Women and hifi

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
tonky said:
Shoes? - I hope your wife knows your size.

tonky

Heels on the other hand...

heelsr_0.jpg

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
avole said:
Says you guys are full of ****. I agree. This is the 21stC, not the age of the "Carry On" films attitude to women.

If you spent some time on a construction site for instance, I think you'd find that attitudes haven't really changed much - it's more a case of men having to be much more careful these days about where and to whom they express those attitudes. Not saying that I condone such behaviour, just that it is the reality of the world we live in.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Which posts are laden with ****, then? I guess there is a bit of dissent on what counts as valid humour, but I'm always nervous of political correctness when applied so indiscriminately.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Surely the simple answer is that women prefer to watch tv.

Much of their conversation at work, I find, is about the awful garbage that they watch on tv. Whereas most of the men, hardly watch tv at all anymore, as it has degenerated so far down the interest scale.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Andrew17321 said:
At the concerts I go to (classical) women make up the majority of the audience. Women like music, but are not that interested in audio equipment. Women also like cars but are generally not interested in what makes them work, or in pumping up their tyres. Women like houses, but generally not to interested in the plumbing.

So?

Actually my wife has made the final decisions on most of our hifi and video purchaces, though I am the one who researches and sets up the systems. I value her judgement on sound and picture quality over mine.

Would she spend more than one minute on this forum? Most certainly not! Draw your own conclusions.

I am surprised that you say this. May I ask where you attend classical concerts. I attend many and would say that the audience is mostly made up of couples or groups of single men. Never women togther or alone. I would gauge it about 60% men to 40% women. So not that far off even, but definitely more men.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I suspect that internet forums are very much the preserve of males. With the exception of Mumsnet and 11+ forum, it must be 90% men, so I'm not so interested in that.

However, I'd be interested to know from those who run hifi shops, what the proportion is among their customers - how many mixed couples (and if so, who seems to take the lead?), how many single men, single women, etc?

Must get that book ordered, as I suspect this really is a Mars/Venus kind of thing.

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
cse said:
Andrew17321 said:
At the concerts I go to (classical) women make up the majority of the audience. Women like music, but are not that interested in audio equipment. Women also like cars but are generally not interested in what makes them work, or in pumping up their tyres. Women like houses, but generally not to interested in the plumbing.

So?

Actually my wife has made the final decisions on most of our hifi and video purchaces, though I am the one who researches and sets up the systems. I value her judgement on sound and picture quality over mine.

Would she spend more than one minute on this forum? Most certainly not! Draw your own conclusions.

I am surprised that you say this. May I ask where you attend classical concerts. I attend many and would say that the audience is mostly made up of couples or groups of single men. Never women togther or alone. I would gauge it about 60% men to 40% women. So not that far off even, but definitely more men.

Mostly in Scotland: Glasgow, Edinburgh and in the Scottish Borders.

It may be that as most classical concert goers tend to be older folk and that there are older women than men alive. Or that most Glasgow men wouldn't be seen dead at a classical concert.

I agee that I don't see that many single women at concerts in Glasgow or Edinburgh, but they come in groups, sometimes bus loads. At chamber concerts in the Borders the women often come singly - they are regulars and they all know each other. The widdows outnumber the couples and the few single men enthusiasts. I guess that is the nature of the place where I live. Nice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts