "feeling" is that the TT/Cartridge is the strong point right now and improving the phono pre might be the next best step. (As well as being something that could move forward to a better amp and speakers)

Thanks for the replies!
No problem.
If you really want to improve the phono preamp could you spend a little more than the price of the Rega Fono?
Whilst there is nothing inherently wrong with the Rega I believe the MOFI Studio Phono has more to offer and will allow you to upgrade to a Moving Coil cartridge in the future should you so wish. This is available for 289 euros

PiperVsPiper

Aug 25, 2020
Visit site
Ill check into that too! Looks like it's less expensive, unless Im looking at the wrong model. I was leaning towards the Rega MM MK3 because it's available at a local shop, and because people refer to "Rega synergy". They want $395 for it, and I found the MOFI Studiophono online for $200. I suppose I could just hold out and save for a new amp. But Ive got the itch. ☺️

Ill check into that too! Looks like it's less expensive, unless Im looking at the wrong model. I was leaning towards the Rega MM MK3 because it's available at a local shop, and because people refer to "Rega synergy". They want $395 for it, and I found the MOFI Studiophono online for $200. I suppose I could just hold out and save for a new amp. But Ive got the itch. ☺
Are you in the States?
The Rega is only £199 here in the UK and the Mofi is more expensive. Funny old world.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Seek out a Cambridge Audio CA640P phono amp, contact Jez Arkless and let him modify it, and you'll have a phono amp the equal of devices costing up to £1000.
Ah, might be a problem if you're in the US. Sorry.

Jimboo

Why not just audition several phono amps rather than buying one to be ' modified' ? Really ,what is the point buying a product and only to have half of it to be ripped out and rebuilt invalidating the warranty and effectively receiving a returned product that you haven't got the foggiest what it will sound like because a ' guru' has blessed it with his presence ?
God , print a myth and they just queue up to hand it over.

Reactions: 6and8

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts