Worth selling?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hoping to get a Dac Magic at some point soon. Was going to sell my now very rarely used Cambridge 640v2 CD player to help finance the DAC.

Bit dissappointed to see the 'used' prices these CD players are going for on ebay..£40 odd. Doesn't seem worth selling what is still a well performing bit of kit for that money.

Is that the way all my HI FI is going to end up? Does the med/high end stuff suffer the same losses?

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
some names hold their value more than others, for the sake of forty or fifty quid tho i would keep your disc spinner as you'd still have to pay good money to replace it if you felt the fancy. dont forgot also that the dac magic might give your player a different and better sound that makes you dig out all your favourite discs again

A

Anonymous

Had one a few years ago, and Id hold onto it if I was you. Maybe start a second system or someone in the family would have it later down the line.

Was horified by how little I got for mine, so box it up and store it away for the future.

Med level kit holds its price a bit more, but like everything, there is always a bargain to be had somewhere.

Ebay can drive the prices down of some items, but some items you can get a good % back for them.

A

Anonymous

Good advice thanks.

Worth keeping I think.

Question though re the DAC. The DAC magic has the twin Wolfsons WM8740's but I understand the CD player has those exact same Wolfsons anyway.

Will using the magic with the CD player give any benefit??

Was primarily buying it as I use Spotify now.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Black Knight,

The CA Azur 640 V2 is a pretty decent cd player. I would keep it if I were you.

It's also got the 2 Wolfson WM8740 24-Bit/192KHz DAC's as you mentioned, which are still great!

Ronald

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Keep it.

I have an Arcam A65+ amp and CD72T CD player in my loft, because I couldn't/wouldn't let them go for the pittance I would expect to get for them on eBay.

I'd rather keep them for a second system some time in the future. I'd recommend you do the same if you don't currently have a home for it in your primary system.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Are those prices from sellers who'll post? I sold a really old pair of Tannoy E11 speakers a while back. Looking at sold ones they went for about £11 but local pick up only. I never used them so would still rather have 11 quid and some more space in the loft.

As I offered shipping as well I was amazed to sell them for £45 !

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Black Knight:Will using the magic with the CD player give any benefit?

You can't connect the Magic to the 640c v2 - the v2 doesn't have that option; if this is what you meant!

Like others said, keep the 640, not worth to sell that cheap.

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Black Knight:
Good advice thanks.

Worth keeping I think.

Question though re the DAC. The DAC magic has the twin Wolfsons WM8740's but I understand the CD player has those exact same Wolfsons anyway.

Will using the magic with the CD player give any benefit??

Was primarily buying it as I use Spotify now.

In theory connecting the 640 to the DAC magic thru SPDIF will have lower jitter than the 640 by itself according to the specs on the website, and then there is the upscaling from the DAC to factor in, but in reality i found absolutely no difference in sound quality (or non that could be resolved using the 640A V2 amp at any rate!).

I did however use the DAC for the CD player for tidyness of cables and the benefit of only having one pair of interconnects going to the amp, thereby negating issues of crosstalk etc if other inputs were on at the same time....

The only reason i stopped using the DAC like this was when my CA640Cv2 digital output started giving midrange distortion which was clearly audible. Using the line output of the player got rid of this so i could only conclude that the digital output was stuffed. Couldnt complain too much really as the player had given me 5 years of flawless service. This was what spurred me into auditioning the Naim CD5i, you can see from my sig that i ended up spending a whole lot more than i planned haha! thats the risk of listening to nice kit in an audition!

The 640 now sits in my second system with the 640V2 amp (also in sig) and it sounds as good as it always did, very musical indeed for the money. Considering the price these can be had new at richer sounds they are a steal, but at the same time the second hand price is going to be low, so i would defo advise keeping hold!

At any rate you wont gain any sonic benefits from using the DAC instead of the RCA outputs but you wont lose any either, as someone else stated the DAC configuration is identical in both units.

If you want any more info on the combo let me know...

Cheers

Dan

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
vinod_david:Black Knight:Will using the magic with the CD player give any benefit?

You can't connect the Magic to the 640c v2 - the v2 doesn't have that option; if this is what you meant!

Like others said, keep the 640, not worth to sell that cheap.

The 640C V2 has a digital SPDIF output on the back, so can be used with the DAC Magic.

Regards

Dan

A

Anonymous

Thanks all,

That's a great help.

I still haven't used the CD player so as suggested it will be boxed up for now and used in a second system at a later date.

Hopefully get the Dac in September, will use it to connect to PC via USB. I don't think it's even worth bothering hooking up the CD considering how little I use it.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts