Worth Trying to Fix A Sub?

Witterings

My sub's been making funny noises recently and gave up the ghost last night with a slight burning smell.

The power light still comes but makes a popping noise as it powers up and the very occasional "click" sound.
Is it worth trying to fix it or take it in and have it fixed, it's an old Acoustic Energy Evo that came as part of a surround package 15+ years ago.

If I was to try and do it myself, any ideas where I'd start?

Gray

Your start might be as far as you get, but at least it's a "nothing to lose" option - from which any other option can still follow.....

Open it up for a look.
See if the cause of the burning smell is obvious.
It may be that something else has caused the burn, but it will be a start.
An internet search may turn up someone having cured the same symptom - possibly even showing where to look in a YT video.

Is it worth having a look?
Is there a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon? (For normal people yes, but I'm not normal 🤪).

Witterings

Your start might be as far as you get, but at least it's a "nothing to lose" option - from which any other option can still follow.....

Open it up for a look.
See if the cause of the burning smell is obvious.
It may be that something else has caused the burn, but it will be a start.
An internet search may turn up someone having cured the same symptom - possibly even showing where to look in a YT video.

Is it worth having a look?
Is there a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon? (For normal people yes, but I'm not normal 🤪).

You know what I wsa tempted and then the below answer made me think possibly not, I may take it apart anyway though

lol dont burn your house system down .😅😅

Reactions: Gray

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
My sub's been making funny noises recently and gave up the ghost last night with a slight burning smell.

The power light still comes but makes a popping noise as it powers up and the very occasional "click" sound.
Is it worth trying to fix it or take it in and have it fixed, it's an old Acoustic Energy Evo that came as part of a surround package 15+ years ago.

Deep pockets lol .

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Some times it can be as simple as a burnt out capacitor or some such but If you don’t know what your doing though the amp plate contains some very dangerous components with exposed power supplies so be carful.

Nothing wrong with pulling the back plate off and seeing if there is anything that obviously gone pop. Should be pretty obvious if you can smell a burning component.

Reactions: aversaurus

Pistolpete1

Oct 9, 2020
Visit site
I have an AE radiance sub, and had issues some time back with it.
Definitely contact AE for help, as they were very helpful indeed. They even supplied the circuit diagrams (my father is a retired electronic engineer).
But it's definitely worth opening up the enclosure to have a look at the power board...just make sure the power lead is disconnected before opening. Burning smell might be off the power board or the voice coil on the speaker itself, especially if it's been used at high volumes over the years?

If you have an old speaker lying around, it might be worth connecting it up to the power board instead of the sub speaker and see if you get any sound out of it (low volumes). If you do, the speaker itself would probably need replacing. If not, the power board may well be the issue. 👍

Reactions: Gray

Witterings

OK .... change of heart again, thought it might be worth making sure it's powered up and removing the back .... whilst sitting with it on my lap in the bath :ROFLMAO:

I'll make sure I get pic with me wearing a floral shower cap ... not a sight you'd want to see:giggle:

Problem is, I remove the back and if I see something burnt out I wouldn't have a clue if it's a capacitor, resistor or a bacon sandwich ... maybe the smell might help at that stage :ROFLMAO:.

If I post pics can anyone guide me, if I know what it is and can find a part, I'm not afraid of getting a soldering iron out if needs be?

Witterings

Really as an edit to the above .. I think the issue may have been caused by one of 2 things.

It's in a place where the Mrs guides the hoover at it as fast as she can and there's a chance the power lead may have been wrenched in out, in out etc.

More likely, she's tried a more subtle approach of smothering it to death with cushions, blankets and anything else placed on top with the aim of asphyxiation and it's inavertanly worked due to vents being covered and overheating.

Anyway .... all wife jokes aside (she lets me get away with loads), just thought it might be some useful info as to what's caused the problem.

Witterings

I've removed the back and tested the driver with a meter and it's showing 7.9 for an 8ohm driver so does that confirm it's not the driver but the amp?

I've attached a picture of the board and having removed it can't obviously see anything wrong with it / burnt and I now believe it was something else that smelt.

Really not sure what to so at this stage, it's not worth running up a big bill takimg it on somewhere as I may as well replace it with a BX one instead.

If anyone has any ideas would appreciate hearing them.

Attachments

• 20230225_175557.jpg
    20230225_175557.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 11

Gray

does that confirm it's not the driver but the amp?
...or its power supply, yes.

What you do next depends whether / how much you want to get involved.

It should be easy enough to visually check the underside of those PCBs.

Unless they knew of a common fault, the next step for a service centre would be DC voltage checks - the correct values are shown in service manuals and (sometimes) printed on the PCB itself.
In the absence of any such PCB markings, you may not want to go any further....and also because the mains would need to be applied....or there wouldn't be any low voltages to check!
If you're not confident of avoiding live mains, best not to get involved.

You could at least search online, as when faults are common, there's often someone doing the necessary repair on YouTube......

Last edited:
Reactions: Witterings

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts