Worth upgrading to Clearaudio Concept?

s600bsb

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a Rega P3-24/Elys 2 turntable that I listen to through a Marantz PM8005 (and Cambridge Audio Azur 640p) amplifier and a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 5 floorstanding speakers. I listen to a lot of vinyl and have been thinking about upgrading the turntable to a Clearaudio Concept. Is the Clearaudio likely to produce worthwhile improvements in sound quality or would I be better off keeping the Rega and using the money to buy a Rega external power supply and a new cartridge - say an Ortofon 2M Blue?

Grateful for any advice.

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I haven't heard either turntable, but they're not lightyears apart. Someone recently compared the Concept with a Rega and the new Project and came out wanting more. So my guess is a cartridge upgrade might give you a lot more!

friendly_ghost said:
I haven't heard either turntable, but they're not lightyears apart. Someone recently compared the Concept with a Rega and the new Project and came out wanting more. So my guess is a cartridge upgrade might give you a lot more!

There is nothing at all wrong with your current Rega except maybe the cartridge so would tend to agree with a cartridge upgrade however if you are going to do this then you are going to have to spend more than the cost of a 2M Blue. The Rega tonearm will take a much better cartridge so if you want a 'real' upgrade spend more.

If you are simply fed up and fancy a change then now might be a good time to sell the Rega, if that's what youj want to do.Bear in mind the Clearaudio is only one option and there are probably better or as good as others out on the market.

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I would agree, with an arm as good as Rega, you could do some serious up grade with just cartridges. But as mentioned if you want a change, look at more than just Clear Audio, My own favourite up grade would be AnalogueWorks turntables, usualy sold with out arm, but the Rega arms seem to be the popular choice, there is also the superb range of Origin Live arms, starting at £600

Chris Munden said:
I would agree, with an arm as good as Rega, you could do some serious up grade with just cartridges. But as mentioned if you want a change, look at more than just Clear Audio, My own favourite up grade would be AnalogueWorks turntables, usualy sold with out arm, but the Rega arms seem to be the popular choice, there is also the superb range of Origin Live arms, starting at £600

Possibly a more expensive route but a better upgrade path than buying the Clearaudio Concept turntable certainly.

You are correct regards the Origin Live tonearms as I have run a few myself in the past. Mark's tonearms are some of the best hifi 'bargains' out there and you needn't pay full price. There are good second-hand ones around and Origin Live themselves often advertise reconditioned trade-ins on ebay that are well worth looking at. Using the bare AnalogueWorks turntable as a starting point makes good sense unless you really must have a 'package', which ultimately is a waste of money in the longer term.

Chris Munden said:

Sorry, double post for some reason. Possibly sticky 'return' key.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts